Potential Perverting Course of Justice

Watch
Pmc1956
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
My son had a messy split from a partner, they have 2 children together and he was stopped from seeing them. He would once a week go round and knock at the door and attempt to see his kids. He was asked not to do this and then furthermore had the police attend his mother's and told him not to go back as it would result in harrassment. My son told the police that he would continue to attend as he was always civil and merely wanted to see his children. He, true to his word went back the following week and so the police investigation began. My son had been suffering from severe depression prior to this (not an excuse) and had attempted to take his life several times in the immediate aftermath of the breakup. On one occasion prior to the breakup, my son sent a photo to his ex-partner of him holding a "gun" to his head. And after the breakup he attended the property whilst the children were at their maternal grandparents to gather some belongings, this led to him getting very emotional and grabbing a knife and hold/pressing quite hard into his own neck.
Now, once the police initiated the investigation into the harrassment, his ex partner gave a statement in which she said "he has a gun and i am terrified he will come round with the gun at some point", and on this evidence a large armed response unit attended his Mother's home where he was currently residing and tore her home apart looking for the "gun". It was never found and eventually this part was never took to court. In another part of her statement, she alleged my son had attended to get some belongings and "whilst there grabbed a knife and held it against my throat". This went to court and my son was given a suspended sentence and 18 months probation, he plead guilty as he believed this would make life easier for his ex partner (she wouldn't need to give evidence) and may help in building bridges regarding future contact with the kids.

Fast forward almost 18 months now and my son hasn't seen his kids in almost 2yrs now. However, he has turned his life around in terms of his mental health and can now see his ex for what she is/was, he has confessed to me he has proof that she gave false evidence in her statements but much to my annoyance plans to do nothing with it as he "Just wants to get on with his life, and put that chapter behind him".
I however, having been given this information feel like passing this onto the police would be the correct thing to do.
The evidence is this...
1) At the time my son sent the photo of him holding a gun to his head, his ex-partner had a boss whom until recently was a police officer, he saw the photo and told her she needed to get the police involved. Upon telling my son this he admitted to her it was in fact just a realistic looking air pistol. This was relayed to her boss whom advised her to bring the gun into work for him to look at and compare with said photo the next day or he would involve the police himself. My son & his ex-partner obliged with this request and the gun was took in and examined by her ex police officer boss. This event took place several months prior to alleging in her statement regarding the harassment that my son had a "gun" & the subsequent raiding of his Mother's home.
2) The incident regarding the knife. My son has also shown me CCTV footage of the incident showing what really happened which backs up the information he has gave family members and the police, that in fact he held the gun at his own throat and not at his ex-partners.
So, ultimately.. morally, what should I do with this information?
And finally were i to hand over the information to the police or a solicitor etc. what would/could be the likely outcome?
Thank you in advance, and i am very aware my son isn't totally innocent in all of this!
katf
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
He pled guilty so he's going to have a hard time overturning that offence. No family court will allow the kids near a man who has admitted to abusing and threatening their mum, and that is beyond dispute.

If your son's ex was convicted of perverting the course of justice, she'd lose custody of the kids if she had a custodial sentence. That would be a huge upheaval for them. And in all likelihood it would be her parents or family who got custody, or failing that they'd go into short term foster care. Your son wouldn't get custody, and probably not contact.

He has harassed and behaved very threateningly towards his ex. Frankly the best outcome is for him to keep proving that he's a good, upstanding person. Then he might be allowed contact. No good will come of dragging this all up again. It won't improve the relationship between your son and his ex. It definitely won't be good for the kids.

What would be good is trying to arrange supervised contact at a contact centre. His ex might agree to that, but I wouldn't count on it. From her perspective, this man is mentally unstable and has threatened to harm himself to manipulate her before. That is abusive. If I were in her shoes, I wouldn't allow him within a mile of my kids. Don't forget, you only have his side of things. She might have a very different story.
Brenda2210
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would disregard the previous reply and hand the information over to the correct authorities and let them decide what course of action to take. I don't feel your son is entirely innocent in all this and as already said it most likely wouldn't enable any previous decision made against your son to be overturned if that had been a factor in your thinking butif it were my son i would be compelled to hand over any evidence i had of wrong doing.

I am not in anyway knowledgeable of the law and how it works so i couldn't begin to tell with what your sons ex would/could be charged with nor the severity of any potential punishment sorry.

Also as stated above, were she to be given a custodial sentence the kids most likely wouldn't go, at least initially, to your son. They may use a bridging care for them with ideally a close family member until we (social services) could make the appropriate assessments. Provided your son has made the levels of progress with his mental health and if there are professionals whom can give evidence as to any counselling he has undertaken we would always endeavour to cause as little upheaval to a child as practicable. I would add the potential future issues in regard to Mum's contact with children once released from prison (should it go that far) and the pitfalls arpund that any potential resentment towards your son from kids once they are made aware as to why their Mum went to prison and they were subsequently removed from her care. If it is yourself handing over any information it may not affect your son's relationship with his children too badly but their relationship with yourself could be very strained for a very long time.

Whatever you decide, best of luck to yourself and your son
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (112)
28.07%
No (287)
71.93%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed