isabelmarant
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey guys, my mock exams start tomorrow and I've done all I can in terms of revision. However, the year aboves in school have said their mock exams were way harder than the real GCSE exams, with people who revised tons for both their mocks and GCSEs getting 5s or 6s (Bs) in the mocks and straight 9s in the real GCSEs (A**). So what's the deal? The school seems to want to make them harder to propel us into working harder because we're scared of failing after bad mocks results, but what's the point of making them harder than the real thing?

People at school are incredibly stressed, especially because my school is so highly academically achieving and there's a lot of pressure to get all 9s. People are losing sleep and there's a host of mental health problems that can arise from stress, but pastoral care at school is sh*t. I'm scared that I'll get disappointed after mocks, because I've worked so hard over the xmas holidays (6+ hours of revision a day, even on xmas day!) but I could come out of the mocks with 6s.

Anyone else has a school that wants them to fail their mocks??
Stinga
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Im assuming they are using the same past paper questions and all they're doing is putting the grade boundries way higher than usuall even though that seems counter-intuitive. The one way to make sure you get 9s is to get full marks on all the papers
Saiqaahmed
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My daughter works hard but on her mocks exam she not getting good grades she's telling me that the mock exams are really really hard but she's been told IGCSE exams easier she is predicted a 5 in maths in her mocks but when she goes tuition she is doing exam papers and she's game predicted at 8 and a 9 but the school mocks are hard she said so I'm quite worried for my daughter not sure how she reacts because she's just getting told off by me everyday because she's not revising enough I am saying it she's saying to me that exam papers are hard the mock ones
wagwan2122
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Yh blud man got a's and 9's what you gonna do now init init
anon752
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
my mocks were harder but i guess it’s partly because when you do your gcses you have revised more and the content is more solid in your brain, also teachers tend to make their own grade boundaries for mocks which tend to be higher than normal grade boundaries so you could get the same mark in gcses but get a 5 in your mocks and an 8 in your gcses
Wesxmm
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by isabelmarant)
Hey guys, my mock exams start tomorrow and I've done all I can in terms of revision. However, the year aboves in school have said their mock exams were way harder than the real GCSE exams, with people who revised tons for both their mocks and GCSEs getting 5s or 6s (Bs) in the mocks and straight 9s in the real GCSEs (A**). So what's the deal? The school seems to want to make them harder to propel us into working harder because we're scared of failing after bad mocks results, but what's the point of making them harder than the real thing?

People at school are incredibly stressed, especially because my school is so highly academically achieving and there's a lot of pressure to get all 9s. People are losing sleep and there's a host of mental health problems that can arise from stress, but pastoral care at school is sh*t. I'm scared that I'll get disappointed after mocks, because I've worked so hard over the xmas holidays (6+ hours of revision a day, even on xmas day!) but I could come out of the mocks with 6s.

Anyone else has a school that wants them to fail their mocks??
I got a 4 in my english lit mock but an 8 in the real exam. Also for geography I got a 2 in my mock but a 6 in the real exam.

However for subjects like Maths most people only get like 1 grade higher max than what they go in their mocks in my school.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (69)
22.77%
Excited but a bit nervous (135)
44.55%
Not bothered either way (37)
12.21%
I'm really nervous (62)
20.46%

Watched Threads