My writing is too descriptive and I struggle to critically analyse. PLEASE HELP :( Watch

denmegan
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi. I'm in need of some help. I'm in my third year of university studying Psychology, and for the life of me I struggle so much with essay writing. I have an essay due in next week, which I have been working on from the start of the Christmas period, and I just can't get my head around it. My writing is way too descriptive with everything I write, and I just cannot get my head around critically analysing things and I really need the best grade I can to do a masters degree. I did get 2:1's last year, one first a few 2:2's and the rest low - mid 2.1's. My critical analysis is dragging my grades down and I have tried everything in my power to get my essays better and more critical. Any advice? Here's my essay question below if it helps, not sure if it will but I thought I'd put it there anyway. Critically discuss how insights from community and social psychological theory and research can help to understand and address significant health issues facing our society.How do I even start? I just keep describing things rather than put any analysis in there. Thank you if you can help!
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Critically discuss how insights from community and social psychological theory and research can help to understand and address significant health issues facing our society

Hope you do this with every essay title. Take the last two bolded, what are they?

Essay Structure:

Support

Topic (One sentence, what you are discussing in the paragraph)
Evidence (Evidence for that topic)
Analysis (Does it support your thesis statement)

Counter

Analysis (Does it go against your thesis statement)

You may have three bits you want to talk about, in which case you would have six paragraphs for your main body. Depends on word count etc, I got firsts in all my essays minus one.
denmegan
Rep:
?
(Original post by random_matt)
Critically discuss how insights from community and social psychological theory and research can help to understand and address significant health issues facing our society

Hope you do this with every essay title. Take the last two bolded, what are they?

Essay Structure:

Support

Counter

You may have three bits you want to talk about, in which case you would have six paragraphs for your main body. Depends on word count etc, I got firsts in all my essays minus one.
This is extremely useful, thank you so much.
denmegan
Rep:
?
(Original post by random_matt)

Essay Structure:

Support

Counter

The issue I'm addressing is older men and loneliness. I started by making a point that social isolation is a consquence of loneliness. and looked at research which explored the mediating roles in loneliness - lack of social relationships. Sorry didn't realise you'd asked a question.
StormyOcean
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I really struggle with to so dont worry. I will write an essay in my normal descriptive way and then go back through reading every paragraph and say "Is this answering the question". If it isn't I get read of the bits that don't and then add a conclusion at the end of each paragraph summarising the point I am trying to make. Also if I include a study always try do a tiny evaluation of it saying a significantly good or bad thing about it
denmegan
Rep:
?
(Original post by PsychStudySarah)
I really struggle with to so dont worry. I will write an essay in my normal descriptive way and then go back through reading every paragraph and say "Is this answering the question". If it isn't I get read of the bits that don't and then add a conclusion at the end of each paragraph summarising the point I am trying to make. Also if I include a study always try do a tiny evaluation of it saying a significantly good or bad thing about it
Thank you so much
BPBPBPBP
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Think in terms of a system, imagine things/concepts (in the subject area you've been given) having knock of effects etc., in the real world how it works, problems, issues, new sollutions, current solutions, how they work well or don't, why they don't or do, ideas/imagination for improvement, ways to improve. Ways to find ways to improve.
VorpalSword
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Describe something. Then ask 'so what?' What are the consequences for society? What is the 'real world' impact? That's what examiners are looking for. It's not about just knowing something, it's about understanding why it matters.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads