Maself
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello there,
I wanted to know if original bank statements are good enough to proof one’s residency in the UK for Student Finance?

My second question is, Can letters from the head office of a bank and a branch manager be accepted if the said bank can not give me statements for a certain time frame because they don’t keep records for the length of time I requested statements for? (ie I wanted statement from January 1998 when I opened the account till September 2018 but they could only give me from January 2010 to September 2018. However, the head office of the bank and my local branch manager provided me letters that confirmed I had an active account since January 1998 and stated the reasons why they couldn’t provide me with statements for the whole time frame I requested.)
Kind regards.
Last edited by Maself; 2 years ago
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Bank statements are not normally considered proof of residency. They’re good supporting evidence but it’s possible to have active UK bank accounts without living in the UK.
Shahrzad SFE
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Maself)
Hello there,
I wanted to know if original bank statements are good enough to proof one’s residency in the UK for Student Finance?

My second question is, Can letters from the head office of a bank and a branch manager be accepted if the said bank can not give me statements for a certain time frame because they don’t keep records for the length of time I requested statements for? (ie I wanted statement from January 1998 when I opened the account till September 2018 but they could only give me from January 2010 to September 2018. However, the head office of the bank and my local branch manager provided me letters that confirmed I had an active account since January 1998 and stated the reasons why they couldn’t provide me with statements for the whole time frame I requested.)
Kind regards.
Hi,

Here is some general information regarding 'bank statements' as proof of residency.

Original bank statements must cover start of course and show regular UK activity. The dates to use on a statement are those that are transactions; bill payments, ATM machines and card payments and we do not count any interest payments especially at the beginning of the period.
Duplicate bank statements can only be accepted as full evidence if they are either:
- Received with a cover letter from the bank,
- Stamped by the bank
- State they are a duplicate.
(If the statements do not meet this criteria then they are unacceptable)
EDOSTAR statements can be accepted as full evidence as long as they are received with a cover letter on headed paper from the bank. Must show regular UK activity.
Internet printed bank statements must be stamped by the bank and must have the banks URL showing.

Normally we can't accept letters from the head office of a bank/a branch manager.

Other examples of residency evidence you may be able to provide us with
- Council tax bills
- Utility bills
- Wage slips
- HMRC letters/HMRC Letter of Employment History
- DWP letters, DLA letters, Jobcentre Centre Plus letters
- Child tax credits letter/Child benefit

For students who are minors (Under 18 at 1st date requested) we can also accept
- Letters from college or school
- Original certificates
- Young person’s account
- School reports

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Shahrzad
Maself
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thanks Shahrzad, my statements has transactions on them month on month, they are original statements sent to me from the bank’s head office. I originally asked for 20yrs worth statements but the bank could only give 8yrs because they don’t keep records for that long. However, they attached a letter explaining and stated the date I opened my account. However, I have others banks statements to cover d missing years.
I have also sent them a letter from my previous uni and other documents. I can’t believe it January and my finance is still not sorted. The university has given me end of January deadline.
Last edited by Maself; 2 years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (55)
13.99%
Virtual campus tours/open days (90)
22.9%
Live streaming events (38)
9.67%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (38)
9.67%
A uni comparison tool (88)
22.39%
An in-person event when available (84)
21.37%