Sophia.izzyy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hey guys im looking to find a group of people who want to travel this year after A levels.

All my friends are going to uni in september so need some people to go with.

Drop your sc or add mine Sophia.izzyy and i can make a group chat or something xo
Last edited by Sophia.izzyy; 7 months ago
Bewilderator
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Okay so I don't want to sound like a **** but my aunt brought up a good point about gap years:

Yes, it is a great thing that we can be out of education for a year since it is all our lives have been, year in and out...
Yes, it is great to have a new look on life before uni...

But she said what she did:

She stayed on in education and had her 'gap year' afterwards -- this meant she could, if she enjoyed somewhere or something, spend longer there -- or go back again -- without needing to worry about going back into education. Say if she really enjoyed her time in another country, she wouldn't need to limit herself to whatever time is left before uni and could just go for two or three years if she wanted.

I still don't know whether I want to take a gap year or not which isn't good because of UCAS stuff. I do 100% see why to take a gap year and it was also my standpoint until I heard what she said.

Idk, it's just there if you wanted to know or not lol and have fun, wherever you dudes go
leviosaaar
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
yoooo hey I’m in a similar situation lol most of my friends are going straight to uni and idk what imma do in my gap year

my sc is leviosaaar hmu
Sophia.izzyy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by leviosaaar)
yoooo hey I’m in a similar situation lol most of my friends are going straight to uni and idk what imma do in my gap year

my sc is leviosaaar hmu
have added you x
frana2015
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Bewilderator)
Okay so I don't want to sound like a **** but my aunt brought up a good point about gap years:

Yes, it is a great thing that we can be out of education for a year since it is all our lives have been, year in and out...
Yes, it is great to have a new look on life before uni...

But she said what she did:

She stayed on in education and had her 'gap year' afterwards -- this meant she could, if she enjoyed somewhere or something, spend longer there -- or go back again -- without needing to worry about going back into education. Say if she really enjoyed her time in another country, she wouldn't need to limit herself to whatever time is left before uni and could just go for two or three years if she wanted.

I still don't know whether I want to take a gap year or not which isn't good because of UCAS stuff. I do 100% see why to take a gap year and it was also my standpoint until I heard what she said.

Idk, it's just there if you wanted to know or not lol and have fun, wherever you dudes go
I am currently on a gap year and it was definitely the best decision I have ever made. You can take a gap year after uni regardless. If you want to go back to a country, you can go back after uni or in your holidays. You could always even defer another year. If during your gap year you find something that you would rather do than go to uni, then you should 100% do that as Uni is not essential at all in order to get a good job, and if you are not committed then it isn't worth the money.

In my case, before I took my gap year, I was certain that I wanted to study biology at uni. However, I was able to reflect on my A-level experience and spend some time reading books that I genuinely enjoyed. This made me realise I had applied to do the wrong course at the wrong uni and so I reapplied knowing I had 100% made the right decision. I know so many people who went to uni and realised that they are on the wrong course/ at the wrong uni but have 'committed' so do not want to change now.

Taking a gap year has allowed me to become so much more independent. I already feel so much moe mature than I was, and I will be able to handle uni much better than if I had gone this year. E.g. I went solo travelling for 3 months which drasticlaly improved my social skills and my general independence. I am working full-time which has made me a much less entitled person. Rather than complain about the extortionate cost of going to uni, I am using 8 months of my gap year to save for it (I will save £12000 but will obviously use some of that to live off in my gap year too). I have also learned to cook this year.

Generally, it's improved my confidence so much, helped me find the right path for me, and helped me to prepare for uni in ways that I personally wouldn't have been able to do if I'd gone to uni last year.
sahilagg
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I’m literally in a very similar situation but I wanna go traveling as well.Sc is sahil_00 hmu
leotyleee-r
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
yeahhhh I wanted to go South America and need travel companions, sounds like a laugh. snapchat leotyle_r
Sophia.izzyy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by leotyleee-r)
yeahhhhh I was planning on going Ecuador or something but would be calm to have travel companions sounds like a laugh. sc- leotyle_r

added you x
2ringThompson
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I'm currently on a gap year, I had a similar situation when I came to the end of my a levels as all my friends went to uni. I actually just went of solo backpacking and it's been so good. So if for some reason you can't find anyone I would say still go as you'll most definitely meet people I'm hostels.
And refering to some previous comments I would take a gap year before university, this is because you may find when you finish university there might be a job opportunity you need to take straight away which means you won't be able to travel a full year
abhbsewshkdcshak
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
hi im planning to take a gap year if this plan is still on add me ayushsunil123
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?