The Student Room Group

I feel so overwhelmed, and only in Year 10, help?!

I am currently in Year 10 and I feel so stressed out and overwhelmed. I have to revise for mocks and have a good reputation with teachers and get good grades. I want to apply to this sixth form that looks at your past two end of year report grades, meaning the Year 10 and the Year 11 one. This means I have to constantly keep it up and I can’t let anything drop or relax. It also asks in one of the scholarships I’m interested in about what fundraising have you done in your school. I don’t even know where to start with that? I feel like I don’t have time, I am terrible at revising, and also have to prepare to apply for this sixth form next year. There is just so much to think about , that I end up freaking out and doing nothing.
My mental health is also not great, and my friends are turning out to not actually be great friends. I have also recently signed up to a leadership role in Scouts, which is really stressful as I have duties there and I’m not very naturally confident. I am also not very happy in my current school, but I can’t move in the middle of my GCSEs, and the school I would move to don’t take anyone in Year 11 anyway. What do I do? Any useful advice would be much appreciated!
Reply 1
Man... you really have it hard. First off, I’m sorry that you’re already so overwhelmed in year 10, but I can guarantee that if you learn how to manage your time well enough and be able to balance your social life as well as your academic one, you won’t feel as helpless anymore.

What happened with your friends? Our social environment and support system can usually affect our academic performance much greater than internal forces. I suggest you evaluate your chosen friends and confront and/or leave those who you really can’t be friends with instead of tiring yourself out.

If you’re terrible at revising, I suggest you find a friend and ask them how they revise or even look up at different revision methods. Maybe you havent found your method yet! I was in year 11 when I finally figured out that I prefer repeating my syllabus to myself before exams because it helps me remember more.

I can’t help with the school stuff, but remember this: you do have time. So much. Even if you mess up, there is always time (even if it’s just a week, a day, or even a few minutes, you still have it.) Also remember to be kind to yourself when stressed. Look up that thing about holding a glass of water and how it compares to stress.

Hope it gets better! Best of luck.

Quick Reply

Latest