This discussion is closed.
loon
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
did anybody else find french HL papers 1 and 2 difficult?
i found writing ok, but reading really difficult.
anyone agree?
kenvelshi
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
i took french b (higher level)

it was so much easier than the math methods sl exam. i honestly think i got a perfect grade on the french exam.

the problem is, everyone in my school breezed through it so there aren't gonna be many 7s going around
loon
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
but even a bilingual student in my class didn't know what they wanted - literal answers taken directly from the text, or metaphorical ones, esp. on the diablo question. also the island question was stupid: who was on the island? a man. that was the only possible answer, but it was so obvious everyone thought it must be a trick question. i can't believe everyone in your school breezed through it, half of the 7 students at mine struggled, and as for the rest of us...
kenvelshi
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
the island question was the toughest of the lot because the text was so boring
and some of the true/false questions that followed were a ***** to answer (and worse to justify)

the devil question wasn't tough. u just had to know that the author was writing of a world where there was no wars. this can be observed by the metaphorical mushroom. the devil draws the mushroom cloud (like an atomic explosion) and everybody thinks that it is a normal mushroom (because nobody in the text has ever seen a mushroom cloud)

i have to admit that one of the reasons my school found it easy is because we go to a bilingual school so french b higher is too easy. most don't do french a2 higher because that needs a lot more work than french b
loon
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
but that's the whole point of french A2. it is incredibly unfair that a bilingual school would enter its students in B1 instead of A2, it makes it so much more difficult for those of us who have only learned french at school to get a grade that reflects our hard work and ability. you guys are pushing up the average, making it more difficult for me to get the 6 in french i need to study it at university. if i moved to germany i would no way enter english b1, it would be insulting to both me and the people who had learned english from scratch at school.
but at least i'm reassured as to why you all found it so easy.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Errm, loon sorry before I ask.
Please excuse my poor English.

I'm asking for a friend who does't have internet access; I'm sure loon will be horrified but anyone caught in the same situation may have more sympathy.

Does anyone have experience of applying to UK uni's with only a French Bac. My friend is taking her Bac (EL) in French which is not her native tongue but the main problem seems to be the offers are rejected or unrealistic (18+). Even taking the Bac in French she is expected to do very well in the top few percentile but the admissions people don't seem to have a direct comparison of the French marking system vs the UK one. Does anyone have any experience on this; what is an 18 worth in the UK system?

I suggested that it might be easier to try and just sit the 'A' levels, how hard can higher French be if you've already got a mark better than almost all the native speakers in your French school. Any experience of bilingual people here? (by which I mean better than my English!).

How much coursework is required; could it be done at home? Friends from France who have sucessfully applied for the UK system have all taken 'A' levels after the Bac but she was advised by her school it wasn't necessary. Now it's apparently too late to apply.

Its very confusing, one university which offered places on the equivalent points of a B and two C's offered her a place with 18 in the Bac. No-one every gets 18 unless they are coached, she didn't even get 18 in English which she speaks, writes and uses much more proficiently than any of her teachers.

Any advice, any one in or been through the same?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (294)
34.23%
No (565)
65.77%

Watched Threads