Right and Centre Right Users, do you feel welcome on threads? Watch

Professional G
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
This is mainly to the more right wing users, how do you feel when you’re on threads especially ones on certain issues? Do you feel your opinion is respected, valued or you feel discarded?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Let me answer your question as a left-wing person, although you didn't ask: No, I don't. Even though the mods of this website are very good about protecting vulnerable groups from discrimination and hatred, and so are often interpreted as being left-wing, there is plenty of right-wing rhetoric on this site and I often don't feel like my opinions are being respected or valued.

And you know what? That's fine! Other websites like Facebook encase us in an echo chamber of our political allies and make us think on some level that ours is the most common and most intrinsically reasonable political stance in the world. Moving from Facebook to TSR is like plunging into cold water - suddenly it is clear that there are other opinions in the world! This is a place where people who have been indoctrinated in profoundly different directions crash into each other and find out the flaws in the arguments they've been fed. The internet needs more places like this one.
Cordelia Deville
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
TBH, I don't give a flying f what the other tripes think and that is a fact. I've always posted and chatted honestly and if you don't
like honesty, then please GAFY

Just jesting, friends
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Cordelia Deville)
TBH, I don't give a flying f what the other tripes think and that is a fact. I've always posted and chatted honestly and if you don't
like honesty, then please GAFY

Just jesting, friends
Name:  defensive_profile.png
Views: 8
Size:  22.5 KB

Courtesy of Randall Munroe
Professional G
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
Let me answer your question as a left-wing person, although you didn't ask: No, I don't. Even though the mods of this website are very good about protecting vulnerable groups from discrimination and hatred, and so are often interpreted as being left-wing, there is plenty of right-wing rhetoric on this site and I often don't feel like my opinions are being respected or valued.

And you know what? That's fine! Other websites like Facebook encase us in an echo chamber of our political allies and make us think on some level that ours is the most common and most intrinsically reasonable political stance in the world. Moving from Facebook to TSR is like plunging into cold water - suddenly it is clear that there are other opinions in the world! This is a place where people who have been indoctrinated in profoundly different directions crash into each other and find out the flaws in the arguments they've been fed. The internet needs more places like this one.
I don’t think being insulted for stating your own opinion regardless of your political affiliation is normal. I don’t mind debating with others but as soon as they get hostile or calling me insults, i give up
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Professional G)
I don’t think being insulted for stating your own opinion regardless of your political affiliation is normal. I don’t mind debating with others but as soon as they get hostile or calling me insults, i give up
Well, as far as I'm concerned, one can show a lack of respect or recognition for an opinion without openly becoming hostile. Quite often I find myself thinking ''I just spent five minutes writing my point lucidly and convincingly, and you didn't even bother to read it properly before posting your response...'' That sort of behaviour, and some kinds of insult-throwing, often occur because the other person has put you into a box (e.g. ''lefty'', ''vegan'', ''feminist''), and is treating you how they treat everyone in that box. In that sort of situation I try to persist and get through to them as myself, with my individual views.
Kaffee_1998
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Whether my opinion is respected or valued I don’t really care I’ll say what I think and that’s it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (70)
15.91%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (44)
10%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (82)
18.64%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (61)
13.86%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (48)
10.91%
How can I be the best version of myself? (135)
30.68%

Watched Threads