Skyrim
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I don't have a teacher to mark my work as I am self-studying. Could anyone tell me how many marks I would get? I don't know anything about essay technique. Cheers

(a) Describe the main features of representative democracy in the UK today. (10 marks)

In a representative democracy, citizens vote for an individual to represent them in the making of laws and political decisions, this is because regular people cannot be entrusted to make frequent decisions on important issues they have little to no knowledge of. These representatives are elected through regular, free elections to give them authority and safeguard the legitimacy of the system. Most modern Western-style democracies are representative democracies.
In the UK, which is a representative democracy, these representatives are known as MPs, Members of Parliament, and are elected by the electorate of their respective constituency to serve in the House of Commons of the Parliament of the UK. These MPs are accountable to the citizens who voted for them and are expected to fulfil their demands. Representatives can account for everyone in society and protect the interests of minority groups better than most the population can when voting in a direct democracy. Similar to systems of direct democracy, a majority vote is required to reach a decision and there also exists a wide franchise.
In a representative democracy there are also a range of political parties with different interests and policies; representatives can put forward the demands of voters and make policy proposals that work best for everyone. Citizens of a representative democracy also have fundamental civil rights that cannot be revoked by the government, such as freedom of thought, right to free speech, freedom of religion and the right to protest. Pressure groups – an organisation of people who want the government to alter or enact new policies or legislation to fulfil a certain cause are – also a feature of representative democracy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (277)
15.42%
Uncertainty around my education (281)
15.65%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (178)
9.91%
Isolating with family (127)
7.07%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (80)
4.45%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (150)
8.35%
Loneliness (177)
9.86%
Financial worries (74)
4.12%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (165)
9.19%
Exposure to negative news/social media (128)
7.13%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (159)
8.85%

Watched Threads