A-level Maths Study Group Watch

x.emilye
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Toastiekid)

Welcome to the A-level maths study group!

Thought this would be something nice to do especially as a lot of you seem to study a level maths:lol:
This is basically where you can chat to others about the subject whether that be ranting or a good test score or a topic you're finding difficult (though if you're struggling with a question it's better to post it in a separate thread)...
So to break the ice a little, there's a few questions you can answer below

Are you in year 12 or year 13?
What exam board are you on?
Why did you pick maths? Current thoughts on the subject?
Are you doing further maths also; what optional modules are you doing if so?
Out of the topics you've covered so far, what's been your favourite and what has been your least favourite- why?

specifications:
AQA- AS | A-level
AQA FM- AS | A-level
Edexcel- AS | A-level
Edexcel FM- AS | A-level
OCR- AS | A-level
OCR FM- AS | A-level
MEI- AS | A-level
MEI FM- AS | A-level
CIE- 2019 exams | 2020 exams onwards
WJEC- AS/A-level
WJEC FM- AS/A-level

if you know of any good resources that aren't in the list below please feel free to mention them so they can edited into the list!

resources:

Hi - I'm in year 12 & I'm doing OCR MEI A Level Maths and Further Maths. I'm thinking of doing something Economics related at uni. I've already done the whole of AS Maths and some A Level Maths/AS Further Maths topics and I'd say Mechanics is my least favourite so far. Doing Maths and Further Maths will be a struggle, but I hope to get an A* in Maths and at least an A in Further
maylam0515
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi fellow Mathletes!

Im currently in year 13 and doing Math, Philosophy, Sociology (odd combo I know), predicted A*AA (with A* being Sociology) and would really like someone to study maths with me. Studying the new 2017 Mathematics Spec from Edexcel. Message me!
nyxnko_
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lionike123)
Who started the normal distribution. Its a killer. I also hate Converting logs to straight line questions.
Just started this week... It looks disgusting but I think it's been okay so far
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by x.emilye)
Hi - I'm in year 12 & I'm doing OCR MEI A Level Maths and Further Maths. I'm thinking of doing something Economics related at uni. I've already done the whole of AS Maths and some A Level Maths/AS Further Maths topics and I'd say Mechanics is my least favourite so far. Doing Maths and Further Maths will be a struggle, but I hope to get an A* in Maths and at least an A in Further
Best of luck! :rave: Aww.. I love mechanics :love: it's definitely nicer than statistics :yucky:
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by maylam0515)
Hi fellow Mathletes!

Im currently in year 13 and doing Math, Philosophy, Sociology (odd combo I know), predicted A*AA (with A* being Sociology) and would really like someone to study maths with me. Studying the new 2017 Mathematics Spec from Edexcel. Message me!
Best of luck! :rave: I'm on the same course too :five: What's your favourite part so far? :holmes:
maylam0515
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by nyxnko_)
Best of luck! :rave: I'm on the same course too :five: What's your favourite part so far? :holmes:
Thank you! Ill need it How you finding the new spec? Do u have trouble finding accurately representative resources for revision too? Well my favourite part is calculus in true asian fashion hhahaha and my worst is Mechanics, what about you?
RavenclawOwl
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi everyone! Just got back my January mock with a high C! Very proud since we haven't finished the course yet (I'm taking my exam in Year 12 so we had to fit it all in with less time) and am feeling confident I can get an A* (or A ) at the end of the year! Oxford here I come (Hopefully maybe possibly...)
RavenclawOwl
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Also just gonna throw it out there - I love stats!

I am not normal
Lemur14
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by RavenclawOwl)

I am not normal
Stats is great :ninja:
Although I think I prefer decision in the exam as I'm better at it :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by maylam0515)
Thank you! Ill need it How you finding the new spec? Do u have trouble finding accurately representative resources for revision too? Well my favourite part is calculus in true asian fashion hhahaha and my worst is Mechanics, what about you?
Honestly, can't really compare it to old spec, given I haven't done old spec :lol:
Tbh, any practice is good practice (unless you do so much your head hurts ) I would say that most old spec questions are representative of easier-style questions, so as long as you make sure you do enough problem-solving elsewhere, the exams aren't really a problem :nah:
My favourite part is calculus too! :yep: It's so satisfying when you get it right! :gah: Tbh, most of the applied in normal maths is really tedious. I much prefer FM1 in further maths
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi everyone! Just got back my January mock with a high C! Very proud since we haven't finished the course yet (I'm taking my exam in Year 12 so we had to fit it all in with less time) and am feeling confident I can get an A* (or A ) at the end of the year! Oxford here I come (Hopefully maybe possibly...)
Best of luck!! :rave: Hope you finish the course soon!

I am not normal
Can't relate :nah: mechanics is definitely better :yep:
RavenclawOwl
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by nyxnko_)
Best of luck!! :rave: Hope you finish the course soon!
Thank you!!! Loving all the support on here!
Emansob
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi Everyone
Just finished the syllabus at Sixth form, so I started revision today and I looked for a study group on TSR with three months to go before exams, i suspect this the group will get busier as the weeks go by and exam apporaches
Anyway to answer

Are you in year 12 or year 13? (Year 13)
What exam board are you on? (AQA A level MATHS 7537)
Why did you pick maths? Current thoughts on the subject? (Applying to study chemical engineering at Uni and Maths goes with well with any other Alevel)
Out of the topics you've covered so far, what's been your favourite and what has been your least favourite- why? (Probably mechanics I found it to be straight foward and logical probably due to senario based questions, least favourite probably logarithms )
RavenclawOwl
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Emansob)
Hi Everyone
Just finished the syllabus at Sixth form, so I started revision today and I looked for a study group on TSR with three months to go before exams, i suspect this the group will get busier as the weeks go by and exam apporaches
Anyway to answer

Why did you pick maths? Current thoughts on the subject? (Applying to study chemical engineering at Uni and Maths goes with well with any other Alevel)
Out of the topics you've covered so far, what's been your favourite and what has been your least favourite- why? (Probably mechanics I found it to be straight foward and logical probably due to senario based questions, least favourite probably logarithms )
Okay so we have a crazy amount in common! I'm taking AQA A level maths this year too! Aiming for an A*, and I'm working really hard to get there. What revision have you started off with?
entertainmyfaith
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
congrats
Hi Everyone
Anyway to answer

ewgh mechanics i'm struggling with at the mo:cry: really don't like it but hopefully will warm up to it:unsure:
Emansob
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Haha Really ? Yes same here I'm aiming for an A* as well, I'm revising Statistics at the moment, plan to revise Mechanics next, so In April I'll do mechanics and stats past papers whilst revising core maths/paper 1.
What have you started with ?
Okay so we have a crazy amount in common! I'm taking AQA A level maths this year too! Aiming for an A*, and I'm working really hard to get there. What revision have you started off with?
Emansob
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by entertainmyfaith)
congrats

ewgh mechanics i'm struggling with at the mo:cry: really don't like it but hopefully will warm up to it:unsure:
For mechanics I learnt a lot of it using the website exam solutions, although there another site which I think is better called TLMaths I will provide a link to the site https://sites.google.com/site/tlmath...7/full-a-level
I think you might find it helpful for mechanics as well as everything else !
entertainmyfaith
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
For mechanics I learnt a lot of it using the website exam solutions, although there another site which I think is better called TLMaths I will provide a link to the site https://sites.google.com/site/tlmath...7/full-a-level
I think you might find it helpful for mechanics as well as everything else !
thank you
RavenclawOwl
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Haha Really ? Yes same here I'm aiming for an A* as well, I'm revising Statistics at the moment, plan to revise Mechanics next, so In April I'll do mechanics and stats past papers whilst revising core maths/paper 1.
What have you started with ?
Honestly you're much more prepared than me! I haven't finished the course yet so my focus is still on understanding the last two topics we have left (dynamics and moments, the latter of which seems to be easy?). Hope all goes well over the coming months.
lucy9y
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi I'm studying further maths a level on the ocr mei exam board. Does anyone know of any past paper style questions suitable for revision for the mechanics minor especially but also stats minor, algorithms minor or the pure exams??
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (149)
18.53%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.83%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (136)
16.92%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (114)
14.18%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.83%
How can I be the best version of myself? (247)
30.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise