Turn on thread page Beta

Soldier ‘to quit Army’ after his face is used in snowflake advert watch

ReputationRep:
    https://metro.co.uk/2019/01/06/soldi...dvert-8314549/

Don't you think this is bang out of order? Or do you guys think I'm overreacting....
    It's no different from writing 'thief' in bold letters under your photo imo, I would be furious if I was him.

ReputationRep:
    He's certainly living up to his snowflake label.

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: the irony eh?

ReputationRep:
    Why's he getting upset for? He seems to fit the title perfectly...

ReputationRep:
    Well.

I don't think anyone would have recognised that he was part of the ad but oh well.

I actually really like the ad. The message of the ad is basically, the army will turn you into 'army material', no matter who you are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stoyfan)
    Well.

I don't think anyone would have recognised that he was part of the ad but oh well.

I actually really like the ad. The message of the ad is basically, the army will turn you into 'army material', no matter who you are.
    Except nobody actually sees themselves as snowflakes.Thats a derogatory term used by the media and nobody else.You are not going to get people on board by calling them patronising names.

ReputationRep:
    At a basic level, if he's not been told how his face was going to be used, then it's reasonable to be mad if it's used in what you perceive to be a bad way. The article also says he claims to have been ridiculed after the fact, so no wonder really.

Out of touch british army ad campaigns strike again, I suppose. Shoulda kept it a bit more general like the navy's "I was born in Carlisle" thing

ReputationRep:
    That's not bang out of order.

B
    N
    G
    A

^ That's bang out of order.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Not that big a deal but they didn't tell him his face was being used?!?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm apparently MoD said they did tell him beforehand.... So someone's definitely telling porkies here!

https://news.sky.com/story/mod-hits-...-quit-11600515

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stoyfan)
    The royal navy's done basically the same message in the past, but without the weird accidentally patronising out of touch dad vibes. They're really trying too hard to do very specfic targetted ads lately when it's only hurting them.

'Snow flakes' specifically was the dumbest one, seeing as literally nobody self-identifies as one, but instead gets called one by piers morgan on twitter for liking the idea of the greggs vegan sausage roll or something. People don't believe that they're 'not army material' because they get called names in arguments sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    Like he has the choice. Joined in 2016, earliest out is 2020.

Enjoy your remaining two years, pal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obolinda)
    Not that big a deal but they didn't tell him his face was being used?!?
    Maybe it's in small print on their registration form that photos of them will be used for advertising, or maybe he ticked a box. poor guy.

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha

ReputationRep:
    How do snowlfakes serve in an industry all about bombs, bullets, death, power and banter?

ReputationRep:
    I completely agree with him, I'd be furious my image being plastered with such slander.
    The army wanting to recruit people that self identify as a snowflake will end in tears - many lawsuits and no doubt cowardice.
    Those 'triggered' and offended by seemingly everything are of little use to society and certainly shouldn't be putting real soldiers at risk with their antics and safe spaces

ReputationRep:
    being in the infantry is all about triggering tho'

• Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    Is a rubbish advert anyway since they are so obviously trying to backtrack from their 'inclusive' praying and crying adverts that went down like a lead balloon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    Is a rubbish advert anyway since they are so obviously trying to backtrack from their 'inclusive' praying and crying adverts that went down like a lead balloon
    i would have you in my platoon kv

:hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    What's the crying advert? I remember the praying one.

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.