Does student finance take into account how many children are at uni?

Watch
Benvoliho
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
hi,
I'm in year 12 and want to go to university. as does my twin sister. with my brother in his final year, I already have experience with the student finance system and am aware my family makes enough that the loan doesn't cover all of my brothers maintance and we have to make up the difference. however, that sometimes 800 pound difference is managable with mum doing overtime but 1600 with two kids at uni is unfair.
i was wondering if student fianace does take this in to account. if it doesnt,it should. yes perhaps your income means you can support your one child but what if theres two?
is there anyway to appeal?
i feel as if my choices of unis (e.g those down south)are dwindling as i cant afford to live there, my family cant afford it with two of us. i dont want my opportunities to be limited.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Benvoliho)
hi,
I'm in year 12 and want to go to university. as does my twin sister. with my brother in his final year, I already have experience with the student finance system and am aware my family makes enough that the loan doesn't cover all of my brothers maintance and we have to make up the difference. however, that sometimes 800 pound difference is managable with mum doing overtime but 1600 with two kids at uni is unfair.
i was wondering if student fianace does take this in to account. if it doesnt,it should. yes perhaps your income means you can support your one child but what if theres two?
is there anyway to appeal?
i feel as if my choices of unis (e.g those down south)are dwindling as i cant afford to live there, my family cant afford it with two of us. i dont want my opportunities to be limited.
I think they knock of £1180 for a sibling so they'll ignore that much household income before deciding what loans you'll both get. Many southern unis generally are too expensive if not a bit tricky to afford with any amount of student finance.where were you hoping to study?
Benvoliho
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by claireestelle)
I think they knock of £1180 for a sibling so they'll ignore that much household income before deciding what loans you'll both get. Many southern unis generally are too expensive if not a bit tricky to afford with any amount of student finance.where were you hoping to study?
I was looking (ambitiously) at Cambridge, then Warwick as the other southern one. im not even bothering with the inner city ones due to the cost
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Check the Cambridge bursaries for your parents income - you might find them pretty generous. Cambridge has cheap accomodation anyway so I wouldn't worry on that score. Warwick isn't in the south and Coventry has plenty of cheap accomodation.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

New lockdown - Do you agree schools and universities should remain open?

Yes (55)
36.67%
No (78)
52%
I don't know (17)
11.33%

Watched Threads