Leah.J
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Could anyone tell me the correct procedure of doing this , or if the followinh is correct .
Mix AgNO3 with NaOH and ammonia ( The NaOH is supposed to create a basic environment but Idk what ammonia is for ) and then shake ? You could also warm the mixture I think, but I'm not sure
BobbJo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tollens%27_reagent

Spoiler:
Show
This reagent is not commercially available due to its short shelf life, so it must be freshly prepared in the laboratory. One common preparation involves two steps. First a few drops of dilute sodium hydroxide are added to some aqueous silver nitrate. The OH− ions convert the silver aquo complex form into silver oxide, Ag2O, which precipitate from the solution as a brown solid:

2 AgNO3 + 2 NaOH → Ag2O (s) + 2 NaNO3 + H2O
In the next step, sufficient aqueous ammonia is added to dissolve the brown silver(I) oxide. The resulting solution contains the [Ag(NH3)2]+ complexes in the mixture, which is the main component of Tollens' reagent. Sodium hydroxide is reformed:

Ag2O (s) + 4 NH3 + 2 NaNO3 + H2O → 2 [Ag(NH3)2]NO3 + 2 NaOH
Alternatively, aqueous ammonia can be added directly to silver nitrate solution.[2] At first, ammonia will induce formation of solid silver oxide, but with additional ammonia, this solid precipitate dissolves to give a clear solution of diamminesilver(I) complex ( [Ag(NH3)2]+). Filtering the reagent before use helps to prevent false-positive results.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university communicated any last minute changes?

Yes, and they were what I was expecting (3)
10.71%
Yes, and they were not what I was hoping for (10)
35.71%
Yes, and they don't change my view on attending uni (2)
7.14%
No, I haven't received any communication (13)
46.43%

Watched Threads