The Student Room Group

Exactly how useful is a MSc?

I have a BSc in a chemistry related degree, unfortunately I got a 2:2 so am limited in where I can apply for jobs. I wish to go for a complete career change into IT and have come across some IT conversion MSc courses. I want to know if it is worth doing such a course in an already competitive market? Like how much of an advantage would a MSc provide for a student such as myself?
Do you mean a CS course or strictly an IT course?
Reply 2
Original post by ···
Do you mean a CS course or strictly an IT course?

I don't know what a CS course is, I mean an IT conversion masters for those with a non IT undergrad.
Reply 3
Bump...
Original post by SunTiger
I have a BSc in a chemistry related degree, unfortunately I got a 2:2 so am limited in where I can apply for jobs. I wish to go for a complete career change into IT and have come across some IT conversion MSc courses. I want to know if it is worth doing such a course in an already competitive market? Like how much of an advantage would a MSc provide for a student such as myself?

You've not given nearly enough information to tell.

Exactly is impossible to judge.
You need to learn the difference between IT and CS.
What is your IT background to date?
Why did you get a 2.2?
What are your alternatives?
What's your personality like, how do you come across at interview?
Reply 5
Original post by SunTiger

Yes of course it is useful. If it is a practical course, with projects and not theory, then yes employers will like that. To get work in this world, remember that you need a portfolio of work and to demonstrate things you have worked on. Employers do not give a crap abotu essays etc. It is the workplace related experiences that counts.

CS is computer science.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending