The Student Room Group

How do you formulate and argument and reference properly?

I have an essay due on the 16th, and I thought it would be easy because I understand the topic I'm writing it about (hence why I've left it until now), it's just I have never written an essay in this way before. I'm used to doing exam essay's and just spewing out as much info as possible. (Also I haven't studied history since year 10, so I've never written a proper history essay before.)

I'm taking a module about Korea and I chose the essay question "What are the main characteristics of South Korea's industrialisation and democratisation processes?"

From what I understand from the question, it's asking me to explain these processes. But my issue is, how am I meant to put forward an argument if I'm only really being asked to explain it? Also, how am I meant to reference anything if I don't have an argument that needs to be supported?
I'm probably making a mountain out of a mole hill, but I took a gap year and haven't written an essay in well over a year so I'm still pretty rusty at doing so. It's probably a case of first year perfectionism.
Reply 1
Also I'm aware of the spelling mistake in the title, it's just been a long and stressful day
It's difficult to answer your question without knowing anything about modern Korean history, but in general my approach would be:

In my introduction, I would develop a thesis statement along the lines of: "The main characteristics of SK's industrialisation & democratisation processes are... *characteristics X and Y* because..."
- In this thesis statement, I would try and link industrialisation & democratisation together and show how they have characteristics in common.

My paragraphs would then be:
- Characteristics X and Y, and why they are the most important
- Other characteristic A - here's why it's important; but here's why it's not as important as X and Y
- Other characteristic B - here's why it's important; but here's why it's not as important as X and Y
- Conclusion

If possible, I would find different historians who have stressed particular characteristics, and frame my paragraphs around their views.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Thank you so much!!! This is kind of what I ended up coming up with late last night so I'm glad I'm on the right track 😂 the fact that it's a 2,500 word essay is still intimidating but I'm sure I'll get there some how

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending