Normanisation of England

Watch this thread
LeiaRP1
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I really am unsure how to approach this question:

'The main consequence of Normanisation of England was that the King became more powerful' - How far do you agree and why?

You may use the following in your answer:
- The Feudal System - Archbishop Lafranc
Darcey Palmer
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
I have the exact same question in my history booklet and I'm confused. Do you have any tips?
Last edited by Darcey Palmer; 2 years ago
TheHistoryNerd_
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Darcey Palmer)
I have the exact same question in my history booklet and I'm confused. Do you have any tips?
Hello there! I studied Norman England at GCSE so hopefully, I can help? So when the Normans invented the feudal system, King William was placed at the top of it (think of it as a pyramid). However, the Anglo-Saxons also had a feudal system in which the King was at the top too. The big difference between the two is that in the Norman feudal system, the King OWNS the land and gives the land to the church and nobles, who then give land to the peasants in return for military service, food and protection. So the King is more powerful in this sense. Here's a great video that explains the feudal system really well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txA48AcJNmg . Don't forget that William also made changes to law and order (ordeal by combat and forest laws, for example) which also contributed to the King becoming more powerful. In regards to Archbishop Lanfranc, William the Conqueror did replace Anglo-Saxon bishops and archbishops with Normans, including him replacing Archbishop Stigand with Lanfranc, by 1080 only one Anglo-Saxon bishop was left. Therefore, the King became much more powerful because (in colloquial terms) he had his Norman pals in the church, meaning the King had more influence and control over the church (we know that the Church and the King were constantly battling for who was at the top) making him more powerful.

If you have any questions just ask, these points will need expanding to answer an essay question though (not sure how many marks your said question is, which will obviously impact how many points and paragraphs you need).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
20.83%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (1)
4.17%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
16.67%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (2)
8.33%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
29.17%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (5)
20.83%

Watched Threads