charlotte78xx
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hi, I'm in my first year of a uni I don't enjoy and I want to transfer/ change universities, when and how do I apply to the new uni?
Is the changing process long, what does it look like?
The closing applications for 2019 are jan 15th, I won't be able to apply before that date, because i will be changing universities will i be able to change universities at the end of the first year or is it better to start the application now?
Alarcon
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I think you should stay at your university till the first term. Because If you be some time
at your uni you may like it otherwise you can leave it.
Last edited by Alarcon; 9 months ago
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi, your first step would be to identify the Uni you want to transfer to and email their Admissions department to ask them whether a transfer would be possible. If you want to do the same course, it is possible that you could transfer straight into their Year 2 in September - but this would depend on how similar the modules are at your current Uni and whether they have a vacancy in Year 2. If you can't transfer into Year 2, they may still tell you that you can transfer into their Year 1 - as long as they are happy with your A level grades (or equivalent qualifications). They will want to know all the details about your academic progress, including how you are doing so far this year, but the first step is contacting them.

If they are able to accept you as a transfer student, you will probably still need to complete a new UCAS form, but don't worry too much about the 15th January date as most Unis are still recruiting for a long time after that. Good Luck and let us know how it goes!
charlotte78xx
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
Hi, your first step would be to identify the Uni you want to transfer to and email their Admissions department to ask them whether a transfer would be possible. If you want to do the same course, it is possible that you could transfer straight into their Year 2 in September - but this would depend on how similar the modules are at your current Uni and whether they have a vacancy in Year 2. If you can't transfer into Year 2, they may still tell you that you can transfer into their Year 1 - as long as they are happy with your A level grades (or equivalent qualifications). They will want to know all the details about your academic progress, including how you are doing so far this year, but the first step is contacting them.

If they are able to accept you as a transfer student, you will probably still need to complete a new UCAS form, but don't worry too much about the 15th January date as most Unis are still recruiting for a long time after that. Good Luck and let us know how it goes!
thank you that's really helpful, my current year at uni isn't going well as I've had a bad start and not received much help, however I do have the entry requirements A -level wise from my college so will it matter how I did at my current uni? thanks
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
It will matter if you are aiming to complete the year at your current Uni and then transfer into Year 2 at the new Uni, but if that's not the case and you are talking about starting Year 1 again, they will mostly look at your A levels.

If it's the same course, they will probably want to know why it didn't work out the first time around, so you would need to think about how to explain it in a way that ressures them that you would be able to cope better next time.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by charlotte78xx)
Hi, I'm in my first year of a uni I don't enjoy and I want to transfer/ change universities, when and how do I apply to the new uni?
Is the changing process long, what does it look like?
The closing applications for 2019 are jan 15th, I won't be able to apply before that date, because i will be changing universities will i be able to change universities at the end of the first year or is it better to start the application now?
Have a read of the Transfer FAQ thread at the top of the applications, clearing and ucas forum. The first post should answer most of your questions.

If you’re applying for first year entry then you will need to meet the January deadline to apply for any courses that are likely to be closed on that date.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (163)
59.06%
No I haven't decided yet (66)
23.91%
Yes but I might change my mind (47)
17.03%

Watched Threads