The Student Room Group

Law Specification

Hello everyone. I am currently studying Law at A-level (in my first year) and I've browsed the internet for the specification for the course and have come to no such discovery; I'm simply asking if anyone has access to a more concise spec and can post it here.

Many thanks.

(AQA)
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Aptitude.
Hello everyone. I am currently studying Law at A-level (in my first year) and I've browsed the internet for the specification for the course and have come to no such discovery; I'm simply asking if anyone has access to a more concise spec and can post it here.

Many thanks.

(AQA)

how you finding AQA law , cant find much people who do it
Reply 2
Original post by Fayzan_Ali
how you finding AQA law , cant find much people who do it

Agreed, it seems to be such a rare subject for people to take, despite it's future benefits.

Personally, I am loving it. I love finding out everything to do with long; I am finding learning all of the cases quite stressful though. Also, the premise of the initial post, I can't seem to categorise all of the topics in the spec to organise my folders and stuff.

How are you finding it? :hugs:
Agreed, it seems to be such a rare subject for people to take, despite it's future benefits.

Personally, I am loving it. I love finding out everything to do with long; I am finding learning all of the cases quite stressful though. Also, the premise of the initial post, I can't seem to categorise all of the topics in the spec to organise my folders and stuff.

How are you finding it? :hugs:

ikr dky not many dont take it tbh - We just finished tort law and will be having tort mocks soon and we started contract law today - i found tort law decent tbh but im not that confident with practice questions because there just isnt any examples or resources for it online. Wbu?

In regards to cases i find them okay as i just constantly write them out before a case test but i agree the cases is a large amount to learn
https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/law/as-and-a-level/law-7162 <--- if im not mistaken this is the spec
Reply 4
ikr dky not many dont take it tbh - We just finished tort law and will be having tort mocks soon and we started contract law today - i found tort law decent tbh but im not that confident with practice questions because there just isnt any examples or resources for it online. Wbu?

In regards to cases i find them okay as i just constantly write them out before a case test but i agree the cases is a large amount to learn
https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/law/as-and-a-level/law-7162 <--- if im not mistaken this is the spec

That's so interesting! :lol: I have done 'The nature of law and the English legal system' and 'Criminal law' and we are doing Tort in late Y12 going into Y13 and Contract in Y13. Therefore, I cannot comment on how I'm finding Tort law as I haven't done it yet. But that's so strange to hear. Are you not using the AQA A-level book 1?

Also, I have seen that spec, thanks, I'm just looking to see if anyone has mate it a bit less 'clunky' I guess. I'm trying to fit each topic onto one A4 piece of paper to archive it into my folders.

How did you find tort law?
we had to learn nature of law and english legal system in flipped learning which is basically where we learn it at home ourselves - i do own a textbook called my revision notes however i feel its too overloaded with unneccassry info compared to the less infomation in class so i tend not to use it - I found the theory of tort law relatively easy tbh but as i said the lack of past past papers and examplars is annoying because its a new spec :colonhash: Hows criminal law?
Reply 6
we had to learn nature of law and english legal system in flipped learning which is basically where we learn it at home ourselves - i do own a textbook called my revision notes however i feel its too overloaded with unneccassry info compared to the less infomation in class so i tend not to use it - I found the theory of tort law relatively easy tbh but as i said the lack of past past papers and examplars is annoying because its a new spec :colonhash: Hows criminal law?

That sounds so complex :lol:

Criminal law is so much fun! Learning about all the different types of 'Offences Against the Person's are incredible. I can imagine that it is much better than tort or contract, however that's just my personal opinion since I just know the basics of tort and contract. So you literally have to learn The Nature of Law and the English Legal System on your own with no teacher/tutor assistance? That sounds crazy to me (in terms of having enough time to learn all of it at once). What other subjects do you take?
That sounds so complex :lol:

Criminal law is so much fun! Learning about all the different types of 'Offences Against the Person's are incredible. I can imagine that it is much better than tort or contract, however that's just my personal opinion since I just know the basics of tort and contract. So you literally have to learn The Nature of Law and the English Legal System on your own with no teacher/tutor assistance? That sounds crazy to me (in terms of having enough time to learn all of it at once). What other subjects do you take?

yh criminal law sounds way better tbh - yes we had to learn nature of law and legal system ourself and sometimes we had a small lesson covering it but the information felt incomplete and mixed so ill probably go over that myself again - I take business , Law and sociology and you?
Reply 8
yh criminal law sounds way better tbh - yes we had to learn nature of law and legal system ourself and sometimes we had a small lesson covering it but the information felt incomplete and mixed so ill probably go over that myself again - I take business , Law and sociology and you?

Yeah 'Nature of law...' is quite an easy topic in terms of understanding, it's just lots of content; I wish you best of luck in learning that independently - if you ever need assistance or anything of that sort on anything Law-related I'd love to help if I can or sometimes you can help me :smile: we Law folk must stay together as there are limited numbers of us left :lol:

That sounds like a fun combination. Personally, I have never done Sociology but the concept of it, learning about society and stuff, sounds so interesting; Business is such a versatile subject that you can really benefit from in the future.

I take Law, Psychology and English Literature. :smile:
Yeah 'Nature of law...' is quite an easy topic in terms of understanding, it's just lots of content; I wish you best of luck in learning that independently - if you ever need assistance or anything of that sort on anything Law-related I'd love to help if I can or sometimes you can help me :smile: we Law folk must stay together as there are limited numbers of us left :lol:

That sounds like a fun combination. Personally, I have never done Sociology but the concept of it, learning about society and stuff, sounds so interesting; Business is such a versatile subject that you can really benefit from in the future.

I take Law, Psychology and English Literature. :smile:

I agree the content isnt too bad - and yes i agree it would be so much better if we had more people that did AQA law :redface: - the subjects im doing are quite interesting , good combo - Yours arent too bad either i took psychology(aweome subject) at GCSE and got A but in a level it was between either law or psychology And i wanted to see what laws about because i may do it at uni so i did thattt
Reply 10
I agree the content isnt too bad - and yes i agree it would be so much better if we had more people that did AQA law :redface: - the subjects im doing are quite interesting , good combo - Yours arent too bad either i took psychology(aweome subject) at GCSE and got A but in a level it was between either law or psychology And i wanted to see what laws about because i may do it at uni so i did thattt

Great that you chose Law :smile:

What are your future aspirations? i.e do you have a specific job you want to do or as you mentioned, what would you like to study at uni?
Great that you chose Law :smile:

What are your future aspirations? i.e do you have a specific job you want to do or as you mentioned, what would you like to study at uni?

Think ill do a law degree , maybe an accounting degree , in all honesty i still dont have a clear career plan - wby?
Reply 12
Think ill do a law degree , maybe an accounting degree , in all honesty i still dont have a clear career plan - wby?

Yeah, I'm very similar. I have no single thing that I want to pursue. I'd love to take a Law Degree but I come from a reasonably nonacademic family so I would not only be the first to go to uni, but there would be so much pressure on me to succeed and put 100% into my work and everything. Also I'm hesitant in going to Uni due to the financial commitment that is required to even have a chance to do well in life; the degree may not be enough to get a job (maybe I'm just not the person suited for the role).

Sorry I kind of went on a rant there. I've also considered being some sort of police officer several times; that may be something I look into more once I realise that I am going to absolutely collapse going into Y13 and fail all of my subjects :smile:
Yeah, I'm very similar. I have no single thing that I want to pursue. I'd love to take a Law Degree but I come from a reasonably nonacademic family so I would not only be the first to go to uni, but there would be so much pressure on me to succeed and put 100% into my work and everything. Also I'm hesitant in going to Uni due to the financial commitment that is required to even have a chance to do well in life; the degree may not be enough to get a job (maybe I'm just not the person suited for the role).

Sorry I kind of went on a rant there. I've also considered being some sort of police officer several times; that may be something I look into more once I realise that I am going to absolutely collapse going into Y13 and fail all of my subjects :smile:

i get you , hope it all turns out well though and dont worry we'll smash year 13 :biggrin:
Reply 14
i get you , hope it all turns out well though and dont worry we'll smash year 13 :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest