How to answer RE essay questions?? Watch

amabel.collins
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi! I have an RE mock for GCSE on Friday and I'm always getting about 8 or 9 out of 12 on the essay questions because I never really know how to answer them? It's always something ridiculous like 'how has the creation story affected Christians today' or 'how has the ascension affected Christians today'

To be honest I've got no idea how an event thousands of years ago would affect me so if anyone could give any tips on RS gcse that would be great thanks xx
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
As a rule always make one point for each mark on offer, for example 12 points for 12 marks.
For longer essay type questions try to spend a couple of minutes on an essay plan using the pegex formula- point, example, explain.

You could mention how specific bible chapters are read in church sermons every sunday, have been taught for centuries in schools and sunday schools, debated by different theologians from a range of christian denominations for a variety of purposes- during the medieval era, reformation and in modern times.
emilylgr
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I’m not sure if the questions in your exam would be different to the one I did, mine was in wales so with there being a different exam board I’m not sure if the structure of the paper and questions are different. Like the above poster, try to make one point for each mark so make a point and explain it. Also like you say you have no idea how an event thousands of years ago would affect you in relation to the question being a bit out there, try and imagine how this could affect others. What I mean is that there are loads of people who follow religions and not every member of that religion will have the same beliefs, some may take their religious texts literally and some may just use it as guidance but not believe everything that is written. So, it kind of means that there’s not really a direct answer to those sorts of questions if you get what I mean (kind of difficult to explain haha). For example you mentioned a question could be how does the creation story affect Christians today, you could think of many different points that may vary in ideas. It could be that reading the creation story can bring them closer to god, it could make them want to take care of the environment because god made it, it could affect them by making them aware of the importance of mankind (with god making Adam and Eve) etc. Try and brainstorm a couple of ideas when you see the question even if they sound a bit far fetched you can always pick the best ideas and the ones you can explain the most. Also I would suggest asking your teacher if they can help you come up with a structure for your essays, having a structure really helped me make sure I was able to get in the marks and made it clear to read too because sometimes in r.e. it’s easy to ramble on 😂. Sorry this is a massive post haha hope it helped I’m not too good at explaining and haven’t done r.e. in a couple of years
amabel.collins
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by emilylgr)
I’m not sure if the questions in your exam would be different to the one I did, mine was in wales so with there being a different exam board I’m not sure if the structure of the paper and questions are different. Like the above poster, try to make one point for each mark so make a point and explain it. Also like you say you have no idea how an event thousands of years ago would affect you in relation to the question being a bit out there, try and imagine how this could affect others. What I mean is that there are loads of people who follow religions and not every member of that religion will have the same beliefs, some may take their religious texts literally and some may just use it as guidance but not believe everything that is written. So, it kind of means that there’s not really a direct answer to those sorts of questions if you get what I mean (kind of difficult to explain haha). For example you mentioned a question could be how does the creation story affect Christians today, you could think of many different points that may vary in ideas. It could be that reading the creation story can bring them closer to god, it could make them want to take care of the environment because god made it, it could affect them by making them aware of the importance of mankind (with god making Adam and Eve) etc. Try and brainstorm a couple of ideas when you see the question even if they sound a bit far fetched you can always pick the best ideas and the ones you can explain the most. Also I would suggest asking your teacher if they can help you come up with a structure for your essays, having a structure really helped me make sure I was able to get in the marks and made it clear to read too because sometimes in r.e. it’s easy to ramble on 😂. Sorry this is a massive post haha hope it helped I’m not too good at explaining and haven’t done r.e. in a couple of years
This is so brilliant thank you so much xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (115)
17.61%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (69)
10.57%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (113)
17.3%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (97)
14.85%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.65%
How can I be the best version of myself? (196)
30.02%

Watched Threads