?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
hi
Alarcon
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
sorry about bothering you. I want to know about aviation universities. can you help me please?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
When you say "aviation", do you mean piloting aircraft, the broader airline industry management and business, or aerospace engineering? They're all very different from each other in many ways, so it'd be helpful to know which direction you're looking in.
Alarcon
Rep:
?
sorry. I haven't given you exactly information. I mean piloting aircraft. do you know about them
Last edited by Alarcon; 2 years ago
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You don't need a degree to become a pilot; there are a couple degree courses which allow you to meet some requirements, but typically you need to take (non-degree) courses that are extremely expensive while getting a lot of experience (flight hours). Realistically the only way this works out unless you're so rich you don't need to work anyway is if you apply to an airline for one of their piloting schemes.

In these you essentially become an indentured labourer, as they'll pay the cost to train you and provide the opportunity to get the necessary hours etc, and then you need to "work off" your debt to them before you can go elsewhere. Even if you do, it's very common that you'll only be qualified to fly an individual airline's planes and won't be able to move between airlines after becoming fully qualified and paying off your debt anyway. You very much end up at the mercy of your employer for all things contractual and they can and will dictate your life to you to a large extent; additionally if the airline goes bust (which is quite common these days) you may well have to start all over again with another airline from the very beginning potentially...
Alarcon
Rep:
?
what about public aviation ? for instance working in airport.
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Alarcon)
what about public aviation ? for instance working in airport.
As in, not being a pilot and just working there? Depends on the role.

If you wanted to manage an airport you would need a lot of time in industry and experience; a degree (in whatever, maybe business is more relevant but probably not specifically necessary) may be helpful in being promoted up to the higher levels. That would probably be the end goal of the "business" (i.e. management) side of things so everything else leading up to that would likely be similar in terms of requirements. If you just wanted to work in a shop in the terminal though, that would have very few requirements. There's a lot between those however...generally requirements for e.g. ground crew and so on are going to be fairly low, security will probably expect you to have relevant licensing and experience though. Immigration is a civil service role, you would probably need a degree to apply as a grad to it.

Air traffic control requires quite a bit of training, similar to piloting, although I believe you can apply to government schemes for training in this (you can also get a degree or may earn a degree in the process). Unlike piloting I believe you're normally employed by the government as a civil servant or by an airport, rather than an airline, so prospects for the role might be a bit better than piloting. ATC here are also pretty well unionised as I understand (although probably not as well as in France! They really have it locked down over there...) which also helps protect them a lot and ensure you get decent outcomes generally. There are however a lot of health requirements/assessments, as with piloting.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 2 years ago
Alarcon
Rep:
?
thanks. And do you know what subjects do I need to study aviation university.I haven't found it even from net. But, I have heard I need physics, math and English.That's why I am training with these subjects to university exams. I want to apply for not only one university. I will finish my lyceum next year. So I think I should start applying for university. I want to apply for Moscow Aviation University, Fly Emirates University,South Aviation University of Australia and etc. But i don't know how to apply. If you know, can you tell me please?
By the way I have forgotten to introduce myself. My name is Kamron. I am from Uzbekistan. And I study at Turin Polytechnic lyceum. If you have any questions you can ask me. I will try to reply them.
hjw02
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Middlesex university does a uni degree called 'Professional Aviation Pilot Practice', theres one called 'airline academy' another for helicopters and a third called 'Tayside aviation' (theres also one called advanced aviation). (link: https://www.mdx.ac.uk/courses/profes...rning/aviation) Also Hertfordshire university does an aerospace technology with pilot studies degree where you learn about the technology in an aircraft as well as being taught how to fly a plane. (link: https://www.herts.ac.uk/courses/aero...t-studies)What some people do is do flight school while studying for a bachelors in a related field (a lot of engineering fields would work such as mechanical). Also if you just want to work in an airport i know teesside in particular does an 'airline and airport management' degree which is basically a business degree oriented toward aviation. (link: https://www.tees.ac.uk/undergraduate...ing_Marketing_
Alarcon
Rep:
?
thank you very much. you did very big favour for me. if I have some questions, can I ask you?
Last edited by Alarcon; 2 years ago
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Alarcon)
thanks. And do you know what subjects do I need to study aviation university.I haven't found it even from net. But, I have heard I need physics, math and English.That's why I am training with these subjects to university exams. I want to apply for not only one university. I will finish my lyceum next year. So I think I should start applying for university. I want to apply for Moscow Aviation University, Fly Emirates University,South Aviation University of Australia and etc. But i don't know how to apply. If you know, can you tell me please?
By the way I have forgotten to introduce myself. My name is Kamron. I am from Uzbekistan. And I study at Turin Polytechnic lyceum. If you have any questions you can ask me. I will try to reply them.
Physics and maths are essential for aerospace engineering. For a business course focusing on the airline industry or travel and tourism, physics wouldn;t be necessary (or probably particularly relevant), and maths is probably not required (although possibly helpful). However, neither is a bad subject to apply to those (or other) degree courses, and English is a suitable option for them as well. However if you're stronger in other subjects, it may be worth considering whether you should take those to get better results overall.
Alarcon
Rep:
?
thanks. and if I have some questions, can I ask from you? you did me big favour. thank you very much. if you have any questions, you can ask me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I’m worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (7)
43.75%
I’m worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (0)
0%
I’m worried it will impact my future career (1)
6.25%
I’m worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (3)
18.75%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (2)
12.5%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (3)
18.75%

Watched Threads