Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay so there is a particular unit I am doing that is LONG. I am working with my friend then two other guys.

Everything was going good at first, but now it's going downhill. So I went to a meeting today all by myself, so get feedback for our plan on our short film/doc. And the professor that gave us feedback said to do things that would be considered "extra" like I.e meeting up with the subject we have and talking to him. He lives an hour away from us and I totally understand that it is long- However it is just required for us to do unfortunately (I think it's quite long and extra too)

So I explained to the two guys exactly what we have to do and they had quite a strong negative reaction to it and said things like "fu#k all that extra sh!t" "we won't do all that sh!t" so they clearly aren't up for the travelling or doing extra work, they just want the bare minimum which will hardly get us a good grade. I have no idea what to do, as I am the group leader but it looks like I will have to work extra hard by myself and do all the work, as the other two seem like they can't be bothered. I understand that there is time and money put into this, but its what the professor told me to do but they responded to negatively and seem frustrated.

Is there anyone that has been in this situation and how did you handle it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    Okay so there is a particular unit I am doing that is LONG. I am working with my friend then two other guys.

Everything was going good at first, but now it's going downhill. So I went to a meeting today all by myself, so get feedback for our plan on our short film/doc. And the professor that gave us feedback said to do things that would be considered "extra" like I.e meeting up with the subject we have and talking to him. He lives an hour away from us and I totally understand that it is long- However it is just required for us to do unfortunately (I think it's quite long and extra too)

So I explained to the two guys exactly what we have to do and they had quite a strong negative reaction to it and said things like "fu#k all that extra sh!t" "we won't do all that sh!t" so they clearly aren't up for the travelling or doing extra work, they just want the bare minimum which will hardly get us a good grade. I have no idea what to do, as I am the group leader but it looks like I will have to work extra hard by myself and do all the work, as the other two seem like they can't be bothered. I understand that there is time and money put into this, but its what the professor told me to do but they responded to negatively and seem frustrated.

Is there anyone that has been in this situation and how did you handle it?
    If reasoning with the group doesn’t work then speak your project supervisor or whomever it is you go to for these things. It’s about your grades so your best bet is for it get resolved one way or another.

ReputationRep:
    explain to ur professor...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    This is how things sometimes work in the real world. You have to work with people who just aren't up to your standards. It's also why I detest group work at uni.

You can try raising the issues with your professor, although being able to handle things like this yourself is important. You basically have two options. Either you put the extra effort in yourself (and possibly risk your group mates getting unfair credit) or you don't bother and deal with it. Odds are you can handle a low mark much more than they can.

I had to do a group project (worth 50% of my grade in a module) during first year. I valued my high grade more than dealing with poor group mates. I was stuck with one person who didn't participate and one who did help, but I wouldn't consider up to my standards. I got on, did the work and we all got around 80% in the assignment. The other 2 didn't deserve it but I'd much rather take reponsibility and do good work over shirking responsibility like them and doing poorly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    This is how things sometimes work in the real world. You have to work with people who just aren't up to your standards. It's also why I detest group work at uni.

You can try raising the issues with your professor, although being able to handle things like this yourself is important. You basically have two options. Either you put the extra effort in yourself (and possibly risk your group mates getting unfair credit) or you don't bother and deal with it. Odds are you can handle a low mark much more than they can.

I had to do a group project (worth 50% of my grade in a module) during first year. I valued my high grade more than dealing with poor group mates. I was stuck with one person who didn't participate and one who did help, but I wouldn't consider up to my standards. I got on, did the work and we all got around 80% in the assignment. The other 2 didn't deserve it but I'd much rather take reponsibility and do good work over shirking responsibility like them and doing poorly.
    Thank you. It's really frustrating I explained to them in the nicest way possible but they were angry, werent willing to listen and had such a rude, negative reaction towards it.
    I would prefer to handle it myself- I guess I will just have to get on with it and get the grade that I want.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thank you. It's really frustrating I explained to them in the nicest way possible but they were angry, werent willing to listen and had such a rude, negative reaction towards it.
    I would prefer to handle it myself- I guess I will just have to get on with it and get the grade that I want.
    I know the feeling. I at least didn't have to deal with rude group mates, they just didn't turn up or know how to do the work.

Did you try to convince them via message or in person? If you've got some tangible evidence that you tried to convince them (text, email, etc.) then you can bring it up with your professor. A university will want you to deal with this yourself but equally it's still education rather than work. They won't just go along with people who don't want to bother

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    I know the feeling. I at least didn't have to deal with rude group mates, they just didn't turn up or know how to do the work.

Did you try to convince them via message or in person? If you've got some tangible evidence that you tried to convince them (text, email, etc.) then you can bring it up with your professor. A university will want you to deal with this yourself but equally it's still education rather than work. They won't just go along with people who don't want to bother
    I genuinely do not know what to say. I already explained to them what the professor wants us to do, but they don't want to do it and want to get the easiest way out. I understand their point of view though- it would cost a handful of money going back and fourth and also it will take up a lot of time and effort.

Oh and it was all through text.

ReputationRep:
    Group work sucks.
    When I was at uni I ended up doing a whole group project on my own, and we then had to give a presentation on our findings. I passed a few questions over to them on purpose, which they'd have known if they'd had any involvement at all, and they didn't have a clue, so they were both failed while I got a good mark as I remember.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I genuinely do not know what to say. I already explained to them what the professor wants us to do, but they don't want to do it and want to get the easiest way out. I understand their point of view though- it would cost a handful of money going back and fourth and also it will take up a lot of time and effort.

Oh and it was all through text.
    Are there any compromises you can make here? Any sort of meet in the middle rather than travelling all the way? Long distance discussion via something like Skype? Alternatives you can do for that "extra" that are less financially and time burdensome?

If it's all through text, then you can at least raise this with the professor. If you choose to go ahead with it, you can show that you put the extra effort in. So you'll hopefully get the credit and they won't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Are there any compromises you can make here? Any sort of meet in the middle rather than travelling all the way? Long distance discussion via something like Skype? Alternatives you can do for that "extra" that are less financially and time burdensome?

If it's all through text, then you can at least raise this with the professor. If you choose to go ahead with it, you can show that you put the extra effort in. So you'll hopefully get the credit and they won't.
    I think there is only one circumstance where we could get away with not having to travel far for filming, or we could discuss during Skype. But the professor really wants us to try and travel as much as we can, which will obviously cost us a fair amount of money so I understand what guys are talking about.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I think there is only one circumstance where we could get away with not having to travel far for filming, or we could discuss during Skype. But the professor really wants us to try and travel as much as we can, which will obviously cost us a fair amount of money so I understand what guys are talking about.
    Have you raised the issue with your professor? About how it'd be too expensive for you to undertake? It's all well and good the professor wanting you to do things, but they're not always viable.

Ultimately though, you'll have to consider whether it's worth whatever extra you get for it. Spending out loads of money and expending a ton of time isn't worth it for a minor bump in grade. Consider whehter it's truly worthwhile. If not, don't bother. It's one thing to take over work from group mates that aren't interested in participating but a totally different matter to waste time and money on something that doesn't really benefit you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    Have you raised the issue with your professor? About how it'd be too expensive for you to undertake? It's all well and good the professor wanting you to do things, but they're not always viable.

Ultimately though, you'll have to consider whether it's worth whatever extra you get for it. Spending out loads of money and expending a ton of time isn't worth it for a minor bump in grade. Consider whehter it's truly worthwhile. If not, don't bother. It's one thing to take over work from group mates that aren't interested in participating but a totally different matter to waste time and money on something that doesn't really benefit you.
    Okay, cool.
    I raised the money issue with my professor and see what he will say. The work does and look very time consuming I must say so I understand their frustration. However they still seem to want to put in minimal work in so I think it's a mixture of the two

Thank you so much for your help

ReputationRep:
    Okay, cool.
    I raised the money issue with my professor and see what he will say. The work does and look very time consuming I must say so I understand their frustration. However they still seem to want to put in minimal work in so I think it's a mixture of the two

Thank you so much for your help
    It's all well and good for a professor to request you do things, but they won't be the ones paying for it. If the cost/effort outweighs the benefit, ask what else can be done to get extra (if you still want to get extra). As for lazy group members, there isn't much you can do apart from things like putting credits at the end of your doc to show who did (or didn't) do which roles, and making sure that they get some questions thrown their way if you present it.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    I think your professor has been a bit unreasonable here- traveling an hour each way is a lot, and some people do have other commitments that may make this difficult. If this will be expensive, then again he's putting you in a difficult situation. However, if the other guys were actively rude, this is not OK either- it's one thing to say "**** that ****" but another to be rude/aggressive towards you. If they are actually being aggressive then I think it's fine to raise the fact they had an extreme reaction towards you with the professor, and share that they made you feel uncomfortable- that's not ok at all and he should step in here.

If they weren't actually aggressive, I'd suggest sending a group email saying something along the lines of:

"[Professor] has suggested we do X/Y/Z. I know when I raised this with the group, some people weren't keen. Can I ask if it's the cost or time that's an issue and why, so that I can raise this with him?"

You may find one of them is in financial hardship or has caring responsibilities or can't do this for some other reason, in which case I think it's fine to go back to the professor and say "what you're asking isn't really reasonable, because X. What are some alternatives?"

Alternatively, could you find a way to make the work a fair split without everyone doing the same thing- if you did all the traveling, and they did all the editing (for example), would this work out as a roughly even time split? Do you think this could be a potential solution? Again, maybe suggest this via email and see what they say?

Try to keep things to your uni emails, so if things really do go tits up, you can easily forward stuff on to your professor.

I do agree with others that it's worth thinking about the cost/benefit- e.g. one day trip may make a big difference to your grade, but extra shorter trips may not be that worthwhile.

ReputationRep:
    update: SarcAndSpark PhoenixFortune Acsel

I raised the money issue to the professor- he doesnt care.
    Now he thinks my group isnt that good and shouldnt have picked this course.
    He was like a student railway card is under 4 pounds each way to (the city we are going to) and think my group is making petty excuses.

I honestly do not know what to do.

ReputationRep:
    group work at university is a stupid idea. you have responsibility but no authority. people don't put effort in because there's very little incentive for them to put effort in. at a workplace if people slack off they get removed from the project or they get fired for underperformance.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

He was like a student railway card is under 4 pounds each way to (the city we are going to) and think my group is making petty excuses.

To be fair, if it's only a £4 journey each way, he kinda has a point that bringing up the money issue is petty. That said, it's hardly appropriate to think you shouldn't be on the course, just because of this. Not everyone wants to go out of their way anyway.

What are the costs to you? Financial, time, etc. And what are you going to get out of doing this? Is it actually worth you doing this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    To be fair, if it's only a £4 journey each way, he kinda has a point that bringing up the money issue is petty. That said, it's hardly appropriate to think you shouldn't be on the course, just because of this. Not everyone wants to go out of their way anyway.

What are the costs to you? Financial, time, etc. And what are you going to get out of doing this? Is it actually worth you doing this?
    Hmm, i think its because at this point, he feels i am doing all the work- especially i was the only one that went to the meeting.

The cost isnt a big of an issue. Time is obviously expected as we are third year students. I really want the doc to be the best it possibly can, so i guess it is worth it. It isnt worth it to them and they dont seem to want to care. They think its a waste of time and money.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hmm, i think its because at this point, he feels i am doing all the work- especially i was the only one that went to the meeting.

The cost isnt a big of an issue. Time is obviously expected as we are third year students. I really want the doc to be the best it possibly can, so i guess it is worth it. It isnt worth it to them and they dont seem to want to care. They think its a waste of time and money.
    If nothing else, hopefully he realises that you are doing all the work, and that will factor into the final marks.

ReputationRep:

It's pretty unprofessional of him to say that you shouldn't be on the course based on one issue. That may be true of those that can't be bothered, but you obviously are bothered if you consulted him about it.

Is it possible for you to go to see the person you need to see alone? Then at least you would get the credit and you can prove it. Do you know if your professor is going to give everyone in the group the same mark?

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.