The Student Room Group

Parents forcing me to do Medicine

My parents are forcing me to do medicine and become a GP. I want to be a chemical engineer but they ‘forbid’ it because I’m a girl and said that’s what my brother is doing but he doesn’t even know what he wants to do yet. My parents are threatening to disown me and are telling me I’m not going to be successful if go into any career other than medicine. They got even more annoyed when the career advisor said I should go into engineering or material science and neither of them are currently talking to me and are literally planning my work experience at the local GP without my say l.

What should I do and I’m only in YR11 btw
Original post by Anonymous
My parents are forcing me to do medicine and become a GP. I want to be a chemical engineer but they ‘forbid’ it because I’m a girl and said that’s what my brother is doing but he doesn’t even know what he wants to do yet. My parents are threatening to disown me and are telling me I’m not going to be successful if go into any career other than medicine. They got even more annoyed when the career advisor said I should go into engineering or material science and neither of them are currently talking to me and are literally planning my work experience at the local GP without my say l.

What should I do and I’m only in YR11 btw

At risk of upsetting your parents I will still say follow your heart.
I agree with the above post OP.

At the end of the day it’s your life and not theirs.
You're gonna fail medicine if you don't even want to do it. Huge waste of your time and money. Loads of medical students in Bristol turn into drug addicts trying to deal with the stress.

Source: I'm friends with them.

Try showing your parents the thread. Might make them see some sense lol. You need to be highly motivated and passionate about medicine or you will surely fail. No other outcome.
(edited 5 years ago)
Medicine is a good degree. Maybe just do it. lol no jk. It is a lot of just remembering things - which will get really boring and you'll end up dropping out if you're not interested. Not bcos it is harder than engineering - it isn't (well at least the theory isn't, maybe actually being in a hospital cutting someone open is). - but bcos there is a damn lot of time that it requires.

Or engineering, engineering is cool. 'material science' is not a real degree, neither is 'civil engineering'. Engineering is also crazy hard, enjoy your trig/differentiation/integration lol.
Do you really want to spend your life doing a job you never wanted? Do chemical engineering.
Reply 6
You should probably do what you want to because medicine is a course which requires genuine passion for the subject. Btw going to a placement rn won't really put you at wny harm do if you just do it...you can tailor that experience in your ucas personal statement to any course. Just remember you're only in yr 11 so focus on hitting the grades...don't worry too much, you have plenty of time to figure this out.Maybe tell your parents genuine resons as to why you think its not for you...tbh communication from both sides would be key in this situation

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending