The Student Room Group
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website

Accomodation

I’m hoping to start at Plymouth Uni in September 2019 and whilst I’ve looked at accommodation, I’m struggling to come to a choice. Which university-owned accommodation is the best?
(edited 5 years ago)
I thought you were going to oxford
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by hjc2001
I’m hoping to start at Plymouth Uni in September 2019 and whilst I’ve looked at accommodation, I’m struggling to come to a choice. Which university-owned accommodation is the best?

I'd say in Plymouth private halls look like you get better accomadation for your money compared to the uni owned ones
I’m looking at Plymouth, Astor House looks amazing! It’s a 10 minute walk from the university and it’s right by the Hoe. A lot cheaper too.
Reply 4
Original post by kayotix
I'd say in Plymouth private halls look like you get better accomadation for your money compared to the uni owned ones

Could you recommend some private companies? Cheers.
I’m not very sure on private accommodation as I have only started looking myself, Astor house however is half private and half university owned. It is cheaper to book directly through them than the uni.
Reply 6
Original post by Luciarymond
I’m looking at Plymouth, Astor House looks amazing! It’s a 10 minute walk from the university and it’s right by the Hoe. A lot cheaper too.

Astor looked great to me as well. They're all rather expensive, although that one has a balance of quality and price. Private message me so we can chat, youre the only other person i know thats going Plymouth aha.
Original post by hjc2001

Hi hjc2001,

When I was looking at accommodation, I was really keen on Francis Drake as it was right on campus and so nice! I know that Mary Newman is much the same - really nice and directly on campus. We do also have a website called Studentpad, where we showcase University-approved private accommodation if the prices aren't quite right for you. Here's the link: https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/student-life/services/accommodation/current-students .

The student union can also help you with your search - their site is here: http://www.psuaccommodation.com/.

Personally, I lived in private accommodation for all three years. The Hoe is absolutely stunning and I would encourage you to look here, however, places like Mutley Plain and Greenbank are super popular.

Please let me know if you have any further questions - I'd be more than happy to help! :smile:

- Seren, University of Plymouth Student Rep
Reply 8
Original post by hjc2001

Hello!
As a student at Plymouth University, I would recommend going to private halls for your first year. Not only are some cheaper than university halls, but they're also really nice. I have stayed in Mary Parker House which is £119 p/w (compared to £138 where I stayed for my first year), it's near campus (5 min walk), and there is a gym (good for stress relief). As ever, I'd also recommend coming down to Plymouth and having a look; I've always believed that I study better in a nice, cosy room :-)
If you're wanting to pay less than that, then I'd suggest finding a house (as they're the cheapest halls I'm aware of) through 'A Home After Halls" or another student letting agency. Hope this helps!
Reply 9
Original post by mclark32
Hello!
As a student at Plymouth University, I would recommend going to private halls for your first year. Not only are some cheaper than university halls, but they're also really nice. I have stayed in Mary Parker House which is £119 p/w (compared to £138 where I stayed for my first year), it's near campus (5 min walk), and there is a gym (good for stress relief). As ever, I'd also recommend coming down to Plymouth and having a look; I've always believed that I study better in a nice, cosy room :-)
If you're wanting to pay less than that, then I'd suggest finding a house (as they're the cheapest halls I'm aware of) through 'A Home After Halls" or another student letting agency. Hope this helps!

Thank you for your reply :smile: i was looking at halls however the prices are all rather high compared to my maintenance loan. I've managed to find a house for 90pw which im gonna be seeing soon. Hopefully it goes well!
Original post by hjc2001
Thank you for your reply :smile: i was looking at halls however the prices are all rather high compared to my maintenance loan. I've managed to find a house for 90pw which im gonna be seeing soon. Hopefully it goes well!

That's great news! Best wishes! :-)
Original post by hjc2001

Hey, I'm a current first year living in university-owned accomodation. I would definitely recommend private accommodation 100%, I decided to go cheap and cheerful and book myself into gilwell, worst decision EVER. I'm currently counting down the days until I can move into my second year private accomodation.

Anyone wanting to stay in uni owned accomodation I would recommend Francis Drake, Astor house, Mary Newman or Radnor.

DO NOT MOVE INTO GILWELL it gets the nickname "ghetto-well" for good reason.

Astor is beautifully modern, the beds are 3 quarter and spacious but it is the furthest away from campus.
Radnor is pretty much on the door-step, probably the smallest of my recommendations but still a nice sized room, clean spacious kitchen and most of the rooms are en-suite.
Francis Drake and Mary Newman are exactly the same inside, clean and spacious and right in the middle of campus.

While all the accomodation is expensive and you can definitely get more for your money privately, I would say don't be stingy if you really want to go into uni owned accomodation. When you pay extra it's the difference between a tiny, mould infested (not lying) ghetto flat and a modern, clean and relatively spacious livable room.

I hope this helps

Quick Reply

Latest