This discussion is closed.
Saracen's Fez
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
M519 – Motion to Declare the United Kingdom an Empire 2019, The Champion.m4a MP
This House believes that Her Majesty's government should work to declare the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland an empire, and change its name known internationally to the "Empire of Great Britain".

An empire is typically defined as a country that rules over multiple nations. The United Kingdom currently holds possessions on all seven continents on Earth, and even within the British Isles, there exists the historical Kingdom of Scotland, Principality of Wales, and a region of Ireland, on top of The Channel Islands and The Isle of Man.

The monarch of the United Kingdom, Her Majesty The Queen Elizabeth II, is likewise on the throne of 15 other sovereign states, in addition to being the head of The Commonwealth of Nations with more than 50 member countries, and the Supreme-Governor of The Church of England, whose Archbishop of Canterbury leads the global Anglican Communion.

While the Crown of the informally known British Empire only received the title "emperor" or "empress" during the time when the United Kingdom ruled over the then-newly created Empire of India, the United Kingdom then and now fully qualify to receive the status of being an "empire". That is, of course, without considering the legitimacy of the short reign of the Lady of the English, Empress Matilda, Holy Roman Empress, Duchess of Normandy, Princess of England.

Currently, there is only one head of state or government with the title "emperor" - Japan, who has an "emperor" despite having given up their status as an empire since the end of WWII and not qualifying as an empire by common interpretation of the word. In fact, in Japanese, the title for their sovereign would be better understood as "great heavenly king". In history, there have also been empires that ruled over mostly just one race of people, such as the Austrian Empire, the Austria-Hungary Empire, the Holy Roman Empire, the Roman Empire, the Aztec Empire, the Inca Empire, the numerous Chinese Empires, the Manchurian Empire, the Japanese Empire, the Tibetan Empire, the Khmer Empire, the Burmese Empire, the Siam Empire, the German Empire, the Habsburg Empire, the ancient Egyptian Empires, the Mali Empire, the Maya Empire, the Korean Empire, as well as the multiple Indian Empires, just to name a few. This means it is not without precedent that an empire could be ruling over just one race, or even one ethnic group, within its territories (which in some cases, might not have been vast).

Given that at the moment the United Kingdom clearly fits the description as an empire, and that the imperial title is held by monarchs who were and are less qualified, Her Majesty's government should rename the United Kingdom to the Empire of Great Britain, and HM The Queen should receive the style Her Imperial Majesty The Empress.
04MR17
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Just because we look like an Empire shouldn't mean we must name ourselves as such and act proud of it. No.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Andrew97
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
A strong Aye! I encourage colleagues to follow suit.
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I don’t like the term Empire as it has fascistic connotations to me personally, thus I shall be voting no.
ChoccyIceCream
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
M519 – Motion to Declare the United Kingdom an Empire 2019, The Champion.m4a MP
This House believes that Her Majesty's government should work to declare the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland an empire, and change its name known internationally to the "Empire of Great Britain".

An empire is typically defined as a country that rules over multiple nations. The United Kingdom currently holds possessions on all seven continents on Earth, and even within the British Isles, there exists the historical Kingdom of Scotland, Principality of Wales, and a region of Ireland, on top of The Channel Islands and The Isle of Man.

The monarch of the United Kingdom, Her Majesty The Queen Elizabeth II, is likewise on the throne of 15 other sovereign states, in addition to being the head of The Commonwealth of Nations with more than 50 member countries, and the Supreme-Governor of The Church of England, whose Archbishop of Canterbury leads the global Anglican Communion.

While the Crown of the informally known British Empire only received the title "emperor" or "empress" during the time when the United Kingdom ruled over the then-newly created Empire of India, the United Kingdom then and now fully qualify to receive the status of being an "empire". That is, of course, without considering the legitimacy of the short reign of the Lady of the English, Empress Matilda, Holy Roman Empress, Duchess of Normandy, Princess of England.

Currently, there is only one head of state or government with the title "emperor" - Japan, who has an "emperor" despite having given up their status as an empire since the end of WWII and not qualifying as an empire by common interpretation of the word. In fact, in Japanese, the title for their sovereign would be better understood as "great heavenly king". In history, there have also been empires that ruled over mostly just one race of people, such as the Austrian Empire, the Austria-Hungary Empire, the Holy Roman Empire, the Roman Empire, the Aztec Empire, the Inca Empire, the numerous Chinese Empires, the Manchurian Empire, the Japanese Empire, the Tibetan Empire, the Khmer Empire, the Burmese Empire, the Siam Empire, the German Empire, the Habsburg Empire, the ancient Egyptian Empires, the Mali Empire, the Maya Empire, the Korean Empire, as well as the multiple Indian Empires, just to name a few. This means it is not without precedent that an empire could be ruling over just one race, or even one ethnic group, within its territories (which in some cases, might not have been vast).

Given that at the moment the United Kingdom clearly fits the description as an empire, and that the imperial title is held by monarchs who were and are less qualified, Her Majesty's government should rename the United Kingdom to the Empire of Great Britain, and HM The Queen should receive the style Her Imperial Majesty The Empress.
Hear, hear!
CountBrandenburg
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ChoccyIceCream)
Hear, hear!
Hi welcome to MHoC! Would you be interested in joining a party?
TheRadishPrince
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I see no point in doing this. Nobody dislikes the current name of our nation, a name which has existed steadily for generations. Easy no vote on this.
Saunders16
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I strongly oppose this motion. It is at this point in our history we need to be moving away from fascist and imperialistic connotations, away from being perceived as an insular and nationalistic nation and assuring the world that we are still the soft power they have known us as for many years. Do not fall for stupidity because it may sound nice.
CatusStarbright
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It sounds far too imperial and reminiscent of colonialism, therefore it is a nay from me. There are negative connotations here that we should seek to avoid.
LeapingLucy
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Not that I would vote yes anyway, but why are you excluding Northern Ireland from the name?
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Aye.

As a fan of liberal imperialism i would prefer 'Imperium' but Empire better reflects our should be standing in the world such is our manifest destiny.
LifeIsFine
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I feel the proverb, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", is appropriate in this case. Nay.
04MR17
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Aye.

As a fan of liberal imperialism i would prefer 'Imperium' but Empire better reflects our should be standing in the world such is our manifest destiny.
Wait you think we're standing? In terms of world affairs Britain is currently passed out on the sofa....
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Aye.

The British Imperium does have a nice ring to it.
The Champion.m4a
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by LeapingLucy)
Not that I would vote yes anyway, but why are you excluding Northern Ireland from the name?
Northern Ireland is not typically a part of Her Majesty's government in London.

If the Republic of Ireland agrees to be re-incorporated into the United Kingdom, I would be willing to make it the Empire of Great Britain and Ireland.
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by The Champion.m4a)
Northern Ireland is not typically a part of Her Majesty's government in London.

If the Republic of Ireland agrees to be re-incorporated into the United Kingdom, I would be willing to make it the Empire of Great Britain and Ireland.
Nonsense - Northern Ireland is no less a part of the United Kingdom than Scotland or Wales, yet you include them explicitly by referring to Great Britain.
Mr T 999
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Aye to the British Empire!
The Champion.m4a
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Connor27)
Nonsense - Northern Ireland is no less a part of the United Kingdom than Scotland or Wales, yet you include them explicitly by referring to Great Britain.
When was the last Irish prime minister? When was the last Scottish prime minister? Was there a Good Friday's Agreement for Scotland?

Wales is included mostly because I don't necessarily see it as a uniquely identifiable ethnic community, and they have indeed been included as a part of England for a very long period of time.

Also, historically, there's clear differences between (Northern) Ireland and Scotland. Ireland became a dominion of England as a lordship, a gift from the Bishop of Rome, when it didn't even really exist as a united territory (there were hundreds of kings). In other words, it became a part of England much like the "Empire of India" did - as a dominion, and as a newly created entity.

Scotland, on the other hand, has itself a long history of being a unified kingdom, and its monarchy has been kept in tact. Technically, it was Scotland eho swallowed up the rest of the British Isles from this point of view.

"Great Britain" has also been the way people commonly call the UK, both officially (the "GB" initials) and unofficially (When people converse).
The Champion.m4a
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by mr T 999)
Aye to the British Empire!
Correction: This new name would be the Great British Empire
04MR17
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by The Champion.m4a)
If the Republic of Ireland agrees to be re-incorporated into the United Kingdom
:toofunny: Good one.:lol: :congrats:
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (68)
15.74%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (44)
10.19%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (81)
18.75%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (61)
14.12%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (46)
10.65%
How can I be the best version of myself? (132)
30.56%

Watched Threads