The Student Room Group

Mum wants to live with me at Uni

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Anonymous
I'm working full time in my gap year and can afford to pay the first 2 and a half years of accommodation fees...

Except my parents think I just want to leave them for good and I don't care about them and that I'm being selfish for wanting to spend this money on my own accommodation instead of contributing to our family's living costs...

They keep saying if I want to pay for my own accommodation, then they won't help me pay for the rest - which I will need in 3rd/4th year of uni as I will run out of money :/ Student loan doesn't cover accommodation.

I do try and have got good a levels already but they think it is acceptable for my mum to live with me and that I'm a terrible person for "discarding my parents" and I "clearly don't care about them"

I do want to maintain good relationships with my parents but even with a full time job this year I can't afford all 4 years of my accommodation on my own and living costs, which student loan does not cover T_T

I am in the midst of persuading them but idk how to do it and I want to do it in the most peaceful way possible

Do you have a teacher that you could talk to about this who might be able to influence your mum? If your parent have no experience of universities they might see it as an extension of school when actually it is not. Nobody takes their parents with them.

Part of going to university is being independent, sorting out your own problems and learning to stand on your own feet. This an important and natural part of becoming an adult and it helps to develop the skills you will need to become successful in the jobs market.

University only takes up about 30 weeks of the year so you will have plenty of time to visit. I have seen 3 children through university and from my experience it actually tightens the bond by making them realise just how their parents have supported them and what they have done for them. Nothing makes people appreciate a home cooked meal more than having to cook for themselves during term time!

Best of luck with your parents
Original post by bones-mccoy
Which uni doesn't allow students to work alongside study???!

Plenty of people balance uni work, a job and a social life. It is possible. You can always apply and leave if the workload is too much or ask to cut your hours down.

Cambridge/Imperial College (still unconfirmed which I go to)
You are not allowed a part time job at Cambridge
And it's not advised to have a part time job at Imperial.
It's not a question of why can't I work or I'm not allowed to - I wouldn't want to work with such an intensive study workload.
Apply for a maintenance loan which can be used for accommodation and other living costs. Since you’re eligible for SF and are a home student, you should be able to get some maintenance money
Not a good idea.
Original post by Seamus123
Crazy. I’m 70 and just graduated. I wouldn’t dream of having one of my kids living with me at uni or at any other time in my life unless I was ready to go in my box. I don’t owe my children and they don’t owe me.
Your mum may not be able to work, but that’s not a reason to be lonely.
However, you have good relations with your Mum, so you need to find a balance between you having a life and progressing in life and your Mum letting go. You don’t want to, in a few years down the line, resent her.

Yes! I've always striving for this balance, but they seem to think that either I'm always with my parents, or if I want some independence I don't want them in my life anymore :C
Original post by marple
Do you have a teacher that you could talk to about this who might be able to influence your mum? If your parent have no experience of universities they might see it as an extension of school when actually it is not. Nobody takes their parents with them.

Part of going to university is being independent, sorting out your own problems and learning to stand on your own feet. This an important and natural part of becoming an adult and it helps to develop the skills you will need to become successful in the jobs market.

University only takes up about 30 weeks of the year so you will have plenty of time to visit. I have seen 3 children through university and from my experience it actually tightens the bond by making them realise just how their parents have supported them and what they have done for them. Nothing makes people appreciate a home cooked meal more than having to cook for themselves during term time!

Best of luck with your parents

Thank you! My parents do not like me speaking to others regarding personal issues (hence anonymous) and it would just seem like i'm just ganging up on them or something. From experience, I don't think they would listen to others about this issue and it would just strain the relationship.
Yes that's what i think too :/
Ah the problem is, as I said my dad is overseas so if my mum doesnt live with me, we cant afford a 3rd place of accommodation in the UK for my mum, so she would have to go overseas and then unless I fly over, I would only be able to see them once a year, as plane tickets are very expensive :frown:
You should get more money from studend loans and grants as your mum gets less money. It depends on where you live.

For example, I live in Wales and we get £9000 each year. Depending on what peoples parents ear you get to keep a certain amount each year (grant) I will get around £4500 and the rest will have to be taken out as a loan.

The money will be split up and will be given to me each term (so £3000 each term) I can use that money to pay for my living costs and still have money left over for food and other things.

Universities also offer many other financial support, so you might still be able to live on your own.
Original post by kurro
You should get more money from studend loans and grants as your mum gets less money. It depends on where you live.

For example, I live in Wales and we get £9000 each year. Depending on what peoples parents ear you get to keep a certain amount each year (grant) I will get around £4500 and the rest will have to be taken out as a loan.

The money will be split up and will be given to me each term (so £3000 each term) I can use that money to pay for my living costs and still have money left over for food and other things.

Universities also offer many other financial support, so you might still be able to live on your own.

Do you know where I can find out how much grants I am eligible for?
And what the living costs for being and not being in London?
Do you know where I can find out how much grants I am eligible for?
And what the living costs for being and not being in London?

Where in UK do you live? And where is your uni?
I can send you a website if I know those.
Contact Student Finance England.
Original post by kurro
Where in UK do you live? And where is your uni?
I can send you a website if I know those.

Thanks. North-west and either cambridge or london.
Thanks. North-west and either cambridge or london.

You can use this link, fill in all the required info and calculate your student finance details.

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

If that does not apply to you or does not work, try calling student finance England. I had some trouble with mine and they
helped me just fine.

Or email them if you can find their email.

But Good Luck :smile:
no problemo

(the question doesn't have an option for when we both start, but just chose 2018-2019 as there should not be any drastic changes to loans and grants. But if there are you can always call them and ask.)
(edited 5 years ago)
uh lol do your parents realize you need space to study

didn't have that space and trust me it isn't nice at all as no one ever cares about your situation causing you to do less well and stuff
Reply 32
Ah I looked at the maintenance loan. Do you think it's possible to use pare for the maintenance loan for accommodation?

That's what the maintenance loan is for!

The uni I'm going todoesn't allow it.
And I expect the uni workload to be high, so it would be unwise.
And it won't cover much of my expensive accommodation fees anyway if I'm only working part-time for tiny bit each week.

Cambridge/Imperial College (still unconfirmed which I go to)
You are not allowed a part time job at Cambridge
And it's not advised to have a part time job at Imperial.
It's not a question of why can't I work or I'm not allowed to - I wouldn't want to work with such an intensive study workload.

You can certainly work during the long vacations - indeed I'd advise you to do so to help build your CV.

Also Oxbridge and Imperial have generous bursaries to help you:
e.g. https://www.cambridgestudents.cam.ac.uk/cambridgebursary
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/fees-and-funding/oxford-support?wssl=1
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/fees-and-funding/bursaries-and-scholarships/imperial-bursary/

You automatically qualify for the bursaries assuming your income meets their criteria. These are in addition to the maintenance loan. Note the loan is higher for London universities.

If you are at Cambridge (or Oxford afaik) you HAVE to live in college accommodation for the duration of your undergrad unless you have extenuating circumstances. Your mum wanting to keep an eye on you is unlikely to count as such. She can't stay in college accommodation.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 33
Will mirror what others have said, contact Student Finance England. They won't be able to guarantee what maintenance loan you would be entitled to until you apply, but they can give you a pretty good idea.

You mentioned your family have quite a high income but is that from your Dad or does your Mum work also? The reason I ask is because they may not count your Dad's income as part of your household income when calculating your entitlement, due to him living in another country. I'm not certain about that though so again... pick up the phone and contact SFE. Everything is easier when you have all the facts. :smile:

With the full maintenance loan plus your savings, you might be able to scrape by. If you only received the minimal amount, then possibly not. For reference, including bills, you're probably looking at £650-£800pcm for a room in London, maybe £500-650 in Cambridge? That's not including food and travel costs. They are both expensive cities unfortunately.

But btw, congratulations on securing offers from two excellent universities!
Reply 34
I'm going to uni soon but it would be too expensive to carry on renting our current house..

Why? Your maintenance loan, bursary (potentially), and vacation earnings should be enough to suppport you at Oxbridge without affecting the costs for your mum. The cost of living in Oxbridge is surprisingly low (if you need it to be), in large part due to their short terms.

Leaving aside the fact that you will be an adult and it's time to stand on your own two feet without your mum...
Original post by kurro
You can use this link, fill in all the required info and calculate your student finance details.

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

If that does not apply to you or does not work, try calling student finance England. I had some trouble with mine and they
helped me just fine.

Or email them if you can find their email.

But Good Luck :smile:
no problemo

(the question doesn't have an option for when we both start, but just chose 2018-2019 as there should not be any drastic changes to loans and grants. But if there are you can always call them and ask.)

Thanks a lot! I will take a look

Original post by Doonesbury

If you are at Cambridge (or Oxford afaik) you HAVE to live in college accommodation for the duration of your undergrad unless you have extenuating circumstances. Your mum wanting to keep an eye on you is unlikely to count as such. She can't stay in college accommodation.

Is there a website that says this? And why do I have to? (good to show my dad this haha)
Original post by Bambae
Will mirror what others have said, contact Student Finance England. They won't be able to guarantee what maintenance loan you would be entitled to until you apply, but they can give you a pretty good idea.

You mentioned your family have quite a high income but is that from your Dad or does your Mum work also? The reason I ask is because they may not count your Dad's income as part of your household income when calculating your entitlement, due to him living in another country. I'm not certain about that though so again... pick up the phone and contact SFE. Everything is easier when you have all the facts. :smile:

With the full maintenance loan plus your savings, you might be able to scrape by. If you only received the minimal amount, then possibly not. For reference, including bills, you're probably looking at £650-£800pcm for a room in London, maybe £500-650 in Cambridge? That's not including food and travel costs. They are both expensive cities unfortunately.

But btw, congratulations on securing offers from two excellent universities!

Haha only got an offer from Imperial but waiting on Cambridge... and of course if I do end up going to Imperial, that would be even more expensive D:
Well I'm not too sure about my family's income. My mum doesn't work, just my dad and I don't know the exact figures but more than 60,000 annually since I am not eligible for imperial college's kingsbury scholarship because of this :frown:

Yes I shall contact them! thanks a lot, didn't know that the maintenance loan was that much tbh
Reply 36
one thing to add - remember you can work in the summer holidays, so throughout the first two years you can save up to pay the 3rd and 4th years accommodation
Original post by Doonesbury
You can certainly work during the long vacations - indeed I'd advise you to do so to help build your CV.

Also Oxbridge and Imperial have generous bursaries to help you:
e.g. https://www.cambridgestudents.cam.ac.uk/cambridgebursary
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/fees-and-funding/oxford-support?wssl=1
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/fees-and-funding/bursaries-and-scholarships/imperial-bursary/

You automatically qualify for the bursaries assuming your income meets their criteria. These are in addition to the maintenance loan. Note the loan is higher for London universities.

The part-time job during the holidays is a good idea, though it just depends whether I can get one.
And it seems like I won't be eligible for those bursaries...
Reply 38
Is there a website that says this? And why do I have to? (good to show my dad this haha)

https://www.cambridgestudents.cam.ac.uk/new-students/manage-your-student-information/personal-information/residing-outside-universitys

"Students are required to keep terms of residence in Cambridge in order to be awarded their degrees. In order to keep residence, you need to live (or reside) within the University's precincts during term time.

Undergraduates
For undergraduate students, this usually means within 3 miles of Great St. Mary's church, in your college or in other accommodation with your college's permission. If you feel you need permission, you should speak to your college."

Haha only got an offer from Imperial but waiting on Cambridge... and of course if I do end up going to Imperial, that would be even more expensive D:
Well I'm not too sure about my family's income. My mum doesn't work, just my dad and I don't know the exact figures but more than 60,000 annually since I am not eligible for imperial college's kingsbury scholarship because of this :frown:

Yes I shall contact them! thanks a lot, didn't know that the maintenance loan was that much tbh

The minimum maintenance loan is £4054 outside London, £5654 in London.

You should be able to get Cambridge college accommodation for less than £4k (depending on your college).
Reply 39
you'll have a year of work experience before you even start your degree! i have no doubts that you'll be able to find a job in summer, maybe not an office job but definately waitressing or retail (100% waitressing tips make up half my paycheck)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending