angel3
Badges: 6
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi all. Have already posted this in the A levels forum but not sure whether that was the right place. Although I have long finished school and uni, I was hoping to get your insights / advice on the topic of the Welsh Bacc (Advanced). My cousin is currently in Year 12 at a school in Wales. She is studying 4 AS levels and is hoping to achieve A*/As in all of them. Her problem is that her school is also forcing her entire year group to study the Welsh Bacc. From what she has told me, it sounds both stressful and a complete waste of time. She doubts that it will be of any value to her, as she wants to apply to universities in England (most of which do not recognise the qualification). Although she is normally NOT a person to rock the boat, she is getting so frustrated that she is considering just not turning up to Welsh Bacc lessons and refusing to do the work. She is, however, worried about the potential consequences of her non-compliance. For example, could the school give her a negative reference when she applies to unis? Or detention? Worst case scenario - could they kick her out of school for non-attendance of the Welsh Bacc lessons even if she does well in all her AS levels? If anybody here has any experience of dropping the Welsh Bacc without permission, I would be interested to know how your school / college reacted. Thank you.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by angel3)
Hi all. Have already posted this in the A levels forum but not sure whether that was the right place. Although I have long finished school and uni, I was hoping to get your insights / advice on the topic of the Welsh Bacc (Advanced). My cousin is currently in Year 12 at a school in Wales. She is studying 4 AS levels and is hoping to achieve A*/As in all of them. Her problem is that her school is also forcing her entire year group to study the Welsh Bacc. From what she has told me, it sounds both stressful and a complete waste of time. She doubts that it will be of any value to her, as she wants to apply to universities in England (most of which do not recognise the qualification). Although she is normally NOT a person to rock the boat, she is getting so frustrated that she is considering just not turning up to Welsh Bacc lessons and refusing to do the work. She is, however, worried about the potential consequences of her non-compliance. For example, could the school give her a negative reference when she applies to unis? Or detention? Worst case scenario - could they kick her out of school for non-attendance of the Welsh Bacc lessons even if she does well in all her AS levels? If anybody here has any experience of dropping the Welsh Bacc without permission, I would be interested to know how your school / college reacted. Thank you.
You have picked my most hated subject in education the dreaded Welsh Bac. It is of very little use and is not accepted by Oxbridge, Warwick, Durham and a couple of top London universities. There are other universities who dont accept it for science and medicine. The problem is that it is strongly recommended by the idiots in the Welsh Assembly Government and schools like it because it increases the ucas points figures for ther schools. If someone is already doing 4 subjects that is already 1 too many and adding an extra workload in the form of Welsh Bac. It might be useful if students are taking 2 subjects as a third A level but it is counter productive when students are taking 3 or 4 A levels.

Your cousin will probably have difficulty dropping it because schools see it as easy points to make them look good rather than what is right for the individual studentl. She should approach the school and point out is is affecting her A levels and she wants to drop it. If that fails then just do the minimum work and dont worry about passing it.
angel3
Badges: 6
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thanks swanseajack1. Out of interest - did you have to study the Bacc and if so, did you manage to drop it? Also if my cousin does minimum/no work and fails the Bacc, would that show up on her UCAS form? Or could she just choose not to declare the Bacc at all on UCAS? (That would be ideal, especially as she wants to apply to top unis in England and they seem not to recognise it, as you say).

I agree that schools are only doing it because of the points and certainly not because it suits students - ridiculous.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (626)
33.69%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (783)
42.14%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (366)
19.7%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (83)
4.47%

Watched Threads