st andrews vs kings vs warwick vs manchester

Watch
prvblematic
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
im trying to choose between these 4 unis for politics/social science courses. i thought KCL was my first choice because of its reputation & location, but im hearing that its student satisfaction is really low and lecturers dont care about teaching students.

st andrew's would be my next choice, but ive read that its really posh and elitist. im an international student and i hate the idea of having to attend balls and pay tons of money to have a social life.

i like warwick, but the UG modules seem less interesting than that of SA and KCL. i know next to nothing about manchester.

do any other applicants or UG students have any advice?? it would be really appreciated.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by prvblematic)
im trying to choose between these 4 unis for politics/social science courses. i thought KCL was my first choice because of its reputation & location, but im hearing that its student satisfaction is really low and lecturers dont care about teaching students.

st andrew's would be my next choice, but ive read that its really posh and elitist. im an international student and i hate the idea of having to attend balls and pay tons of money to have a social life.

i like warwick, but the UG modules seem less interesting than that of SA and KCL. i know next to nothing about manchester.

do any other applicants or UG students have any advice?? it would be really appreciated.
Do you want to live in a big city, on a campus or in a tiny town?
prvblematic
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Do you want to live in a big city, on a campus or in a tiny town?
ive grown up in both cities and small towns so im pretty flexible either way, though im more used to cities. tbh my main concerns are the actual quality of education + social life
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by prvblematic)
ive grown up in both cities and small towns so im pretty flexible either way, though im more used to cities. tbh my main concerns are the actual quality of education + social life
It doesn’t sound like StAs suits you. And you seem uninspired by the course at Warwick. Don’t feel pressured into picking somewhere that you wouldn’t be happy.

Both KCL and Manchester are great universities. The extra cost and travel stress from London does affect student satisfaction (there are many more students commuting in for an hour or more so the community feel is less) - that might not be an issue for you. Look at the detailed NSS results on unistats for your course. See which questions it scores poorly on and then decide whether those are things that would ruin your experience. At the same time search for reviews and more details for both the KCL and the Manchester course (Manchester is a great university and a brilliant city for students).

You have plenty of time to decide.
prvblematic
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
It doesn’t sound like StAs suits you. And you seem uninspired by the course at Warwick. Don’t feel pressured into picking somewhere that you wouldn’t be happy.

Both KCL and Manchester are great universities. The extra cost and travel stress from London does affect student satisfaction (there are many more students commuting in for an hour or more so the community feel is less) - that might not be an issue for you. Look at the detailed NSS results on unistats for your course. See which questions it scores poorly on and then decide whether those are things that would ruin your experience. At the same time search for reviews and more details for both the KCL and the Manchester course (Manchester is a great university and a brilliant city for students).

You have plenty of time to decide.
yeah, the st andrews campus looks beautiful and the modules really do look interesting, but if the social life is what people say it is...

i'll be sure to look into those. thank you so much, i really appreciate it!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (93)
15.37%
Uncertainty around my education (97)
16.03%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (57)
9.42%
Isolating with family (39)
6.45%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (25)
4.13%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (50)
8.26%
Loneliness (62)
10.25%
Financial worries (26)
4.3%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (58)
9.59%
Exposure to negative news/social media (42)
6.94%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (56)
9.26%

Watched Threads