The Student Room Group

Why do people look suspicious when I tell them I’m going on holiday to Pakistan??

Hi at work, told my colleagues that I’m going to Pakistan for 3 weeks- everyone seems funny or weird about it or suspicious like “oh”

One of colleague has just returned from m Dubai and people were normal about it and another is going to Malaysia and everyone was like awesome .

Is it because Pakistan doesn’t have a good reputation in the media? Maybe they think I might be going to marry my cousin lol or that it’s “unsafe”

Would you find it weird - if colleague going to Pakistan for a holiday?

I’m going cos i have family there and to connect with my roots :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Forgive my ignorance but Pakistan to me appears to be a very backwards country, dominated by extremists with a poor attitude towards women. Now that may or may not be the case but is my perception and the perception of many people. Dubai, Malaysia have a different reputation, their association with extremism, terrorism and sexism is not clear in the media. Doubtless these things exist in all countries but most people have never been to or heard of Malaysia, the media does not focus on people from there who commit crimes and the country has never came up in our news as being evil.
cos PAKISTAN AINT NO HOLIDAY FAM
Because Pakistan isn’t exactly a holiday
lol doesnt sound like a holiday - sounds like youre off to join the Taliban lol
Original post by Dudufu
Hi at work, told my colleagues that I’m going to Pakistan for 3 weeks- everyone seems funny or weird about it or suspicious like “oh”

One of colleague has just returned from m Dubai and people were normal about it and another is going to Malaysia and everyone was like awesome .

Is it because Pakistan doesn’t have a good reputation in the media? Maybe they think I might be going to marry my cousin lol or that it’s “unsafe”

Because it’s a shithole country.
Because it's Pakistan.
Original post by Dudufu

Honestly, I wouldn't even go to Dubai because it's a backwards country in my eyes. What is there to do in Pakistan? It is kind of unsafe and isn't your usual holiday destination so that's probably why they think it's unusual.
Original post by hannxm
Honestly, I wouldn't even go to Dubai because it's a backwards country in my eyes. What is there to do in Pakistan? It is kind of unsafe and isn't your usual holiday destination so that's probably why they think it's unusual.

Original post by Seamus123
Because it’s a shithole country.

Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
lol doesnt sound like a holiday - sounds like youre off to join the Taliban lol

Original post by TheNamesBond.
Because Pakistan isn’t exactly a holiday

Original post by tashkent46
Forgive my ignorance but Pakistan to me appears to be a very backwards country, dominated by extremists with a poor attitude towards women. Now that may or may not be the case but is my perception and the perception of many people. Dubai, Malaysia have a different reputation, their association with extremism, terrorism and sexism is not clear in the media. Doubtless these things exist in all countries but most people have never been to or heard of Malaysia, the media does not focus on people from there who commit crimes and the country has never came up in our news as being evil.

you should all be ashamed of yourselves :rofl:
I suppose most Brits who go to Dubai or Malaysia are just going for the sun and hot weather, and probably stay inside resorts/hotels filled with Western Europeans and North Americans. Whereas I doubt many of those sorts of places exist in Pakistan?

Plus, Pakistan is only ever on the news in the UK when something terrible has happened, like a bomb going off or a school massacre, which, rightly or wrongly, doesn’t give people an impression of safety or stability. If things are going well, it’s not newsworthy so we don’t know.
Original post by hannxm

What do you mean? Dubai is a progressive and modern country, where robots have more human rights than women!

Truly a global role model to behold!
Original post by TommyDH
What do you mean? Dubai is a progressive and modern country, where robots have more human rights than women!

Truly a global role model to behold!

That's Saudi Arabia?
Because it spends half the year on fire.
Reply 14
Where in Pakistan are you going to?
Original post by tashkent46
That's Saudi Arabia?

Ah yes you're right, my mistake haha. Still a totalitarian backwards shithole though all the same.
Can't say I've ever seen an advert for a package holiday to Pakistan
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by DrawTheLine

As someone of pakistani heritage, i lol'd

There is **** all to do there.
Original post by DrawTheLine

If you ever did it'd probably include complimentary coloured masks for when you’re snatched.
Original post by Bang Outta Order
you should all be ashamed of yourselves :rofl:

*ashamed*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending