The Student Room Group

University Entrance

Can I get into University with a level 3 BTEC in Health & Social Care and A-level Biology to study LLB (law)? Or do I need more A-levels?
Depending on your grades, and if its an Extended Diploma, yes.

Not all will - its not an especially relevant BTEC and some Unis will want an 'essay' subject at A level - but have a look at each Uni's entry requirements and if its not clear, then email them and ask.

Just one example : https://www.brighton.ac.uk/courses/study/law-llb-hons.aspx
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply. It's a Sub diploma in Health and Social Care and I'm hoping to get a B in Biology A level and talking about most Unis. Will I be able to do law with those qualifications?
Original post by Soroh Smith
Thanks for your reply. It's a Sub diploma in Health and Social Care and I'm hoping to get a B in Biology A level and talking about most Unis. Will I be able to do law with those qualifications?

That probably wont be enough for a full degree course - you usually need the equivalent of 3 A levels and thats only 2.

Have a look at Foundation courses instead.
(edited 5 years ago)
A lot of the lower unis can be quite flexible in their entry requirements, even if their website says otherwise. You can email them to ask if they'd take you -- they might tell you the truth or merely repeat their website. The only way to be sure is to put in an application to the unis you like.

I would suggest nursing or something else; much easier to get a career out of it, than a law degree from UWE or Brighton.
I’d suggest something medical seeing that’s what all your A-levels are catered around... I know dental nursing/hygiene is 2 A-levels or equivalent for diphe and there’s a huge demand for that so lots of job opportunities

Check Portsmouth uni, Cardiff and I believe Bristol also do it
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
What if I did the national diploma in Health and Social Care, not just the sub diploma and had a B in Biology A-level would I able to do law?
Original post by returnmigrant
That probably wont be enough for a full degree course - you usually need the equivalent of 3 A levels and thats only 2.

Have a look at Foundation courses instead.
What if I did the national diploma in Health and Social Care, not just the sub diploma and had a B in Biology A-level would I able to do law?

That would equal 3 A-levels or equivalent but would you be let in without any maths, economics or business tho? You’d have to check individual unis and see whether they require certain subjects
Reply 8
Original post by JordyJRT
That would equal 3 A-levels or equivalent but would you be let in without any maths, economics or business tho? You’d have to check individual unis and see whether they require certain subjects

Thanks. Do you know if it would be possible to do the national diploma online once I've already done the sub diploma in college?
Thanks. Do you know if it would be possible to do the national diploma online once I've already done the sub diploma in college?

I mean probably but since the BTEC’s work by adding extra units to build up from sub diploma, diploma etc 2/3 of the course will be exactly the same as you’ve done previously
Reply 10
Original post by JordyJRT
I mean probably but since the BTEC’s work by adding extra units to build up from sub diploma, diploma etc 2/3 of the course will be exactly the same as you’ve done previously

I want to continue it online, just do the second year of it to gain the national diploma not redo what I've already done. I can't find it anywhere online.
I want to continue it online, just do the second year of it to gain the national diploma not redo what I've already done. I can't find it anywhere online.

I’m actually not even certain you can do the pearson BTEC online... I’ve found a few options most wouldn’t consider great unis but that you could get into with you’re grades

University of Bedfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Bournemouth University
Canterbury Christ Church University (foundation year specifically)
Reply 12
Will universities accept 2 sub diplomas in different subjects with 1 A-level.
Have you used the UCAS calculator to calculate what points your qualifications are worth: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/tariff-calculator

I would also say it's worth getting in touch with the uni(s) you are interested in to ask them if they accept your current qualifications and if not, what you'd need to do to be considered. A lot of uni's will put their course entry requirements on their website, and the equivalents if you've not done A levels etc. It's likely you'll also need GCSE maths and English and a really good personal statement, which is just as important as the grades! Each uni will be completely different so you need to work on a case by case basis.

Good luck.

Vicki
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending