A level psychology question on minority influence help please!!

Watch
User3737
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am struggling to know whether to talk about conversion theory (ie consistency, flexibility, commitment) or social change in this question (ie drawing attention ... social crypotamnesia). Can anybody suggest which would be best?

"Psychologists have discovered that minority influence can be an important social influence process in jury decision making. A jury of 12 people has to decide on the guilt or innocence of a defendant charged with murder. A vote is taken at the start of the jury's deliberations - 11 believe the defendant is guilty. Only one person is convinced of his innocence. Because the jury has to make an unanimous decision, the discussion begins. After several hours, another vote is taken. This time all 12 jurors believe the defendant is NOT guilty."

Using what you know about minority influence, explain how this change of opinion could have happened. (6 marks)
Routeri
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think you should talk about the conversion theory as the example given isn't an example of social change. Also giving a quote from the example to explain where you are getting your idea from may be good to do.
User3737
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Routeri)
I think you should talk about the conversion theory as the example given isn't an example of social change. Also giving a quote from the example to explain where you are getting your idea from may be good to do.
Thank you! I was thinking that it made more sense to use conversion theory but wasn't sure - thanks for the help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (57)
17.27%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (93)
28.18%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (125)
37.88%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.33%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.33%

Watched Threads