How do you revise for GCSE English language and literature (9-1) Watch

Cena3000
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I am doing my GCSEs this year, and I am unsure as to how to revise for the English GCSEs. If I have to take notes, How do I take notes? Do I just need to do practice papers for English language or do I need to just do papers?
I would really appreciate if someone helps as to how to revise effectively for GCSE English.
Thanks
HRowdn
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
English literature is pretty straight forward in my opinion, just learn the quotes and question criterial (which is probably the most important part) and do at least one practise paper a week. For language I would say read some descriptive short stories from wattpad, and focus on question criteria (-all the AOs applicable). Obviously practise papers are important but for me I needed to practise more for lit, it’s all preference...
Hope this helps
RonnieEl7
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
FOR ENGLISH LIT
Create Quote Banks.
Group quotes by Acts/Chapters. Then by characters. Then by themes. Then by structural or language devices that are relevant.
Do this by creating mindmaps or a table (use MS Word if you can).

Create Character Trackers
This is basically a line graph where you track a variable of a character or theme throughout a novel or a play. For example: Macbeth's descent into a tyrant or The prescence of the Supernatural in An Inspector Calls. Use quotations from your quote bank to give evidence.
Name:  tracker.png
Views: 105
Size:  31.9 KB
Heres an example of one of mine.

FOR ENGLISH LANG
There were two main contributing factors which enabled me to get a 9 in English Lang and these were:
- Past Papers
- Reading books (A Lot, I mean A LOT.)

TRUST ME, before my GCSE English Lang I would never consider even picking up a book but after reading novels (our school made compulsory to read) I found that by reading I developed a further understanding of the mechanics of writing, you'll pick up on writers traits and subjunctions that you could emulate in your creative writing. As well as a new found fluency in your analysis.

Hope this helps.
alinahahahaha
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by RonnieEl7)
FOR ENGLISH LIT
Create Quote Banks.
Group quotes by Acts/Chapters. Then by characters. Then by themes. Then by structural or language devices that are relevant.
Do this by creating mindmaps or a table (use MS Word if you can).

Create Character Trackers
This is basically a line graph where you track a variable of a character or theme throughout a novel or a play. For example: Macbeth's descent into a tyrant or The prescence of the Supernatural in An Inspector Calls. Use quotations from your quote bank to give evidence.
Name:  tracker.png
Views: 105
Size:  31.9 KB
Heres an example of one of mine.

FOR ENGLISH LANG
There were two main contributing factors which enabled me to get a 9 in English Lang and these were:
- Past Papers

TRUST ME, before my GCSE English Lang I would never consider even picking up a book but after reading novels (our school made compulsory to read) I found that by reading I developed a further understanding of the mechanics of writing, you'll pick up on writers traits and subjunctions that you could emulate in your creative writing. As well as a new found fluency in your analysis.

Hope this helps.
What if it's too late to read? My Eng. Lang. Paper 1 is in one day!!!!!!
Anthos
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by alinahahahaha)
What if it's too late to read? My Eng. Lang. Paper 1 is in one day!!!!!!
You mean your mocks? Crikey. I also have English as my first mock on Monday (but Lit, not Lang).
Tolgarda
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by RonnieEl7)
FOR ENGLISH LANG
- Past Papers

Hope this helps.
Wow. I barely read ANYTHING during my GCSEs and somehow got a 9 in language. I wonder how...

In truth, I think practising your skills with past papers trumps reading books quite heavily.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (66)
23.4%
No (216)
76.6%

Watched Threads