Vet Med at Trakia uni in Stara Zagora, Bulgaria 2019 Watch

FatWalrice99
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anee_kh)
Hi, upon being rejected from all the uk unis I applied to this year, post interview, (2nd year applicant) I have decided to try abroad.
What is SME? And how did you decide on Bulgaria as opposed to the other countries that offer the course?
I really don’t know which one to choose, but Bulgaria being the cheapest is why it’s at the top of my list.
SME is Study Medicine Europe. They are an agency that helps students apply for courses abroad. Unfortunately, they are just a little on the pricey side of things compared to other agencies. Bulgaria wouldn’t be the cheapest though. If you’re applying to University of Forestry in Sofia then yes, I believe it’s 4000 euro for vet med in English?
Bucharest also has a veterinary degree in English too.
Leah-97
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi, I’m pretty much in the same boat as you in terms of getting turned down for two years now. I came across SME (Study Medicine Europe) online. They basically sort out the documents, qualifications etc. and getting you a place at the university abroad as opposed to doing by yourself, which I’m sure is perfectly doable but I wouldn’t know where to start and it would all be in Bulgarian. They also arrange and provide study material that you’ll need to pass an entrance exam in biology. (which is relatively easy and multiple choice) Then you pretty much have a guaranteed place at the uni. Through SME you can only go to either Bulgaria or Romania to study vet med. SME themselves said Bulgaria is a better place to study but didn’t say why (I went to one of the sme open days in London a few months ago) But I work at a Veterinary Hospital and one of the vets is Romanian and said that studying in Romania is harsh and the teachers/professors don’t really care if you learn or not. He didn’t have an opinion on the course in Bulgaria because he doesn’t know but from what I’ve heard on other forums is that it’s far better but still not to the standard of the UK. But I believe it’s what you make of the course, I know some British vets that aren’t very good and some amazing foreign vets and vice versa. It’s not where you study it’s The type of person you are, but I would highly recommend getting work experience in the uk during summer holidays if you do go to Bulgaria because I don’t think much practical experience is offered early on in the course from what I’ve heard, but I could be wrong. I recently read an article in the vet times magazine that brexit will not change the stance of foreign vets being able to work in the UK without taking the exam, so that should stay the same and I wouldn’t worry about that.
I hope this info is useful, anything else you’d like to know let me know and hopefully I can help.
Thanks
Hi, upon being rejected from all the uk unis I applied to this year, post interview, (2nd year applicant) I have decided to try abroad.
What is SME? And how did you decide on Bulgaria as opposed to the other countries that offer the course?
I really don’t know which one to choose, but Bulgaria being the cheapest is why it’s at the top of my list.
Leah-97
Rep:
?
https://www.vettimes.co.uk/news/new-...n-vet-degrees/

A friend sent me this recently, I presume it’s up to date, so hopefully it’s not a problem
(Original post by VMD100)
Just a consideration for future international applying students to consider implications of Brexit - in the future European vet graduates may still have to sit the RCVS examination - an additional hurdle to jump over, whereas if you attend a UK vet school you are automatically granted MRCVS on completion of final year.
Leah-97
Rep:
?
Hi, when you search Bulgarian unis on the official RCVS website they are there, the unis in Sofia and in Stara Zagora
Hi, when looking at lists of unis that you could study vet med at, on student room or other websites, why are Bulgarian unis never on the list?
Are they accredited by the EAEVE? And recognised by the RCVS?
Anee_kh
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Leah-97)
Hi, I’m pretty much in the same boat as you in terms of getting turned down for two years now. I came across SME (Study Medicine Europe) online. They basically sort out the documents, qualifications etc. and getting you a place at the university abroad as opposed to doing by yourself, which I’m sure is perfectly doable but I wouldn’t know where to start and it would all be in Bulgarian. They also arrange and provide study material that you’ll need to pass an entrance exam in biology. (which is relatively easy and multiple choice) Then you pretty much have a guaranteed place at the uni. Through SME you can only go to either Bulgaria or Romania to study vet med. SME themselves said Bulgaria is a better place to study but didn’t say why (I went to one of the sme open days in London a few months ago) But I work at a Veterinary Hospital and one of the vets is Romanian and said that studying in Romania is harsh and the teachers/professors don’t really care if you learn or not. He didn’t have an opinion on the course in Bulgaria because he doesn’t know but from what I’ve heard on other forums is that it’s far better but still not to the standard of the UK. But I believe it’s what you make of the course, I know some British vets that aren’t very good and some amazing foreign vets and vice versa. It’s not where you study it’s The type of person you are, but I would highly recommend getting work experience in the uk during summer holidays if you do go to Bulgaria because I don’t think much practical experience is offered early on in the course from what I’ve heard, but I could be wrong. I recently read an article in the vet times magazine that brexit will not change the stance of foreign vets being able to work in the UK without taking the exam, so that should stay the same and I wouldn’t worry about that.
I hope this info is useful, anything else you’d like to know let me know and hopefully I can help.
Thanks
Thanks so much, that’s really helpful. Nice to know I’m not the only one in this crappy position. I want to visit the universities before deciding which one to apply to, does anyone know if there are open days scheduled soon?
Also am I running out of time in terms of the entrance exam?
Anee_kh
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi, when you search Bulgarian unis on the official RCVS website they are there, the unis in Sofia and in Stara Zagora
Thank you!
Anee_kh
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by FatWalrice99)
SME is Study Medicine Europe. They are an agency that helps students apply for courses abroad. Unfortunately, they are just a little on the pricey side of things compared to other agencies. Bulgaria wouldn’t be the cheapest though. If you’re applying to University of Forestry in Sofia then yes, I believe it’s 4000 euro for vet med in English?
Bucharest also has a veterinary degree in English too.
Thank you!
Yes around 4000. So it is the cheapest?
My dad will be supporting me, so I really want to pay him back every penny, as soon as I can.
Leah-97
Rep:
?
I wouldn’t know about open days at the unis in Bulgaria, but it might be worth calling SME for info about the unis. I know there’s an open day in Manchester in April, which is good for any questions you have about where to study. With the entrance exam you should still have time, I applied through SME a few months ago and still haven’t heard much from them but I know the exam is usually held in London around August time, but once I hear from them hopefully by April I’ll be able to tell you more. I’ll probably email them soon to see when the study material will be released.
Thanks so much, that’s really helpful. Nice to know I’m not the only one in this crappy position. I want to visit the universities before deciding which one to apply to, does anyone know if there are open days scheduled soon?
Also am I running out of time in terms of the entrance exam?
FatWalrice99
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thank you!
Yes around 4000. So it is the cheapest?
My dad will be supporting me, so I really want to pay him back every penny, as soon as I can.
Yes it’s the cheapest, I suggest applying to that uni really, all you need to do is a very very simple biology entrance test, you’ll be fine for it don’t worry.
I’m kinda in the same boat as you, I thought of veterinary medicine in Bulgaria but my parents are kinda pushing me to do medicine(Human). So I’ve applied with MedLink Students and choose Craiova and Constanta as my two top choices in Romania. My dad is also going to be supporting me throughout this thing too so want to finish soon.
FatWalrice99
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I wouldn’t know about open days at the unis in Bulgaria, but it might be worth calling SME for info about the unis. I know there’s an open day in Manchester in April, which is good for any questions you have about where to study. With the entrance exam you should still have time, I applied through SME a few months ago and still haven’t heard much from them but I know the exam is usually held in London around August time, but once I hear from them hopefully by April I’ll be able to tell you more. I’ll probably email them soon to see when the study material will be released.
How much are SME’s fees? I’m going with an agency called MedLink Students. I’ve heard SME is pretty expensive but don’t know how much?
Anee_kh
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yes it’s the cheapest, I suggest applying to that uni really, all you need to do is a very very simple biology entrance test, you’ll be fine for it don’t worry.
I’m kinda in the same boat as you, I thought of veterinary medicine in Bulgaria but my parents are kinda pushing me to do medicine(Human). So I’ve applied with MedLink Students and choose Craiova and Constanta as my two top choices in Romania. My dad is also going to be supporting me throughout this thing too so want to finish soon.
Haha, because I wasn’t getting getting accepted into vet med my dad suggested trying medicine, but I didn’t do all that volunteering and cleaning up animal poo just to give up. Good luck anyway!
Anee_kh
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Right. Thank you! What about interhecs? I know they deal with the Bulgarian universities. But is SME better?
FatWalrice99
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Haha, because I wasn’t getting getting accepted into vet med my dad suggested trying medicine, but I didn’t do all that volunteering and cleaning up animal poo just to give up. Good luck anyway!
Good luck to you too!
Leah-97
Rep:
?
Yeah they are pretty expensive, it’s £4000 in total. You have to pay £2000 when you start the application process and then the other £2000 when you start uni.
How much are SME’s fees? I’m going with an agency called MedLink Students. I’ve heard SME is pretty expensive but don’t know how much?
FatWalrice99
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yeah they are pretty expensive, it’s £4000 in total. You have to pay £2000 when you start the application process and then the other £2000 when you start uni.
That’s a lot 😂 how are you affording this? Did you already pay?
Leah-97
Rep:
?
Iv been working for about three years so I’ve paid for the first half myself already. I probably should have looked into other agencies a bit more first, but others I tried to contact never got back to me
That’s a lot 😂 how are you affording this? Did you already pay?
FatWalrice99
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Iv been working for about three years so I’ve paid for the first half myself already. I probably should have looked into other agencies a bit more first, but others I tried to contact never got back to me
Should have looked into MedLink man, 1500 pounds only. For me it was 1700 in euros since I’m in Ireland. You’d needed to pay 750 pounds first as a deposit. Have you thought about University of Forestry in Sofia or are you set on a Stara Zagora?
Leah-97
Rep:
?
I know 😭 but I suppose in the grand scheme of things it’s not much more since the course and living will end up being around £50,000 after 5-6 years, and I can’t do a lot about it now 😂. Yeah I thought about it but the uni in Stara Zagora seems to be more popular and “better” in the sense that the practical side of things are better and SME said students seem to like it there more. So I was thinking about it a lot but I’m going to trakia uni. What about you?
Should have looked into MedLink man, 1500 pounds only. For me it was 1700 in euros since I’m in Ireland. You’d needed to pay 750 pounds first as a deposit. Have you thought about University of Forestry in Sofia or are you set on a Stara Zagora?
FatWalrice99
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I know 😭 but I suppose in the grand scheme of things it’s not much more since the course and living will end up being around £50,000 after 5-6 years, and I can’t do a lot about it now 😂. Yeah I thought about it but the uni in Stara Zagora seems to be more popular and “better” in the sense that the practical side of things are better and SME said students seem to like it there more. So I was thinking about it a lot but I’m going to trakia uni. What about you?
Yeah fair enough. University of Forestry is cheaper and all you need is a biology entrance exam which is pretty simple. I’m going to Romania for human medicine I did want vet but parents aren’t too keen on it lol. There’s not much scope in Ireland for a vet anyways.
Baselevel
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I actually emailed the uni about applying through agencies and was asking which one they would recommend but they told me to not bother applying through any and to just apply directly to the university
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (112)
17.58%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (68)
10.68%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.27%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (93)
14.6%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.89%
How can I be the best version of myself? (191)
29.98%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed