Horland
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi I'm currently in year 12 and I do maths, chemistry, biology and geography and I'm not sure whether to drop biology or geography and I think that I would like to study earth sciences at uni.

At the moment I like the majority of the biology content however find the content overwhelming due to the amount, but then if I were to drop geography I'd have more frees for biology. I'm unsure whether or not geography would be more useful towards an earth science degree.

Geography is kind of interesting however my teachers talks a lot and often goes off topic. Also, not the biggest fan of human geography but I like how it is an essay subject. I'm getting better grades in Geography (A*-B) where as in Biology I'm getting D's.
Simbasoul
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Go for the one that you are getting better grades in - it is unlikely that you will go from a D to an A/A* in Biology in a year but your grades for Geog are good.
ajj2000
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Horland)
Hi I'm currently in year 12 and I do maths, chemistry, biology and geography and I'm not sure whether to drop biology or geography and I think that I would like to study earth sciences at uni.

At the moment I like the majority of the biology content however find the content overwhelming due to the amount, but then if I were to drop geography I'd have more frees for biology. I'm unsure whether or not geography would be more useful towards an earth science degree.

Geography is kind of interesting however my teachers talks a lot and often goes off topic. Also, not the biggest fan of human geography but I like how it is an essay subject. I'm getting better grades in Geography (A*-B) where as in Biology I'm getting D's.
Its early days and peoples grades change. What else have you considered apart from Earth Sciences? Anything that might be an issue if you drop biology?
Horland
Rep:
?
(Original post by ajj2000)
Its early days and peoples grades change. What else have you considered apart from Earth Sciences? Anything that might be an issue if you drop biology?
Maybe forensic science but some unis don't require biology to do it
Horland
Rep:
?
I am swaying towards applied earth sciences which accepts either biology or geography but I feel like geography will probably be more applicable but then I also like the sounds of forensic science and dentistry but they don't require biology but it's probably prefered helppp!
Mackenzie_lai
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago

Drop biology. Geography would be so much more helpful, and you would excel more in geography as well.
Horland
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Update: I dropped biology and feel really happy about my decision, there was just way too much content considering I didn't want a career that directly links to it.
Claydo66
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Keep biology as science uni courses may want you to have two sciences
Last edited by Claydo66; 8 months ago
Hdeinso
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Update: I dropped biology and feel really happy about my decision, there was just way too much content considering I didn't want a career that directly links to it.
Genuinely wish dropping bio was an option because that’s how I’m feeling about that mentally tiring subject
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

- Have you considered distance learning for any of your qualifications?

Yes! I'm on a distance learning course right now (8)
7.92%
Yes, I've thought about it but haven't signed up yet (10)
9.9%
No, but maybe I will look into it (25)
24.75%
No and I wouldn't consider it (58)
57.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise