The Student Room Group

Foundation a year after an access course?

I'm currently studying on an access course in Biomedical Sciences and even have offers to study Biochemistry at excellent universities including my first choice. On paper I'm doing really well so far and feel I could quite possibly secure 45 distinctions.

The problem is, I don't feel prepared for a sciences degree at a top university. I usually only begin to understand a topic when it comes to completing assignments and have compared against A-level content, looked at first year university past papers, and realised that whilst I have learnt a huge amount since September, I still just don't know enough. I realise having doubts and impostor syndrome is common, particularly for mature students, but I think this is more than that. I'm terrified of getting to university and not being able to cope - or worse, scraping by and never excelling to the extent that I'll be able to pursue a scientific career.

Anyhow, I'm considering contacting the university and asking if I could start on the foundation year for Biochemistry instead. I realise this might sound a little pointless given that it's supposedly the same level, and may well be very similar, but I really want to establish firm building blocks before moving on to degree level.

Could this be a good idea? Has anyone else done this and found it useful? Or rather, has anyone else felt this way before starting university in a hard sciences subject, yet managed to excel anyway? I'd really appreciate hearing from sciences students at university who came through an access course.
Wouldn't bother. Foundation is just another Access course.

You can catch up in a year, which is what you think you'd be doing on a foundation year (except you'd not be catching up as you'd be completing the same old basic stuff). A year is even more important for a mature student.
Reply 2
I'm not in a hurry to reach my goals. I'll be just under 30 by the time I graduate anyhow, so it doesn't worry me too much if I'll be the other side of 30 instead.

To explain a bit more, the teaching at my college has been quite disappointing. We only have 9 hours of contact a week to begin with. Our primary tutor is universally agreed to be a bad teacher, and our other tutor has a chronic condition, which means about a third of our lessons have been cancelled without warning. I'm not exaggerating - some people are seriously discussing the possibility of taking the college to court for material breach of contract.

Additionally, I'm working so many hours alongside the course that I barely have time to do more than show up, briefly review the lessons, complete the assignments and then start new ones. On a foundation year I'd have maintenance loan funding and be able to not work. I could focus more. Plus there's far more teaching hours, and from reviewing the topic list there's a lot more breadth.

I know it sounds like I'm making excuses and I should crack on with it - which is what I'm worried about the university saying - but I really do feel like I'm capable, putting the work in and I'm thoroughly enjoying it - but I want to make sure my learning is built on firm foundations before moving higher.
Original post by Notoriety
Wouldn't bother. Foundation is just another Access course.

You can catch up in a year, which is what you think you'd be doing on a foundation year (except you'd not be catching up as you'd be completing the same old basic stuff). A year is even more important for a mature student.
Reply 3
I would also dive straight in - Remember - Year 1 at Uni doesnt count towards your classification. Just use that as your adjustment period. I think a foundation year is a waste of £££.

Ref teaching levels and contact hours - Prepare to be underwhelmed also when you attend University. Here, we have more contact hours than any other course - 15. This is just the way it is..
Reply 4
Thanks for the advice. Whilst it's true year 1 usually doesn't count towards your degree classification (or not much), I'd like to pursue a YINI and the transcript from your first year is very important in terms of securing one. The extra year of loans don't concern me either. I'm tempted to just dive right in so I can become a successful scientist as soon as possible, but I know that won't happen if I try to run before I can walk.

Anyhow I contacted the university and they advised me that I was welcome to switch if I so choose, that it wouldn't affect my offer, and they know of access students who have done so before, so ultimately it depends on what's best for me. I'm visiting again next month so will hopefully be able to glean more then.
Original post by Bambae
I'm currently studying on an access course in Biomedical Sciences and even have offers to study Biochemistry at excellent universities including my first choice. On paper I'm doing really well so far and feel I could quite possibly secure 45 distinctions.

The problem is, I don't feel prepared for a sciences degree at a top university. I usually only begin to understand a topic when it comes to completing assignments and have compared against A-level content, looked at first year university past papers, and realised that whilst I have learnt a huge amount since September, I still just don't know enough. I realise having doubts and impostor syndrome is common, particularly for mature students, but I think this is more than that. I'm terrified of getting to university and not being able to cope - or worse, scraping by and never excelling to the extent that I'll be able to pursue a scientific career.

Anyhow, I'm considering contacting the university and asking if I could start on the foundation year for Biochemistry instead. I realise this might sound a little pointless given that it's supposedly the same level, and may well be very similar, but I really want to establish firm building blocks before moving on to degree level.

Could this be a good idea? Has anyone else done this and found it useful? Or rather, has anyone else felt this way before starting university in a hard sciences subject, yet managed to excel anyway? I'd really appreciate hearing from sciences students at university who came through an access course.

I'm doing an access course and this also worries me too! However, I think a lot of people have forgotten the information by university anyway haha, the main thing to remember is we will have a good few months in the summer before starting uni so my plan is to study what I feel we haven't covered during this time so I am more prepared! Hope this helps:smile: I wouldn't waste time doing a foundation year after an access course personally
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous061299
I'm doing an access course and this also worries me too! However, I think a lot of people have forgotten the information by university anyway haha, the main thing to remember is we will have a good few months in the summer before starting uni so my plan is to study what I feel we haven't covered during this time so I am more prepared! Hope this helps:smile: I wouldn't waste time doing a foundation year after an access course personally

Very true about a lot of people forgetting the content over the summer. As older students we worry so much about not making the grade, yet our soon-to-be academic peers are irresponsible teenagers! It's easy to worry and overestimate requirements.

I think an access course is what you make of it honestly. If you have the benefit of experience or background knowledge in your subject before starting, and/or lots of free time to study, you can definitely excel. For me, I'm just about completing assignments and not much else. I have a fraction of the knowledge and understanding of a typical school leaver. Don't get me wrong, I'm proud of my achievements so far, I feel capable of learning and am so much happier in education, but compared to other people in my class or your typical school leaver, the knowledge isn't there. For most people, foundation after access would be dumb, but for myself I'm seriously considering it. Everyone I've asked has advised against it though (except the uni who were neutral) so we'll see:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending