hailey.love
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Is anyone planning on doing any creative subject in uni like Art or product design?
Plymouth College Of Art
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Heya Hailey,

I am currently a Photography student at Plymouth College of Art. From A Level, I went on to do a Foundation Diploma in Art and Design before my degree.

I know how daunting the decision of what to do in the future can be, so, if you would like any more information about studying a creative subject or any general advice in making the next step, please feel free to ask!

Hope this helps,
Harriet
Second Year BA(Hons) Photography Student and Student Ambassador at Plymouth College of Art
hailey.love
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I’m sorry about the late reply.It’s just that I’m very confused atm.I really don’t know what I wanna do.And I’m a little worried about judgment from others.i’ve been Contemplating it for a really long time.And now I have reached the end of sixth form and I’m still not sure.At some point in year 12 I was very passionate about business but after working so hard and not seeing results,after all these years. I started giving up.Now my busienss exam is in 3 days.I have finished my art and photography exams,according to the previous years boundaries I managed to get a high A* for photography and I just about scraped a A* for art.I constantly get told be my art and photography teachers that I should do something creative because I’m good at that and they also imply I am not smart .I find it could of daunting that i get told by friends that I shouldn’t worry because I only do one essay based subjects after complaining about being stressed 2/3 times,almost as if I don’t have a right to.I have already applied through UCAS for Business and Management and I’m just not sure my heart is in it anymore.And I also applied to a Degree Apprenticeship for Business and Management,which requires me to get BBB but I feel like I’m mostly relying of my art and photography to get into it.I’m also worried there’s not money in the Arts,enough to make a living off of it.I have contemplated different careers such as a teacher or a dentistry nurse.I only found out now that all my class mates studying both art and photography are resorting to very creative careers such as architecture or interior design.Also,when my friend told me she was doing a design apprenticeship I was surprised because I never really thought it was an option.The problem is I am easily influenced by others and upon hearing my friend talk about the apprenticeship I thought ‘I wanna do that aswell’.my art and photography teacher suggested that I should a one year foundation course for art but where would I go from there?
I apologise for the broken up sentences and punctuation errors
(Original post by Plymouth College Of Art)
Heya Hailey,

I am currently a Photography student at Plymouth College of Art. From A Level, I went on to do a Foundation Diploma in Art and Design before my degree.

I know how daunting the decision of what to do in the future can be, so, if you would like any more information about studying a creative subject or any general advice in making the next step, please feel free to ask!

Hope this helps,
Harriet
Second Year BA(Hons) Photography Student and Student Ambassador at Plymouth College of Art
Plymouth College Of Art
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I totally understand your confusion, there is a lot to think about at that stage and it is completely normal to be worried, confused and unsure as to where to go next. My foundation course helped me to understand what it was that I was interested in, and my tutors helped to guide me with my choice after the course was done. It's important to note that not everyone on the course went on to do a degree, some went on to full-time employment, apprenticeships, etc. and not everyone went on to continue creative paths either, so you're not limiting yourself to a creative path or a degree course.

Try not to get influenced by what others are doing, you need to figure out what is best for you and what you feel is the most beneficial option for you at this time. Try looking into all the options you've heard about, and see if there is some kind of advisor at your school from whom you can seek some advice regarding your decisions.

As for your worries about getting work, the creative industry within the UK alone is now worth over £100 billion. You can find information about the graduate salaries and employment rates from each course on websites such as Which? University, What Uni and UniStats. There are lots of creative degrees that also make sure to give you the skills and know-how to do well in the world of work, whether that be a freelancer or within a creative company. That is one of the reasons I really liked Plymouth College of Art because throughout the three years a module called "Professional Practice" runs, in which students are encouraged to get experience, network and get an idea of where they see themselves.

I hope this helps and if you'd like to know more, please let me know.

Best,
Harriet
Second Year BA(Hons) Photography Student and Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19

Do you work while at uni?