The Student Room Group

Uni choice opinions?

So I have offers from Edinburgh and Imperial for MEng Engineering. I'm Scottish so Edinburgh would be way cheaper and is also close by. I need some help picking which one.

Imperial Pros: Far away from parents (we don't get on well), better than Edinburgh (stats-wise), new and different approach to learning.
Imperial Cons: would have to rely on parents to help out financially, don't know the city, would be in debt, far away from friends and people I know, I don't know if I can keep up with their standards.

Edinburgh Pros: Way cheaper than imperial, closer to my mates, wouldn't need parent's help to pay for anything, I'm familiar with the city.
Edinburgh cons: parents would be able to see me, it's not as good as imperial, parents would be m A D if I went there or put them as my firm.

Any suggestions on who to pick?
Original post by RjIsRandom
So I have offers from Edinburgh and Imperial for MEng Engineering. I'm Scottish so Edinburgh would be way cheaper and is also close by. I need some help picking which one.

Imperial Pros: Far away from parents (we don't get on well), better than Edinburgh (stats-wise), new and different approach to learning.
Imperial Cons: would have to rely on parents to help out financially, don't know the city, would be in debt, far away from friends and people I know, I don't know if I can keep up with their standards.

Edinburgh Pros: Way cheaper than imperial, closer to my mates, wouldn't need parent's help to pay for anything, I'm familiar with the city.
Edinburgh cons: parents would be able to see me, it's not as good as imperial, parents would be m A D if I went there or put them as my firm.

Any suggestions on who to pick?

It's difficult.

You have until May at the earliest to decide. I would suggest you pick one, write it down - maybe even tell your parents....and then don't make it official on Track. Wait a month and see how you feel about that decision. If you're not sure then do the same thing for the other one. Try on a decision for size and live with it.
It sounds like you feel more comfortable with the idea of Edinburgh and your reasons for doubting it are tied in with your poor relationship with your parents. My personal opinion is that you should go with the place that has more positives for you (regardless of how your parents feel about it), which seems to be Edinburgh. You say that a con of Edinburgh is that your parents would be able to see you, but as long as you get accomodation in Halls, you wouldn't necessarily have to see much of them just because you are in the same city. And as you don't get on with your parents, it would probably be easier for you to not have to rely on them financially and to have the support of your local friends in addition to the new ones you will make at Uni (although you would make new friends at both Unis, London is huge and impersonal and can be a lonely place for people new to the city).

For engineering, Imperial may score better than Edinburgh in some ways ("stats wise") but Edinburgh is still an extremely prestigious Uni, as I'm sure you know. You should feel proud to have received offers at both, and I wish you all the best with your decision.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending