Should I bring up one of my parents' political career as inspiration? Watch

LibertyPrime
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
One of the reasons I got so interested in my desired field is because one of my parents held an important political position in my home country. Is it a good idea to mention this? Would the unis like my personal statement more because of this or would they raise an eyebrow and sort of look down on it?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
If it’s the truth then it’s fine. Just stick to how it mattered to you instead of boasting about how important your parent was/is.
Supernovas
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
It just depends how you word it. My friend wanted to study international business because she was inspired by her father who went from owning a convience store in her home country, to buying into a franchise in England and she wanted to understand how changes in the global economy can affect business decisions.

She worded it in a way of which it directly linked to her course and didn't seem as if she was attempting to go down the nepotism route. She worded it like "seeing my father go from owning a convience store in (not going to say the country), to buying into a (not going to say the type of franchise) franchise acted as a catalyst for my desire to study international business. I was marvelled at the difference between the two economies and how geographic location can....."

I reworded it heavily as she did send her UCAS off this cycle
LibertyPrime
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by PQ)
If it’s the truth then it’s fine. Just stick to how it mattered to you instead of boasting about how important your parent was/is.
Do you think it would be beneficial if I mention it? Being completely honest and considering the things that de facto really matter to universities, would they like it if I bring up that my dad was an important figure? I'm not trying to go down the nepotism route (although I don't think that term is applicable here, seeing as how nepotism would only relate to relatives), but would mentioning it make any difference whatsoever for the better?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (35)
7.25%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (285)
59.01%
No (163)
33.75%

Watched Threads