chemistry Watch

sabiahhh
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
how do i learn to answer past papers on chemistry!?!?! its like i know the material and understand it but i just dont know how to apply it. I've always sucked at chem last year i got straight Fs and this year i get Bs and Cs even though its the most subject i study for. i cant tell if this is a rant or question anymore but HELPP
Aishraat
Badges: 14
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sabiahhh)
how do i learn to answer past papers on chemistry!?!?! its like i know the material and understand it but i just dont know how to apply it. I've always sucked at chem last year i got straight Fs and this year i get Bs and Cs even though its the most subject i study for. i cant tell if this is a rant or question anymore but HELPP
Hello,

I got an E in AS chemistry and need help on this also xx
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Refraction
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi,I’m not sure what it is that you’re having problems with. But first of all you should put your information into groups, so for example you have a lot of tests that identify substances, such metal ions, Sulfates, carbonates, insoluble precipitates etc. Then after learning these you should find all the exam questions related to the relevant tests and apply them to the question. Most of these types of questions simply ask you to describe a test to identify certain substances ie what metal ion is present or is it acidic or alkaline or what colour would the flame be if it was calcium etc..Then learn the next group of things such as ionic and covalent bonds. Learn their properties, differences and learn how to draw covalent and ionic bonds. Do plenty of examples on how to identify which ones are covalent and which are ionic. Ionic make bonds by transfer of electrons but covalent share their electrons etc... Then find all exam questions on these topics and apply. As long as you have learnt all their properties you can apply the info Then next group of topics ie Alkanes and Alkenes, everything to do do with them and same method learn their properties and then apply it to the question.If you don’t understand a certain topic then use revision guides as these help break down large chunks of info into smaller parts. Watch you tube videos by chemistry with hazel she’s really good.Hope this helps, there is only so much I can write on a message.All the best
sabiahhh
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
thank you sooo much , this is really helpful and im going to start revising chem like this from now on!
GP-Luffy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I would suggest just do some simple notes then jump straight into topicals. Everytime your teacher finishes teaching a small topic, spend a bit of time reading through them, if you don't understand, do some online research or clarify them or else it will hurt in the long term. No point harping on the notes you prepared because in my opinion, having the knowledge is one thing, applying them in questions are another.Also, if you don't understand any theory or have problems with calculations, always check through websites like chemguide, it's really helpful. All the best in your chemistry revision!
Refraction
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I would imagine that you have got the understanding which is why you can start applying the knowledge to the exam questions. A lot of the time looking at answers to exam questions helps to identify and recognise what the examiners wants and what is required for the answer. Once you get into the habit of going through the markschemes over and over again this will help you to get familiar with the language and with how the examiner wants you to answer the question. Like I said before grouping your notes and putting them into similar categories such as similarities and differences between certain substances and the way they react and their properties really helps because you can also see how everything interlinks each other. Write down key words on flash cards and the meaning on the other side. i.e Addition Reaction on one side and on the other its meaning. Learn all the different experiments that show how to make co2, diffusion with bromine gas, how to make 02, how to show energy transfer using two different methods etc. Practice equations such as how to find the empirical formula, or molecular formula. Spend a few hours writing out all the different calculations that are required and then practice them over and over again. If you are determined then you will get there. Good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • University of Kent
    Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities Further education
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (61)
8.38%
I used to but I don't now (18)
2.47%