The Student Room Group

Going to a far away sixth form college

I am choosing between sixth forms, I could stay at my current school where I now everyone but can not take ond of the subjects I want. ( I want to take English, Textiles,Drama)
Or apply to the grammar school both my sisters go to that is local, very good and a high standard.
Or I could go to a college that I really like, has great facilities and destinations and also high standard.
I prefer it and if it was local I would no doubt go without question, but it’s a 2hr train journey away!!! I’d have to wake up at 5:30ish to catch the train at 6:15 then I’d get there for 8:15. The journey is a big concern for me, as I’d have to wake up almost an hour earlier and would get home much later which could effect clubs and social life. Also if I went there, the majority of my friends would be far and it’d be difficult to hang out without someone travelling really far. What do you think????
Reply 1
go to the grammar school
Reply 2
THat the logical thing to do, I Do really like the college though. I guess I’ll have to see if I could cope with the distance. Or chose the more practical option, going to the grammar school, which is still a pretty good school.
Reply 3
I moved for sixth form as well to a school that was about a 90 mins away by train and two hours is a really long way to travel every day so I think you really need to consider whether the college is worth it as the grammar also seems like a great option. Two hours will also seem like much more when you’re waking up at 5:30 exhausted in the middle of the term. If you’re doing A Levels, there’s a lot more homework and independent work than GCSE and if you’re spending so much time travelling it might make it harder to stay on top of it. Some of my friends now also live about an hour away from school but in the other direction so it can take 2-3 hours to get to where we’re meeting up. It is doable if you’re motivated and organised but definitely harder than when I was at my old local school and all my friends lived about 10 minutes away. Do consider though if you might be able to drive to school once you’re 17 since that might shorten your journey by a lot and also make meeting friends much easier. Personally I’d also be much happier travelling further to a school I really loved than going to a local school I didn’t really like and despite the distance I’m so glad I moved to my current sixth form as I’m loving it there and it’s definitely worth the travelling. It’s great you’ve got so many options so pick where you think you’ll be happiest. Good luck 😊
Reply 4
Thanks, this helps a lot
Reply 5
True:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest