The Student Room Group

Acting with no experience.

Am I able to do acting without any background in drama, film or any kind of acting classes. I have chosen to do Art, Criminology and Psychology in college but I think that I have messed up because instead of doing art, I really want to do Drama but then my timetable would interfere with my other classes. I really wanted to become a detective when I grew older but now I want to be an actor which leaves me at a situation where I am stuck in life.
Reply 1
If you’d like to get into acting and not disrupt your timetable, then perhaps sign up for evening acting courses, a youth theatre group or get involved with your local am-dram group! That way it won’t impede on your studies and you can decide later if acting is what you want to pursue, which then you could study at a higher level!
Why do you now want to be an actor? You haven't had any experience so why do you think you would want to do it/be any good at it? You say that previously you wanted to be a detective - so why did you think you would be a good police officer? And why have you now changed your mind?

These are quite different careers - the police tends to be fairly secure employment, with an obvious career structure/promotional possibilities. Acting is extremely competitive, very insecure, often relies on who you know not what you know, no promotional possibilities or career structure, with the majority of actors actually unemployed or employed in other work - very different.

As a Careers Adviser, these are the questions I would ask and would be wondering if your career ambitions are a little flighty because you are unsure (which is normal!) I would wholeheartedly support you considering trying out acting before jumping in with two feet - you may be a natural or you may be absolutely terrible - some people love being on stage and the centre of attention - others freeze!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending