Manchuria crisis Watch

Fayeeeee
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So you know how in feb 1933 that the leagues report was approved in assembly by 42-1 votes, was that good ?? Could they not go through with it because of Japan’s 1 vote?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Fayeeeee)
So you know how in feb 1933 that the leagues report was approved in assembly by 42-1 votes, was that good ?? Could they not go through with it because of Japan’s 1 vote?
No, that is not the reason.
LeapingLucy
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Fayeeeee)
The issue was that the League of Nations didn't have the power to stop Japan from invading China. They could vote to declare it wrong, but that was it - they had no power to enforce it. Japan didn't listen and just left the League.

The only tool the League had was to place economic sanctions on Japan, but Japan's biggest trading partner - the USA - had never joined the League, so any sanctions imposed by only League nations were not likely to have a significant effect on Japan's economy.
LeapingLucy
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
https://www.tutor2u.net/history/refe...crisis-1931-33

This is quite a good summary
Fayeeeee
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by LeapingLucy)
The issue was that the League of Nations didn't have the power to stop Japan from invading China. They could vote to declare it wrong, but that was it - they had no power to enforce it. Japan didn't listen and just left the League.

The only tool the League had was to place economic sanctions on Japan, but Japan's biggest trading partner - the USA - had never joined the League, so any sanctions imposed by only League nations were not likely to have a significant effect on Japan's economy.
Ahh thanks 🙂
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (53)
8.72%
I used to but I don't now (16)
2.63%
No, but I want to start (222)
36.51%
No, I am unable to (141)
23.19%
No, I chose not to (176)
28.95%