The Student Room Group

nomaru's gyg

Hello, I am nomaru, and this is my AS GYG! Hopefully the next few months will have me getting to where I need to be for my AS grades. This year I am studying maths, further maths, and physics under edexcel, as well as computing under ocr. Here I will be posting weekly updates on my studies and stuff. Also I can't format for **** on here so oh well, I guess this block will have to do. AS target set by school: BBBB. I'm still aiming for those top grades anyway, always good to aim high, right?
Fellow AS student here - hello! :groovy:

Formating on this website can be a real pain in the, yeah. My gyg is all over the place...

Good luck! :rave:
Reply 2
Best of luck! :woo:
Reply 3
Tomorrow I'm receiving my computer science test results for the test I did before Christmas! Hopefully I did well, in the test before this one I got an A, and I'm hoping to keep this up as computer science is by far my strongest subject. Today I'll be doing computer science and physics homeowork that's due in tomorrow (wowie!). Then tomorrow I'm doing the rest of a C1 maths paper and hopefully the majority of the C2 paper in my free. I can't wait until Saturday, mainly because I'm going to the welcome event for the durham supported progression. I heard durham was good for sciences from some people at school.
Reply 4
Original post by emilynxlan
Fellow AS student here - hello! :groovy:

Formating on this website can be a real pain in the, yeah. My gyg is all over the place...

Good luck! :rave:

Thank you, and good luck on your own gyg! :thumbsup:

Original post by nyxnko_
Best of luck! :woo:

Thank you!
Reply 5
It's good to have a few ideas for uni at this point. What degree are you thinking of studying?

PS. I think you should use a larger font size, because, well, this is what it looks like for me:
Reply 6
Original post by Sinnoh
It's good to have a few ideas for uni at this point. What degree are you thinking of studying?

PS. I think you should use a larger font size, because, well, this is what it looks like for me:

Yeah, I guess since I write fairly small irl i don't realise how small it actually is.
Honestly I'm not 100% sure on degrees. It probably depends on how my thoughts on each subject (as well as ability) change throughout the year. I'm currently thinking of comp sci (as I was back when I enrolled) but I'm leaving that open to change for now - as long as my a level choices allow for it of course.
Reply 7
Yeah, so I got results from two tests back - a B for my comp sci class test and a D in a physics homework paper. I'm a bit let down by the physics ngl. Today I'll finish my C1 paper and mark it, as well as some coding. The only physics homeowork I got for physics was paper corrections, due in for Monday. Anyhow, I can always try harder for the next test. I have the welcome event on Saturday but right now I'm feeling too stupid for university in general.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
Today I marked my C1 homework paper, which I'm happy I got 75% on, though I'm not sure what grade that would be exactly, but I'll use something I've seen be used before at A level (80% for A, 70% for B, etc.) and say I got a B on the homework. There's still a question I need to ask about because I don't quite understand it. I've also completed the trig homework for Tuesday. i can't wait for the welcome event at Durham Uni tomorrow, honestly I want to see what the comp sci is going to be like.
Reply 9
well done with the C1 paper! :woo:
Reply 10
Yeah, so today's welcome event went by pretty well. We got to speak to people who had done the program before and they were quite informative. I will likely be attending the spring residential, as well as the compulsory summer residential. We also got some clarification about how a subject may be passed on to another department to be checked if we wish to apply for a joint honours course or something like nat sci. Tomorrow I should be getting next week's homework out of the way, which will be good.
Original post by nomaru
Yeah, so today's welcome event went by pretty well. We got to speak to people who had done the program before and they were quite informative. I will likely be attending the spring residential, as well as the compulsory summer residential. We also got some clarification about how a subject may be passed on to another department to be checked if we wish to apply for a joint honours course or something like nat sci. Tomorrow I should be getting next week's homework out of the way, which will be good.

glad to hear the event went well:woo:
Reply 12
Original post by entertainmyfaith
glad to hear the event went well:woo:

Thank you! I hope the spring residential will be good too, as I will get to meet others doing computer science, as well as hopefully finding out more about the assessed project. I don't know where the summer residential is but the spring one is in Grey College. i'm looking forward to that, but maybe not the fact that it happens 1 month before my AS exams.

Anyway, I have been set up an appointment with a careers person next week, so that's good. Today I'm doing flash cards and further maths homework; the tests for maths aren't due in til Friday and I have no coding homework for Thursday. It's very close to double digits of days until the 1st of May and I am **underperforming** in most subjects so I better get on with it.

Though it feels like I'm going to get tons of work thrown at me next week.
Reply 13
Since it's nearly Thursday might as well put down the plan for it

So Thursday (To Do)
~ Return books to library
~ Work on coding challenge 33
~ Put away this week's physics notes

Also tsr's been allowing me to format recently? Hopefully this doesn't end anytime soon.
Reply 14
Anyway, so today I've had further maths, computer science, and maths. In my frees I managed to get my maths homework for Tuesday done although I got quite distracted during them. I talked to my teacher about my maths and further maths attainment so far; he is still surprised that I'm doing better in f.maths than maths.So today I will do an essay for comp sci, as well as finishing off the coding challenge.Then I might do the physics homework for Monday.
Reply 15
Feels like I haven't updated in forever - it's been a busy week.
Next week I have 3 tests coming up, as well as having a maths test tomorrow. I've been revising more than usual which I hope will reflect itself in my performance.
The tests after that are as follows:
Monday - further maths test
Tuesday - physics mock
Friday - second maths test
So hopefully I'll be able to manage this week ok.
good luck with your tests! :rave:
Reply 17
Original post by nyxnko_
good luck with your tests! :rave:

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending