Kovalensky
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Professional G)
Cause I’m not really sure.
Do they?

I find myself disagreeing with both the left and the right on a variety of issues (on social issues and immigration with the right, on economic issues with the left) so I get hate from both sides because of that.
username3941996
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Miss Maddie)
They're all over the place and don't have any consistant beliefs
At least it’s not biased to one side. They rather looks on all sides than just make a baseless decision. Centrists aren’t as biased and from my experience, they are easier to talk to for a lot of things
username3941996
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kovalensky)
Do they?

I find myself disagreeing with both the left and the right on a variety of issues (on social issues and immigration with the right, on economic issues with the left) so I get hate from both sides because of that.
I mean that’s an example of what I’m getting at.
They want you fully in their side or not at all.
Kovalensky
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Professional G)
I mean that’s an example of what I’m getting at.
They want you fully in their side or not at all.
I should say that there's no necessary internal consistency in, for example, conservative politics. I think the stance of most right-wingers on immigration conflicts with their self-proclaimed stance on economics (namely, free markets). I regard being in favour of immigration as a more consistent application of being an economic liberal (than is being a skeptic of immigration). So the idea that centrists can not be consistent or w/e is ********. Established ideologies can have glaring contradictions and often do.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm not sure why anyone wastes their time or emotions on hate.

Differences of opinion, alternative priorities and a range of interpretations = dialogue.
All these things are crucial to a balanced in-depth discussion, accurate analysis and constructive criticism.
Aggression, hostility and anything of a criminal/slanderous nature only serve to divert from the core purpose- poisoning discussions and creating a toxic social climate for everyone.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Kovalensky)
I should say that there's no necessary internal consistency in, for example, conservative politics. I think the stance of most right-wingers on immigration conflicts with their self-proclaimed stance on economics (namely, free markets). I regard being in favour of immigration as a more consistent application of being an economic liberal (than is being a skeptic of immigration). So the idea that centrists can not be consistent or w/e is ********. Established ideologies can have glaring contradictions and often do.
The traditionalist right - those who have a problem with immigration - were never much for free markets either. The Conservatives virtually tore themselves apart over the Corn Laws, the early 20th century saw active campaigning against free trade and disputes over tariff reform. Some of these were the old High Tories who - in many cases - were effectively feudalists.

There remains a significant appetite for those sorts of politics on the right - and indeed the Patrician Toryism that preceded Margaret Thatcher contained many of these elements. It's only relatively recently that the Conservatives have come to be a party of free markets, and even then it's usually in a limited way.

People who self-identify as small-c conservatives (the Conservative Party itself is a mish-mash) aren't typically much for liberal capitalism.
Last edited by L i b; 1 year ago
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
cause everyone wants to be edgy af lol
winterscoming
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Miss Maddie)
They're all over the place and don't have any consistant beliefs
is that a bad thing? Pragmatists who prefer to find the middle-ground between opposing ideals and willing to accept compromise are the main reason we have peace and stability.
Kovalensky
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by L i b)
The traditionalist right - those who have a problem with immigration - were never much for free markets either. The Conservatives virtually tore themselves apart over the Corn Laws, the early 20th century saw active campaigning against free trade and disputes over tariff reform. Some of these were the old High Tories who - in many cases - were effectively feudalists.

There remains a significant appetite for those sorts of politics on the right - and indeed the Patrician Toryism that preceded Margaret Thatcher contained many of these elements. It's only relatively recently that the Conservatives have come to be a party of free markets, and even then it's usually in a limited way.

People who self-identify as small-c conservatives (the Conservative Party itself is a mish-mash) aren't typically much for liberal capitalism.
Virtually all of the well-known conservative economists internationally identify as pro-free-market. The movement for free-markets on the right has definitely dominated right-wing conservative circles since the 80s and overshadowed traditionalist Toryist communitarianism.

Maybe the dominant strand of conservatism in the UK used to be traditional Toryism but it's not anymore and if you look at it from a global perspective, it never was.

We've seen some populist right-wing surge now with Orban in Hungary and Trump in the US and so forth but those aren't really traditionalists and they mainly represent a backlash against immigration, not really a coherent ideological movement.
username3941996
Rep:
?
(Original post by BlueIndigoViolet)
cause everyone wants to be edgy af lol
Definitely. Apparently Politics is only black and white. You’re either one side or the other.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
People don't hate the centrists. A lack of mainstream centrist politicians is why the country is rather divided at the moment. Elections are won in the centre ground but with Corbyn heading left and the Tories in-fighting, there is nothing in the gap. The next election will be very interesting, especially as it will feature the fall out from Brexit.
Tempest II
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I believe the issue is more that Centrists get lumped in the Pragmatists by those on the hard right and hard left. Of course, some Pragmatists are Centrists but not all.

The Centre can also shift either left or right depending on the political climate, leaving the (former) Centrists isolated in a different camp.
username2703735
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Its like the water of political beliefs, just.... tasteless and dull
Joleee
Report 1 year ago
i don't think they do, not in real life. maybe on TSR.

most people hover around centre because we all benefit from some 'left wing' policy and some 'right wing' policy; we can't help it, we're born into it. we just call ourselves 'left' and 'right' so we can have a distinct political identity and divide ourselves into teams.

most people and politicians hover around centre because that's where we compromise and balance competing interests. the extremities are scary to us because it's all about control.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (103)
13.22%
I'm not sure (34)
4.36%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (241)
30.94%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.44%
I'm not a current university student (382)
49.04%

Watched Threads