The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Horse at Edinburgh?

Hi!

I just yesterday received an offer from Edinburgh to study computer science (it's my top choice!)

I was just wondering if anyone at edinburgh has taken their horse to uni with them? I'm looking for advice because I can't really leave him with my parents back in London, so I would have to take him with me.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

J
Original post by twodaystoolate
Hi!

I just yesterday received an offer from Edinburgh to study computer science (it's my top choice!)

I was just wondering if anyone at edinburgh has taken their horse to uni with them? I'm looking for advice because I can't really leave him with my parents back in London, so I would have to take him with me.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

J

Oh god, this might be a tough one :ashamed2:

Try to look for a local stables for rent perhaps? You might need to venture way out of Edinburgh for one and a car would probably be necessary
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Ahh yeah it’s not going to be easy 😂
I have a car of my own and I drive so that shouldn’t be too much of a problem but I’ve heard / seen that Edinburgh isn’t too car friendly!
The nearest stables are about a 15/20 minute drive which is the distance I travel currently to get to my stables so it could work I suppose?
Ahh yeah it’s not going to be easy 😂
I have a car of my own and I drive so that shouldn’t be too much of a problem but I’ve heard / seen that Edinburgh isn’t too car friendly!
The nearest stables are about a 15/20 minute drive which is the distance I travel currently to get to my stables so it could work I suppose?

15/20 minute should be fine.

Yeah, I'm a motorist also and I do live quite central in Edinburgh. It can be a bit of a ******* driving, especially around peak times. Don't even get me started about driving around the Princes Street/New Town area.... :facepalm: But once you get out of the proper inner core of Edinburgh then it's fine. Just loads of 20mph zones and enforcement cameras :tongue:

The biggest issue would be getting a parking permit. Edinburgh City Council do not give out permits to those living in purpose built student accommodation, i.e. halls of any type.

They do give permits if you live in any other type of accommodation though, e.g. a normal flat.

Permits aren't cheap either :nope:

Info here: http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/info/20277/parking_permits/440/apply_for_a_residents_or_priority_parking_permit
Oh that’s just pants!! Actually nightmarish because although I plan to move into a flat share eventually with a friend of mine who’s also going to Edinburgh (but into second year because she’s older etc) i was planning on halls for the first year just to keep it simple!
I have neighbours with a flat in Edinburgh though, if I registered to that address would it work?
I feel like every year, at about this time, TSR gets a new thread about people wanting to take their horses to uni. It's nice to relive the classics. :holmes:
Suspect the University itself will say neigh to having a horse there.
Oh that’s just pants!! Actually nightmarish because although I plan to move into a flat share eventually with a friend of mine who’s also going to Edinburgh (but into second year because she’s older etc) i was planning on halls for the first year just to keep it simple!
I have neighbours with a flat in Edinburgh though, if I registered to that address would it work?

You need to be actually living at that Edinburgh address to be eligible for a permit :frown:

The council also asks for evidence!

I can't remember if any of the accommodation blocks offer on-site parking (so off the public roads) either. Maybe give allocations a ring tomorrow morning and ask? 0131 667 1971 is the switchboard and just ask for "allocations"

Original post by Rock Fan

:borat:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by PhoenixFortune
I feel like every year, at about this time, TSR gets a new thread about people wanting to take their horses to uni. It's nice to relive the classics. :holmes:

Hahah I know right 😂 just wondered if anyone had updated the age old references 😂

Original post by Rock Fan

Most probably, doubt the comp sci dept would like having a horse up Appleton tower 😂

[QUOTE="Blue_Cow;81356534"]
Well that’s annoying 😂 I might just do that and see if I can best the system somehow!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending