Contract & Constitutional law HELP A FIRST YEAR PLEASE

Watch
Elizabeth666
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello everyone, i need help from anyone who studies law. please only positive suggestions as I have really bad anxiety.

I have my contract law exam (open book) And my constitutional law exam in the week beginning the 21st of January. I have not done any study or notes so now i basically just have this week and next to try and pass these exams. My coursework has been good. i got a 2:1 in both but they are only worth 30percent of the overall grade. What should i focus on as the bare minimum!! I'm panicking, I could send in an exceptional circumstances as I have kids and am an assisted learning student due to anxiety but I'd rather not. When do you do exams if you get accepted as not being able to do them? I'm sorry but basically i just need some reassurance. thanking you in advance
Elizabeth666
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, thank you so much for your reply. I’ve decided not to try and postpone them and just give it a shot. Worst thing that can happen is I fail, and if I do it will be a lesson for the future. I know pretty much which topics will come up, however I don’t know whether I should concentrate on learning cases or journal articles or quotes and definitions. I’m hoping I don’t panic and just have a memory blank. What do you think gets you at least a pass?! Thanks for your input I really appreciate it(Original post by JohanGRK)
Extenuating circumstances don't un-****-up your results. Your priority should be to do well.

The matter of when you sit a resit is up to the university. There may be a resit period in May or August of this year. Your course handbook should be helpful here.

Assuming that you can't postpone the exams entirely...

I'd spend tonight going through recent past papers in order to spot the topics that came up. Once you've done that, pick the minimum number of topics that you will need to know in order to be able to answer at least 3 or 4 or however many questions are in that exam. You should have a very short list of topics left (maybe 4 or 5?).

After that, go buy some notes off someone for the relevant topics. Cross out any redundant/irrelevant stuff and rearrange the notes if need be (they usually come as .docs so that should be easy). If they came as a PDF, get Adobe Acrobat and do the same thing. From that point onwards, it's just a matter of trying to understand as much as you can in the time you have left. I stress the word 'understand', because that's the only way you'll be able to to remember anything on the day - trying to do everything off by heart when it sounds like gibberish is the path to forgetting everything and failing.

While revising, try creating quick essay plans for common topics that you've seen come up. These should be handwritten and done separately from the main notes.

You've got very long days coming ahead, so I'd offload the kids if possible. Nothing worst than trying to get into the 'mood' for a topic with constant distractions around you!
DarkChaoz95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Elizabeth666)
Hi, thank you so much for your reply. I’ve decided not to try and postpone them and just give it a shot. Worst thing that can happen is I fail, and if I do it will be a lesson for the future. I know pretty much which topics will come up, however I don’t know whether I should concentrate on learning cases or journal articles or quotes and definitions. I’m hoping I don’t panic and just have a memory blank. What do you think gets you at least a pass?! Thanks for your input I really appreciate it(Original post by JohanGRK)
Extenuating circumstances don't un-****-up your results. Your priority should be to do well.

The matter of when you sit a resit is up to the university. There may be a resit period in May or August of this year. Your course handbook should be helpful here.

Assuming that you can't postpone the exams entirely...

I'd spend tonight going through recent past papers in order to spot the topics that came up. Once you've done that, pick the minimum number of topics that you will need to know in order to be able to answer at least 3 or 4 or however many questions are in that exam. You should have a very short list of topics left (maybe 4 or 5?).

After that, go buy some notes off someone for the relevant topics. Cross out any redundant/irrelevant stuff and rearrange the notes if need be (they usually come as .docs so that should be easy). If they came as a PDF, get Adobe Acrobat and do the same thing. From that point onwards, it's just a matter of trying to understand as much as you can in the time you have left. I stress the word 'understand', because that's the only way you'll be able to to remember anything on the day - trying to do everything off by heart when it sounds like gibberish is the path to forgetting everything and failing.

While revising, try creating quick essay plans for common topics that you've seen come up. These should be handwritten and done separately from the main notes.

You've got very long days coming ahead, so I'd offload the kids if possible. Nothing worst than trying to get into the 'mood' for a topic with constant distractions around you!
Aside of what said,

Did you speak to your lecturers about submitting extenuating circumstances and talked to them about your situation? If your problem is really effecting your health then they will support you. I would personally try get the exams deferred to May or whenever is the next exam sitting. If not, then you can follow what Johan has said.

Because if you fail this, your next sitting will be capped at 40 marks and I would personally not risk it knowing that your struggling and its affecting your health.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.2%
I'm not sure (59)
4.53%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (381)
29.24%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.84%
I'm not a current university student (641)
49.19%

Watched Threads