The Student Room Group

Sociology essay help & general advice (undergraduate)

Hi guys,

So im enrolled on a sociology module at uni (UCL), im finding it really difficult to get my head around the subject.

Can anyone help me with:
1 finding good, and easy to read academic articles to reference
2 some examples of good essays

My topic can be on: Marx, weber, Durkheim, Brexit, globalisation, postmodernism.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, even if your not the "expert".

Cheers
Try Google Scholar
Can anyone with a little experience give me some guidance about how to tackle this essay:

Word Count: Between 1500 and 2000 words

Please choose one question (or propose your own topic, subject to approval):

1) Marx's economic analysis Das Kapital has been criticised by modern economists as logically flawed, and showing a lack of understanding of basic economic concepts. Is this a valid criticism?

2) How can Weber's concept of power help us understand 21st century society?

3) How should the problem of anomie be addressed in present day society?

4) Is functionalism still helpful to understand 21st century society?

5) "Rational choice approaches excessively oversimplify reality". Discuss.

6) "Postmodernist theories are nothing but pretentious nonsense, and they don't offer any added value to Sociology". Discuss.

7) How can sociological theories and tools help us understand Brexit? Discuss, relying on insights and theories from the entire module (not just the lecture on Brexit).

8) "Modern Sociology has become excessively dominated by the concept of globalisation, which is nothing but an unhelpful cliche". Discuss.

I will love you forever
Original post by Adam_tsr
Try Google Scholar

I have tried this, however most of the reading seems overly complicated and its very hard to find whats useful in order to actually be able to reference it....any other advise?
Any of these are good: guardian, telegraph, the conversation(particularly good for sociology), the sociology review(think you have to pay for this one), the week, the Bauman Institute(this is good as Bauman contributed greatly to postmodernism theory). You can try some books written by Marx, Durkheim, Weber etc.

And for essay examples just search up your essay question or statement and you might find some examples. There’s a website good for essay examples called markedbyteacher
Thread moved to the Sociology study help forum.:yy::wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending