pikachupiggy
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Should I do GCSE further maths? I’m currently in year 11 and the school plans on starting the course next week,meaning we’ll only get around 4 months to study a WHOLE gcse. Is it manageable in such a short period of time or is it just not worth it at this stage of the year?
dancesingact
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I wouldn't say it is worth it unless you're already set to achieve very high in normal maths GCSE. If everyone in your class is doing it then it must be something they thought through but if you have concerns I would say to talk to the teacher and make sure you will still get revision in class for your normal GCSE maths.
Zaspo
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by dancesingact)
I wouldn't say it is worth it unless you're already set to achieve very high in normal maths GCSE. If everyone in your class is doing it then it must be something they thought through but if you have concerns I would say to talk to the teacher and make sure you will still get revision in class for your normal GCSE maths.
If you like maths and have a passion for then you should
Notnek
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by pikachupiggy)
Should I do GCSE further maths? I’m currently in year 11 and the school plans on starting the course next week,meaning we’ll only get around 4 months to study a WHOLE gcse. Is it manageable in such a short period of time or is it just not worth it at this stage of the year?
Unless you are sure you're getting a 9 in GCSE maths, learning FM at this late stage will be disruptive and could prevent you getting the best grade you can get in maths. It's important to realise that GCSE maths is the important qualification and is the one that universities/employers etc. will care about in the future.
Notnek
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Zaspo)
If you like maths and have a passion for then you should
There are lots of other things that someone can do if they have a passion for maths. Students learn all the GCSE FM content anyway at A Level so rushing through it in 4 months seems pointless to me. But most importantly, learning a full FM course and revising for the exam will be very disruptive for someone who still needs to work on GCSE maths - we don't know the OPs current grade.
sotor
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
my school did further maths in 6 months! highly recommend if you dont find understanding content on the new GCSE particularly difficult. definately if youre planning on doing A level maths!

if not - it's a tough GCSE. most of my friends who did it and got mostly As/A*s overall got a C/B in it. It does offer a Dist* which can look impressive if you can achieve it.

in terms of the course, if you like maths you will love it. i loved my further maths gcse, it was all pure maths and i found it much more problem solving and just downright more interesting than regular maths!
Last edited by sotor; 2 years ago
username4167452
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's too hard i wouldnt reccomend (and thats coming from me, someone who is very smart )
Switch01
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I was able to get an A* in it with just year 11 (my school switched specs from edexcel to AQA and the content was completely different)
But that was with 10 months of school, you have about 5 months. Honestly (Only if ur currently gettings 7+/8s in math or higher), You can do it and get an A/A*. BUT IT WILL TAKE SOME EFFORT, its a short GCSE compared to regular math but the questions are hard. Although its late, if i were u id take the challenge, its doable, but again only if currently ur able to get like high 7s or low 8s with minimal revision
Notnek
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Switch01)
I was able to get an A* in it with just year 11 (my school switched specs from edexcel to AQA and the content was completely different)
But that was with 10 months of school, you have about 5 months. Honestly (Only if ur currently gettings 7+/8s in math or higher), You can do it and get an A/A*. BUT IT WILL TAKE SOME EFFORT, its a short GCSE compared to regular math but the questions are hard. Although its late, if i were u id take the challenge, its doable, but again only if currently ur able to get like high 7s or low 8s with minimal revision
If someone is getting 7s/8s then if they put their full effort into GCSE maths then they can get a 9. Unless the student is predicted a safe 9 for maths, it's silly to risk it at this late stage. The GCSE maths grade is the one that matters.
jacqueslaflame
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i think that it could be a good addition if you really do like maths but i don’t think it makes much difference in the future even if you want to do further maths at a level i don’t think it’s going to give you a huge advantage

i’m doing further maths a level and i never did a gcse in further however i’m getting along fine on the other hand however doing the gcse could give you an idea of whether or not you would like to do it at a level and although i said it’s not needed i’m sure it would provide some benefits

have a look at the course your school is planning to do and see how much it interests you because 4 months is still a very short time and you don’t want it to affect your other gcses
Last edited by jacqueslaflame; 2 years ago
Chikorita00
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you want to do Further Maths for A level I’d say definitely do it, I didn’t do gcse Further Maths and I struggled a lot in the beginning of AS, as I moved school and everyone else has learnt Further Maths in gcse
I didn’t understand back then, that the harder you work for gcse, the easier alevel would be
username3434964
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My school is teaching GCSE further maths for 1 year for the year 11s once a week for like 45 mins
pikachupiggy
(Original post by Switch01)
My school told me it was only about five extra topics, and the rest of the course was basically just the regular gcse. Is this true? Because that doesn’t seem like too much, it sounds too good to be true for a whole gcse...
username2871748
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Do it if you are confident you will get a good grade in normal maths. And if you have a good passion for it.

You will learn everything in AS anyway if you decide to take a level maths.

Do you really need an extra grade? It will not help in any way unless you want to do a level maths, then you will only have a small headstart. Universities might appreciate that you decided to take an extra GCSE but employers won't care.
Notnek
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My school told me it was only about five extra topics, and the rest of the course was basically just the regular gcse. Is this true? Because that doesn’t seem like too much, it sounds too good to be true for a whole gcse...
Yes but they are harder than GCSE maths topics so the average student will need longer than 4 months to learn everything and get used to the exam/revise. What grade are you currently on in GCSE maths?

You say ‘too good to be true’ but there’s no real advantage in having an extra GCSE. Maybe you will be proud if you do well but you’ll forget it once you start A Level.
chocolattee
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah, there aren't too many topics and for me, our school taught it in a few months. I would say go for it if you really enjoy maths (and you're getting good grades in maths generally) and you're willing to work hard for it. I personally found a lot of the gcse further maths topics very interesting. (also it's helped me a bit with some of the AS level maths i'm doing now but not to like a large extent.)
Notnek
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by kurro)
Do it if you are confident you will get a good grade in normal maths. And if you have a good passion for it.

You will learn everything in AS anyway if you decide to take a level maths.

Do you really need an extra grade? It will not help in any way unless you want to do a level maths, then you will only have a small headstart. Universities might appreciate that you decided to take an extra GCSE but employers won't care.
Universities won’t care either.
username2871748
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Notnek)
Universities won’t care either.
Oh really? I didn't know.
I didn't take it at the time you see, maths was too hard. But I find it easier at A level
pikachupiggy
(Original post by Notnek)
Yes but they are harder than GCSE maths topics so the average student will need longer than 4 months to learn everything and get used to the exam/revise. What grade are you currently on in GCSE maths?

You say ‘too good to be true’ but there’s no real advantage in having an extra GCSE. Maybe you will be proud if you do well but you’ll forget it once you start A Level.
I’m currently a grade 7 in maths. In all honesty I just don’t want to feel like I’ve missed out, as I want to do A level maths and I feel like I won’t have that head start other people have. I don’t want to start A level maths this year and regret not taking it at GCSE. But I’m not sure if that reason outweighs the fact that this extra GCSE could disrupt all of my other subjects lol
Notnek
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I’m currently a grade 7 in maths. In all honesty I just don’t want to feel like I’ve missed out, as I want to do A level maths and I feel like I won’t have that head start other people have. I don’t want to start A level maths this year and regret not taking it at GCSE. But I’m not sure if that reason outweighs the fact that this extra GCSE could disrupt all of my other subjects lol
Then you should put all your efforts into getting an 8/9. You won’t be missing out if you don’t take FM - as you said it’s only a few topics which you’ll be taught in A Level anyway. I know a few students who were on a similar grade to you and were learning FM in school when they should have been improving their maths grade. It’s likely that these students would have achieved a better grade in maths if they didn’t do FM. Remember that the time that you’ll spend learning FM in school will replace maths revision lessons.

Tagging Muttley79 who’s also a teacher.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (77)
29.84%
No (181)
70.16%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise