threeportdrift
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Ciel.)
🤬🤬🤬
Thoughts?
It can. It's part of the body, the chemistry works in the same way.
Ben878 (LfL)
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Not quite an answer, but your body can get scarred (not repairable), so can your mind (from the horrors that life can do to us)
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by threeportdrift)
It can. It's part of the body, the chemistry works in the same way.
In many cases, it can't. For example, depression doesn't just go away, no matter how long you wait. Same with ptsd.
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Ciel.)
In many cases, it can't. For example, depression doesn't just go away, no matter how long you wait. Same with ptsd.
Not true in either case, and not true in many illnesses of the rest of the body. But anyway, modern medical interventions can accelerate the healing of both mind and body, it can sometimes be a difficult journey that needs to be tailored to circumstances, that's all. Depression and PTSD are entirely curable, I've had diagnoses of both and neither affect my day to day life now.
TheNamesBond.
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I don’t think it’s a matter of healing as it is decreasing the damage
L.D.S.
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Not true in either case, and not true in many illnesses of the rest of the body. But anyway, modern medical interventions can accelerate the healing of both mind and body, it can sometimes be a difficult journey that needs to be tailored to circumstances, that's all. Depression and PTSD are entirely curable, I've had diagnoses of both and neither affect my day to day life now.
Correction, they’re treatable but not curable- the symptoms can be treated and worked on but once they have gone you can’t say you’ll never experience the symptoms again in the future. Unlike say chicken pox where once you get it once you’re immune to it for life.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
byeongkwans
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
It can’t naturally heal itself but it could heal with the aid of therapy. On a biological level, the brain is capable of healing itself through neuroplasticity. New neuronal pathways can be formed, behaviours can be unlearned. You can be taught to think in a better way and to cope with traumas better.
Last edited by byeongkwans; 6 months ago
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by L.D.S.)
Correction, they’re treatable but not curable- the symptoms can be treated and worked on but once they have gone you can’t say you’ll never experience the symptoms again in the future. Unlike say chicken pox where once you get it once you’re immune to it for life.
Semantic b*****ks. You have an illness if it affects you in some detrimental way, you do not have an illness if you once had an illness that has gone away, but could come back. I had breast cancer, it's been treated. I do not currently have breast cancer. It could come back. I am not ill just because of those 3 statements being true.

No-one is demonstrably immune to mental health issues, and people live perfectly fine lives before mental health issues strike them, and in neither case do we say they have an illness. So if you have an occurrence of depression or ptsd and it goes away, you are cured. You can break a leg and be cured, if you break a leg a second time, you don't ascribe it as inevitable or a likelihood because there had been a previous leg break.

Mental health issues are largely invisible, unlike breaks, rashes, wounds etc. That makes them neither false, nor an excuse to dip out on getting to grips with the potential of a full recovery.
ltsmith
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
it can. google neuroplasticity
Ciel.
Rep:
?

I don't believe that.

(Original post by chooseanother)
It can’t naturally heal itself but it could heal with the aid of therapy. On a biological level, the brain is capable of healing itself through neuroplasticity. New neuronal pathways can be formed, behaviours can be unlearned. You can be taught to think in a better way and to cope with traumas better.

Therapy doesn't work for everyone, unfortunately.

(Original post by ltsmith)
it can. google neuroplasticity
Interesting but I don't think it applies when it comes to post trauma mental health issues.
L.D.S.
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Semantic b*****ks. You have an illness if it affects you in some detrimental way, you do not have an illness if you once had an illness that has gone away, but could come back. I had breast cancer, it's been treated. I do not currently have breast cancer. It could come back. I am not ill just because of those 3 statements being true.

No-one is demonstrably immune to mental health issues, and people live perfectly fine lives before mental health issues strike them, and in neither case do we say they have an illness. So if you have an occurrence of depression or ptsd and it goes away, you are cured. You can break a leg and be cured, if you break a leg a second time, you don't ascribe it as inevitable or a likelihood because there had been a previous leg break.

Mental health issues are largely invisible, unlike breaks, rashes, wounds etc. That makes them neither false, nor an excuse to dip out on getting to grips with the potential of a full recovery.
people with mental health illnesses such as depression also have neurophysical changes in their brain and there are plenty of genetic and neurochemical links too. This means that under the 'right' environmental conditions, an individual can be more likely to be predisposed to developing the illness.

I'm not saying treatment for depression or similar is never fully successful, of course, people can have one depressive episode and then never experience depression again. However, I don't think it's entirely curable as there are other people who struggle throughout their lives with a mental illness because they're predisposed to it and have differences compared to someone who might be less affected by it.
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by L.D.S.)
people with mental health illnesses such as depression also have neurophysical changes in their brain and there are plenty of genetic and neurochemical links too. This means that under the 'right' environmental conditions, an individual can be more likely to be predisposed to developing the illness.
Same with any genetic predisposition - like many, many cancers. You aren't ill if the cancer hasn't occurred yet and you aren't ill if the cancer has been treated and hasn't re-occurred, even if there is a 'yet' involved.
Ciel.
Rep:
?
(Original post by ScullywagonNine)
because it doesn't work like that. Go learn some basic biology. The brain is the centre for emotion and thought. It doesn't repair itself because it simply isn't an issue. Me being scared of the dark and me liking chocolate work the same way, as with "mental illnesses" that are just basic thoughts that the humans have deemed "not normal"
You clearly don't know anything about the human mind.
ltsmith
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Ciel.)

Interesting but I don't think it applies when it comes to post trauma mental health issues.
Unfortunately not, it's mainly a mechanism for repairing physical injuries to the brain. E.g. people who suffer trauma from car accidents or fights.

There's not much knowledge on neuroplasticity as a component of treatment in depressed patients. It would be a breakthrough though if the mechanisms of neuroplasticity in depression were known.

This medical paper is an interesting read if you want to learn more: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5299163/
Ciel.
Rep:
?
(Original post by ltsmith)
Unfortunately not, it's mainly a mechanism for repairing physical injuries to the brain. E.g. people who suffer trauma from car accidents or fights.

There's not much knowledge on neuroplasticity as a component of treatment in depressed patients. It would be a breakthrough though if the mechanisms of neuroplasticity in depression were known.

This medical paper is an interesting read if you want to learn more: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5299163/
Thought so. Maybe one day...

Thanks, will check it out.
TommyDH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
It can and does. The brain often rewires its self under the right conditions. Sometimes it takes a conscious effort though.
username4316350
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Ciel.)
i dont have depression but i was listneing to joe rogan yesturday and he was talking about this book below wich was interesting

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lost-Connec...ns+johann+hari
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

Are cats selfish

Yes (71)
57.72%
No (52)
42.28%

Watched Threads

Latest