The Student Room Group

RAF medical - temp. Medically unfit

Hello,

I’ve had a look on the threads and can’t seem to find anything for my specific query.

I applied to be a Personnel support officer with the airforce and the medical has deemed my temporarily medically unfit. The reason for this is that I was put on sumatriptan for a ‘migraine’ (I wouldn’t even regard myself as having a migraine but I had a bad head one day in work and my manager insisted I go to the dr’s as I’d had a history of it from a while back).

Is it worth going in for an appeal or hang on until the date they gave me (April 2020).

I’d appreciate any advice/guidance.

Thanks 🙏🏻
Reply 1
If you look up 'RAF medical conditions that preclude entry' ir states that you cannot apply if you have had 'migraines or the use of preventative medication in the last 2 years'.

Hindsight's a wonderful thing and you weren't to know how your application would be affected when you went to the doctor's. However, appeals are usually made on the grounds that medical records have information that is incorrect or missing. In your case, you may not be happy with the TMU decision, but you were on medication, so what do you think would be the basis for an appeal?

I think it's one you may have to wait out.
Reply 2
Thank you for your reply. I knew about the conditions that preclude entry and thought it may be put on hold. I did have a letter from my GP stating it shouldn’t have been prescribed in the first place but that doesn’t seem to have been taken in to consideration (no mention on the decision letter).

I wouldn’t have classed the headache as a migraine in the first place and I’ve since had the prescription taken off as I’ve never actually used it. My Dr and I spoke about the prescription and it was prescribed more as a ‘just in case’ to get my manager off my back as I’d had migraines in the past...none within the last two years, though.

Just wondering more if anyone has successfully appealed for something similar. I’m aware they have very strict rules for a reason and I can wait until next year if that’s the way it falls...

(Original post by Surnia)
If you look up 'RAF medical conditions that preclude entry' ir states that you cannot apply if you have had 'migraines or the use of preventative medication in the last 2 years'.

Hindsight's a wonderful thing and you weren't to know how your application would be affected when you went to the doctor's. However, appeals are usually made on the grounds that medical records have information that is incorrect or missing. In your case, you may not be happy with the TMU decision, but you were on medication, so what do you think would be the basis for an appeal?

I think it's one you may have to wait out.
Original post by Jlou89
Hello,

I’ve had a look on the threads and can’t seem to find anything for my specific query.

I applied to be a Personnel support officer with the airforce and the medical has deemed my temporarily medically unfit. The reason for this is that I was put on sumatriptan for a ‘migraine’ (I wouldn’t even regard myself as having a migraine but I had a bad head one day in work and my manager insisted I go to the dr’s as I’d had a history of it from a while back).

Is it worth going in for an appeal or hang on until the date they gave me (April 2020).

I’d appreciate any advice/guidance.

Thanks 🙏🏻

Hi

You could appeal, you'll need to give as much evidence as you can to go with it. But it's not guraranteed that it will be successful. As you've been made temporarily unfit (rather than permanent) then you can wait until the date you've been given and then re-apply. The decision of whether you appeal is up to you.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Reply 4
I was made tmu for a silly reason which was on the list. However just before I was about to appeal, my AFCO rang and said that they wanted me to join and applied for a waiver for me. That went through very quickly and I am now continuing with my application.
Reply 5
They’ve just done the same for me :thumbsup: so relieved!!
HelloMy son had a telephone medical interview and he stated that he used an asthma inhaler when he was 6 years old. He is not an asthma sufferer but we lived in South Africa at that stage and he used it during one change of seasons as a result of high pollen levels. Since then he has never had any asthmatic problems and have not used any inhalers. Today he received a letter that his application is put on hold due to being temporary medically unfit. He has not yet had a full mefical test yey. What is the next step and does this mean he has no chance of joining the RAF now? He is devastated as he is a highly competitive sportsman and never had any athmatic problems since he was 6.
Reply 7
Original post by Yolandefourie
HelloMy son had a telephone medical interview and he stated that he used an asthma inhaler when he was 6 years old. He is not an asthma sufferer but we lived in South Africa at that stage and he used it during one change of seasons as a result of high pollen levels. Since then he has never had any asthmatic problems and have not used any inhalers. Today he received a letter that his application is put on hold due to being temporary medically unfit. He has not yet had a full mefical test yey. What is the next step and does this mean he has no chance of joining the RAF now? He is devastated as he is a highly competitive sportsman and never had any athmatic problems since he was 6.

There will be further investigation done into your son's medical history and he'll have to wait for the result.

If he has any questions on the process he should contact his AFCO as they are the official source of information. However, neither they nor anyone on here can say whether or not your son will be successful in passing his medical assessment.
Thank you for your feedback. Was just anxious to find out the next step as he hasn't been to a doctor the past 5 years since we've immigrated as he is in perfect health so they did contact our GP and confirmed there are no medical records so just confused if he will still have the opportunity for a full medical test?
Reply 9
Thank you for your feedback. Was just anxious to find out the next step as he hasn't been to a doctor the past 5 years since we've immigrated as he is in perfect health so they did contact our GP and confirmed there are no medical records so just confused if he will still have the opportunity for a full medical test?

Sorry, do you mean your son has no medical records at all? What happened when you registered with your GP?
He has a medical record as we did registered him with our GP but he never had to go to the GP as he has had no problems since we arrived here so no record of any illnesses or athma as he never had asthma. So we're a bit confused of why he was declared TMU. So we're trying to find out the process and if he will still be asked to attend a full medical test or are they using the telephone interview as finsl decision. Sorry for the confusion. A bit new to the systems and as his AFCO is closed now we thought to ask on here as we're eager to find out. Thank you for your advice so far.
He has a medical record as we did registered him with our GP but he never had to go to the GP as he has had no problems since we arrived here so no record of any illnesses or athma as he never had asthma. So we're a bit confused of why he was declared TMU. So we're trying to find out the process and if he will still be asked to attend a full medical test or are they using the telephone interview as finsl decision. Sorry for the confusion. A bit new to the systems and as his AFCO is closed now we thought to ask on here as we're eager to find out. Thank you for your advice so far.

He's TMU because he self-declared being prescribed an inhaler - that requires an investigation. He will have to go back to the prescribing Doctor in South Africa and track down the original prescription - asthma or hayfever due to a reaction to pollen, he may well find himself permanently unfit. His current sporting excellence is irrelevant.

Alternatively, if he was 6 years old, he could check with his parents and realise he mis-remembered.
Thank you so much. When they asked him the question he said afterwards they asked him something about asthma but he wasn't sure. He didn't even have a prescribed inhaler and rarely ever went to a doctor in SA and certainly never had asthma so I guess it was a total misunderstanding. Hopefully we will be able to solve this through a full medical test. Thank you for your help.
Reply 13
Thank you so much. When they asked him the question he said afterwards they asked him something about asthma but he wasn't sure. He didn't even have a prescribed inhaler and rarely ever went to a doctor in SA and certainly never had asthma so I guess it was a total misunderstanding. Hopefully we will be able to solve this through a full medical test. Thank you for your help.

Bear in mind it may not get to the stage of a full medical test if there is something in your son's records that is seen as a bar to entry; certain conditions can stop an application altogether. If he is unsuccessful there is an appeals process.

It's now just a case of wait and see what happens.

Quick Reply

Latest