This discussion is closed.
90'S
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
If I get A* in Psychology, A* in Law and A* in biology
can I apply for medicine foundation year ??

ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by 90'S)
If I get A* in Psychology, A* in Law and A* in biology
can I apply for medicine foundation year ??

Why would you want to apply for foundation year? There are standard undergraduate courses (5 year) which will not require Chemistry.

Read https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf for their entry requirements for both 5 year (top half of the document) and their foundation courses (from page 70 onwards)!
90'S
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hi Thank you very much, ive just had a look and all the requiremnts is chemistry and biology and im ony doing psychology law and biology not chemistry
(Original post by ecolier)
Why would you want to apply for foundation year? There are standard undergraduate courses (5 year) which will not require Chemistry.

Read https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf for their entry requirements for both 5 year (top half of the document) and their foundation courses (from page 70 onwards)!
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by 90'S)
Hi Thank you very much, ive just had a look and all the requiremnts is chemistry and biology and im ony doing psychology law and biology not chemistry
No, some definitely don't need Chemistry. Not all med schools need Chemistry as a definite requirement.

GANFYD and meddad may be able to help.

For future reference, please post to https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5611422 because that's where people with knowledge hang out!
90'S
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago

THANK YOU VERY MUUUUCCCCCHHHH!!!!!! i was looking through this and oooohh my word!!! i didnt know psychology was considered as a science in universities of: Sheiffield and Plymouth i am SOOO happy !! also i would like to ask what is biology/human biology are they separate i dont get it I'm doing biology and not human biology. I will really appreciate if you get back to me on this .THANK YOU AGAIN !!
jzdzm
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by 90'S)
THANK YOU VERY MUUUUCCCCCHHHH!!!!!! i was looking through this and oooohh my word!!! i didnt know psychology was considered as a science in universities of: Sheiffield and Plymouth i am SOOO happy !! also i would like to ask what is biology/human biology are they separate i dont get it I'm doing biology and not human biology. I will really appreciate if you get back to me on this .THANK YOU AGAIN !!
Human Biology is a separate A-level that doesn't have all the plant / non-human stuff that normal Biology has. Your normal A-level Biology is fine though, you don't need to worry about this.
Last edited by jzdzm; 8 months ago
90'S
Rep:
?
(Original post by jezami)
Human Biology is a separate A-level that doesn't have all the plant / non-human stuff that normal Biology has. Your normal A-level Biology is fine though, you don't need to worry about this.
THANK YOU SO MUCH! just can someone also correct me if am wrong, i was looking at alevel standard entry requirements for medicine since im doing only one science which is biology, so im currently doing alevels in law, biology and psychology. and universities of : Plymouth, sheffiled biology and psychology is in their entry requirements that means if i get 3a* i can study medicine in either right ? also if i do well in my alevels and i dont perform will in the admission test will i still get in to do medicine? and how do i prepare for my admission test ? is UKCAT, GAMSAT and the other test are they all the same ?what can i do to prepare for these admission tests please ??
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by 90'S)
THANK YOU SO MUCH! just can someone also correct me if am wrong, i was looking at alevel standard entry requirements for medicine since im doing only one science which is biology, so im currently doing alevels in law, biology and psychology. and universities of : Plymouth, sheffiled biology and psychology is in their entry requirements that means if i get 3a* i can study medicine in either right ?
If they didn't specify that they need both, and only that one is needed, then you won't be disadvantaged.

also if i do well in my alevels and i dont perform will in the admission test will i still get in to do medicine?
Well you need to meet the requirements. The admissions teams will reject everyone who doesn't meet it. If the criteria is that you need 600 in UKCAT, you must have 600+. Same for whatever SJT band they want.

The A-Level grades are only relevant for predictions. You must be predicted better / equal to their standard offer. Only after you are interviewed and given an offer (of certain grades) will doing well / not well matter (it obviously matters for Clearing / reapply purposes, but for the majority of applicants: no offer = not getting in that year).

and how do i prepare for my admission test ? is UKCAT, GAMSAT and the other test are they all the same ?what can i do to prepare for these admission tests please ??
UKCAT and BMAT are usually taken by undergraduates. Read https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf for which med schools need which. Then read https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4940004 to see how this year's candidates prepared for UKCAT. Read https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5363928 for this year's BMAT discussion.

GAMSAT is for some medical school's GEM programme. Worry about that if you decide to go in for graduate entry medicine. Read https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5046470 for how candidates prepared for this year's GAMSAT.

If you still want more information re: UKCAT / BMAT / GAMSAT, Google is your friend.
90'S
Rep:
?
If they didn't specify that they need both, and only that one is needed, then you won't be disadvantaged.

Well you need to meet the requirements. The admissions teams will reject everyone who doesn't meet it. If the criteria is that you need 600 in UKCAT, you must have 600+. Same for whatever SJT band they want.

The A-Level grades are only relevant for predictions. You must be predicted better / equal to their standard offer. Only after you are interviewed and given an offer (of certain grades) will doing well / not well matter (it obviously matters for Clearing / reapply purposes, but for the majority of applicants: no offer = not getting in that year).

UKCAT and BMAT are usually taken by undergraduates. Read https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf for which med schools need which. Then read https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4940004 to see how this year's candidates prepared for UKCAT. Read https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5363928 for this year's BMAT discussion.

GAMSAT is for some medical school's GEM programme. Worry about that if you decide to go in for graduate entry medicine. Read https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5046470 for how candidates prepared for this year's GAMSAT.

If you still want more information re: UKCAT / BMAT / GAMSAT, Google is your friend.
Thank you again!
and do i need to book the test or do the test before i get my alevel results? would the admission test (ukcat) results determine which medical school i apply for ? by the way i'm self teaching myself alevel. also you see the test would it include chemistry stuff etc (i'm not studying chemistry
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by 90'S)
Thank you again!
and do i need to book the test or do the test before i get my alevel results? would the admission test (ukcat) results determine which medical school i apply for ? by the way i'm self teaching myself alevel. also you see the test would it include chemistry stuff etc (i'm not studying chemistry
Take them in the Summer or Autumn before the year of entry. For example for 2019 entry you should have taken UKCAT by September 2018 and you need to apply by 15th October 2018 (add one year for 2020 entry and vice versa).

So if you already have A-Levels then it's easy otherwise you'll need to take the UKCAT and hopefully receive a conditional offer (i.e. Offer to study depending on your A-level grades, usually AAA or better).

Yes once you have your score then you may have to apply strategically based on that, some people may even despair enough to take the BMAT because of poor UKCAT results and apply to those unis who require BMAT. For UKCAT you know the results straight away, whereas you need to wait a few weeks for BMAT results.

The admission tests are not there to test your science knowledge, so it shouldn't contain A-Level science questions!
Last edited by ecolier; 8 months ago
90'S
Rep:
?
(Original post by 90'S)
Thank you again!

I'll get myy results this year then i'll take a gap year to gain some work experience in the medicine sector then i will apply for UKCAT and uni etc. I have to do the test before applying to unis right? and which books would you recommend for UKCAT and BMAT. i can't find the tests online for past candiadates which is annoying . and how will i know if i need to apply for foundation year or standard. im so sorry i have loads of questions lool
90'S
Rep:
?
Take them in the Summer or Autumn before the year of entry. For example for 2019 entry you should have taken UKCAT by September 2018 and you need to apply by 15th October 2018 (add one year for 2020 entry and vice versa).

So if you already have A-Levels then it's easy otherwise you'll need to take the UKCAT and hopefully receive a conditional offer (i.e. Offer to study depending on your A-level grades, usually AAA or better).

Yes once you have your score then you may have to apply strategically based on that, some people may even despair enough to take the BMAT because of poor UKCAT results and apply to those unis who require BMAT. For UKCAT you know the results straight away, whereas you need to wait a few weeks for BMAT results.

The admission tests are not there to test your science knowledge, so it shouldn't contain A-Level science questions!

ooooooohhhh i seee !!!! I'll look into it so i can do it in october this year thank you soooo muccchh but how will i know which score is required for which uni and how many unis do you reckon i can apply for ?? can i do the test and alevel this year but go uni near year ? if so do i need to contact the unis and inform them and thank youu sooo much for your help !! and would you recommend me getting a tutor ? for the UKCAT test ? and which book is best for preparation . please
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
66.29%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.71%

Watched Threads